NRL Draft

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Moops

Bencher
Fans are complaining that there is a void now that the season is over (well, we actually have the mouth-watering cricket clashes against the WI and Pakistan!) so why doesn't the NRL have a draft week. It would make the season a week or two longer. I know, I know, the draft was challenged by Terry Hill and thrown out but it certainly adds some spirited discussion/debate. We are missing out on some off-season fun and games.

Just think we could offer Nth Queensland Matt Orford and Shane Neuman, plus  draft picks 11 and 26 (around there) for Thurston

Would never work in Rugby League, and I hope it never happens personally as well

Players should have the right to choose where they want to go, and the clubs get them early and bring them through their systems and they get an affiliation with the place

Imagine Lussick for example. Manly junior, grew up watching Menzies go round, wants to be like him and play of Manly, is playing for Manly nearly fulfilling his dream, then some other side chooses him and that is that

I think what Moops is talking about is more of a TRADE week, which i don't mind the idea of, could go somewhere along the lines of NBA and the salary cap could be more flexible for players you have had on your books for a longer amount of time.

KE I agree that a DRAFT would not work in the NRL as players would have to be drafted before they played Toyota Cup (or whatever the equivalent is). Players being 16 and drafted sounds messy.

MB is right variations of trades do go on (ie the Bani for Farrar)

Draft would be good for fringe players and the premier league players. Only players who want to enter the draft and each club should put 2-3 up for draft.

Basically what we did with Bani & Farrar.

why would they waste time and money reintroducing something that was found to be illegal?

Why was it illegal for NRL and not for AFL?

Not that I think we should have one, I'm just interested.

Fluffy link said:
may well be illegal for AFL but never challenged.

They may have a clause in their contracts that they are to be available for draft purposes for all that we know i.e. don't agree & sign it then you don't get signed and play.

Yep, the AFL salary cap and draft system, introduced mid-80's, has not been challenged. Their lawyers have worked on the assumption that they are restraints that are reasonable to run a fair and equitable competition and that it would withstand any legal challenge.

Before the draft, several players in the early '80s used restraint-of-trade action in the then-VFL to ensure they could be traded to their club of choice. This resulted in a change to the then existing transfer rules.

if someone decided to challenge the AFL it would fold as well.

whilst it may make sense to the average fan, it wouldnt hold up.

Jeez, I didn't say that I wanted it, or that the NRL should bring it in, I just thought that it added a bit to the year. A lot of my friends are 90% rugby league, 10% AFL. All that they were talking about last week were the AFL trades, even those that didn't directly affect their club of choice. They weren't talkin' Tri-Nations at all! I don't think myself or my group of friends would be on our own either. All we have to talk about in rugby league is the Tri-Nations. Scrap it - give the players an off-season

Moops I reckon a draft is a great talent equalisation scheme, and that we should have something like it.

unfortunately we can't.

its a good thing for the lower clubs to try and build their squads. but the average player doesnt care 2 hoots about the game, except for what they can get out of it.

I understand what you are saying. It is just that the draft is very entertaining. The media in Melbourne is all over it. In the NRL we don't need the draft. The comp is constantly evening out as it is (apart from the Storm). I am not a Swans fan, but even I was hoping that we would get Fevola. Imagine Fevola and the Roosters boys on the piss together at the Coogee Bay?  ;D

If the draft works in AFL, there's no reason it couldn't work in Rugby League.  Every system has its warts and the warts of a draft are grossly over-rated.

Overall the draft works very well in AFL.  Ask any AFL fan.

What's needed is a governing body with enough teeth and smarts to make it happen.

Currently the southern Qld teams (Broncos, Storm & to a lesser extent Gold Coast) get the best quantity and quality of juniors on tap, not because of merit, but because News Ltd won't allow competition for these juniors. So long-term Brisbane & Storm dominate the competition and entry of another (competing) Brisbane team which would dilute the News Ltd teams' dominance is continually deferred by Gallop and his News Ltd hierarchy.  

And that's why Manly's 2nds are being expelled from the Qld competition - to strategically exclude us from fair access to these juniors. A draft would favour teams like Manly.

Moops link said:
Jeez, I didn't say that I wanted it, or that the NRL should bring it in, I just thought that it added a bit to the year. A lot of my friends are 90% rugby league, 10% AFL. All that they were talking about last week were the AFL trades, even those that didn't directly affect their club of choice. They weren't talkin' Tri-Nations at all! I don't think myself or my group of friends would be on our own either. All we have to talk about in rugby league is the Tri-Nations. Scrap it - give the players an off-season

I would rather be talking about the 4 Nations games than some blokes moving from here to there personally

Kiwi Eagle link said:
[quote author=Moops link=topic=181882.msg244264#msg244264 date=1255312997]

I would rather be talking about the 4 Nations games than some blokes moving from here to there personally
[/quote]

The season is too long, Kiwi. These guys are human and we are playing them 9 months of the year(If you include trials it is 10 months). It is vitally important to promote international football but a balance has to be found. Shorten the NRL and Super League season and play the Four Nations in the middle of the year. But then you shorten the season and then things such as revenue get brought up. 

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6