NRL 9's in 2020

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I reckon some of those boys from the "Golden Period" would be Awesome - Snake - Gift - Ox.... 3 try GF hero Robbo??
The better Robbo is on here somewhere....get it done champ - loved seeing Robbo diving over in the corner and likely still has some pace

Steve Bell would have probably gone well with his acceleration , Maybe from a slightly earlier time Andrew Walker as well with his unpredictability . Chris Hicks had some good athletic ability as well and Scott Donald with his genuine speed ..

Forget yesterdays heros ... they were brilliant in their era .... but the modern footballer is just too big, too fit, too fast .... and I want to see how some of the young up and comers go ... let's look forward and blood some young Eagles ....

Fly you little buggers .. just flap your wings and FLY!!

Forget yesterdays heros ... they were brilliant in their era .... but the modern footballer is just too big, too fit, too fast .... and I want to see how some of the young up and comers go ... let's look forward and blood some young Eagles ....

Fly you little buggers .. just flap your wings and FLY!!
Take your point about encouraging and appreciating the current generation of athletic type footy players but think it is also relevant to reflect on previous Manly guys who would still do well in this format , especially with the more intense and extensive training regimes in recent eras . Quite sure that ex Manly players like Russell Gartner , Tom Mooney , Craig Innes , Terry hill , Mick O " Conner and others would have fitted into this category and would be formidable in any era open field format . You were apparently a fairly handy athlete yourself and would still have competed well at your own level in current times , all things relative . The pacific islander boys have no doubt boosted the size and power element to modern day player make up also .

Take your point about encouraging and appreciating the current generation of athletic type footy players but think it is also relevant to reflect on previous Manly guys who would still do well in this format , especially with the more intense and extensive training regimes in recent eras . Quite sure that ex Manly players like Russell Gartner , Tom Mooney , Craig Innes , Terry hill , Mick O " Conner and others would have fitted into this category and would be formidable in any era open field format . You were apparently a fairly handy athlete yourself and would still have competed well at your own level in current times , all things relative . The pacific islander boys have no doubt boosted the size and power element to modern day player make up also .

It is always an interesting conversation comparing yesterdays players .... I just don't want to see any at the 9's ....

Many of the modern players are identified by the time they are 13 yo and are on weight and skills programs for 6 years before they play grade ... the strength and fitness of these blokes is almost inconcievable to the lay person .... of course great players like Fulton from any era would compete with the same level of training .... but the fact is Igor Randall would be considered too small to play halfback in today's game ....

It is always an interesting conversation comparing yesterdays players .... I just don't want to see any at the 9's ....

Many of the modern players are identified by the time they are 13 yo and are on weight and skills programs for 6 years before they play grade ... the strength and fitness of these blokes is almost inconcievable to the lay person .... of course great players like Fulton from any era would compete with the same level of training .... but the fact is Igor Randall would be considered too small to play halfback in today's game ....
To be fair - the Amazing Menzies would be most likely to still go ok, along with Snake....but with players like Guocomole, Schuster, Metcalfe around, it is their time so fair point....I won't be suprised to see Anderson in the squad, Addo Carr style fullback/wing and similar style...

I reckon some of those boys from the "Golden Period" would be Awesome - Snake - Gift - Ox.... 3 try GF hero Robbo??
The better Robbo is on here somewhere....get it done champ - loved seeing Robbo diving over in the corner and likely still has some pace
He broke his leg playing a local comp game a couple years back with my younger bro and walks around like he is 75 years old, the only physical activity he can play now is chess and even then looks like pulling a hammy :) I reckon a few of the boys would be in the same boat

To be fair - the Amazing Menzies would be most likely to still go ok, along with Snake....but with players like Guocomole, Schuster, Metcalfe around, it is their time so fair point....I won't be suprised to see Anderson in the squad, Addo Carr style fullback/wing and similar style...

I would be very very surprised to see Anderson .... by my calculations and opinion he would be about the 234th in line for a backs spot ..... well at least 7th behind Elliott, Funa, Hoppa, Schuster, Smith, Burbo and Miski ...

I am a massive wrap on Cade Cust for the very reason he is no athlete. No giant. Not blessed with blinding speed. He is just a natural footballer playing what he sees and it is just so refreshing.

I would think both Croker and Cust would get a run to show how they handle dummy half ....

NRL Yes - but in 9's the odds are slashed to almost evens imo...
You may be right .. but I don't know what purpose playing Anderson would serve .... I had hopes for the kid, but his defense last year in the 5 or 6 games I watched was deplorable ....

He broke his leg playing a local comp game a couple years back with my younger bro and walks around like he is 75 years old, the only physical activity he can play now is chess and even then looks like pulling a hammy :) I reckon a few of the boys would be in the same boat
Sorry to hear of Michael "s leg injury , he had a relatively injury free N R L so would be disappointing to experience that type of injury . Hopefully both of you [ and following your back injury ] will recover well fairly soon and have some long term luck in avoiding future injuries .

Lot more room to move in a 9 ' s competition , that is the basis of my premise , past era footy players with good elusiveness and speed would or could be still reasonably on par with their modern day versions , irrespective of the more specialized training in more modern times . Unless Anderson has lost some of his acceleration , would certainly put him ahead of guys like Smith at least and not too sure on the number of players in a 9 "s overall squad but no doubt would be further down the order with some of the other young guns available and who may be included ., Also I would have thought that Igor Randell may have been in the same weight range as a guy like Joel Thompson at least or for example .

Sorry to hear of Michael "s leg injury , he had a relatively injury free N R L so would be disappointing to experience that type of injury . Hopefully both of you [ and following your back injury ] will recover well fairly soon and have some long term luck in avoiding future injuries .
Thanks mate, appreciate it. Funny how it goes isn't it? Mick only missed something like 7 games in his time at Manly but couldn't get through 30 mins of park footy

Feb 22
IMG_20200128_192031.jpg

IMG_20200129_034625.jpg

Last edited:
If we can just get through all these pre-season games with no injuries to any Manly players, that will be a big win.

Also I would have thought that Igor Randell may have been in the same weight range as a guy like Joel Thompson at least or for example .

Joel thompson ... who is one of the smaller 2nd rowers going around .... is about 2-3 inches taller than Igor and about 8kg's heavier .....

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2