Nostalgia Time

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

HoldenV8

Journey Man
With the off season its a good time to look back at the history of our game of rugby league.

2019 is the 25th anniversary of the 18th Kangaroo Tour of Great Britain and France, the last of the old style tours where the Kangaroos would not only play tests against Great Britain and France, but also played numerous games against English and French club and provincial teams.

Today is the 9th of November. On this day on that Kangaroo Tour in 1994, the Kangaroos "mid-week" team took on Warrington at the old Wilderspool Stadium. This match had a fair bit of Manly flavour. Warrington born Bob Fulton was the Kangaroos coach and was making his 4th tour and his second as the coach. The first try scorer in the game was a young back row dynamo named Steve Menzies. And the last to score in this game, Terry Hill, crossed for his first try on the tour. Also featured is future Sea Eagles hooker Jim Serdaris.

This is the Channel 9 broadcast of the game with commentary provided by Ray Warren, Peter Sterling and former Great Britain Lions half (and probably their best ever halfback) Alex Murphy.

Nostalgia time .....

In 1972 the Manly Sea eagle won their first Premiership

The same year the Exquisite Belinda Green won the Miss World title

gettyimages-592337408-1024x1024.jpg
gettyimages-592337408-1024x1024.jpg

I worked with Belinda's sister at Telstra around 1980, Belinda inherited all the good genes, but hey!, neither did I
What a small world !
The good news is ........
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder and every one looks beautiful to some one .

More nostalgia time.

10 November 1990
The venue - Old Trafford
The event - The 2nd Ashes test of the 1990 Kangaroo Tour of Great Britain and France.

The 1990 Kangaroos had suffered a shock loss to Great Britain in the first test at Wembley. No unbeaten tour this time around. Suddenly the aura of invincibility was gone and Australia had actually lost its second test in a row to the Lions. Australia had also lost a game on English soil for the first time since 1978, and the game had been a test match no less.

Bob Fulton was under pressure. Australia hadn't lost an Ashes Series in England since 1959 and no one wanted to be the first losing Kangaroos team in over 30 years. A number of changes were made to the side from Wembley, including Cliffy Lyons who came into the side for his test debut. Des Hasler was on the bench this day (as was John Cartwright), but in one of those rare times in modern football.....the bench never got used, at least, the Kangaroos bench wasn't used.

Sit back and enjoy one of the most famous test matches not only in Ashes history but in rugby league history. This is the Ch.10 coverage with commentary by Graeme Hughes, David Morrow, Tony Durkin (sideline), Wally Lewis and Graham Lowe.

The Teams:

Great Britain: Coach - Mal Reilly
Steve Hampson, Paul Eastwood, Daryl Powell, Carl Gibson, Martin Offiah, Garry Schofield, Andy Gregory, Karl Harrison, Lee Jackson, Andy Platt, Denis Betts, Paul Dixon, Ellery Hanley (c). Bench - Shaun Edwards, Kevin Ward, Paul Loughlin, Roy Powell

Australia : Coach - Bob Fulton
Gary Belcher, Dale Shearer, Mal Meninga (c), Laurie Daley, Andrew Ettingshausen, Cliff Lyons, Ricky Stuart, Steve Roach, Benny Elias, Glenn Lazarus, Paul Sironen, Bob Lindner, Brad Mackay. Bench - John Cartwright, Mark Sargent, Des Hasler, Greg Alexander

Last edited:
More nostalgia time.

10 November 1990
The venue - Old Trafford
The event - The 2nd Ashes test of the 1990 Kangaroo Tour of Great Britain and France.

The 1990 Kangaroos had suffered a shock loss to Great Britain in the first test at Wembley. No unbeaten tour this time around. Suddenly the aura of invincibility was gone and Australia had actually lost its second test in a row to the Lions. Australia had also lost a game on English soil for the first time since 1978, and the game had been a test match no less.

Bob Fulton was under pressure. Australia hadn't lost an Ashes Series in England since 1959 and no one wanted to be the first losing Kangaroos team in over 30 years. A number of changes were made to the side from Wembley, including Cliffy Lyons who came into the side for his test debut. Des Hasler was on the bench this day (as was John Cartwright), but in one of those rare times in modern football.....the bench never got used, at least, the Kangaroos bench wasn't used.

Sit back and enjoy one of the most famous test matches not only in Ashes history but in rugby league history. This is the Ch.10 coverage with commentary by Graeme Hughes, David Morrow, Tony Durkin (sideline), Wally Lewis and Graham Lowe.

The Teams:

Great Britain: Coach - Mal Reilly
Steve Hampson, Paul Eastwood, Daryl Powell, Carl Gibson, Martin Offiah, Garry Schofield, Andy Gregory, Karl Harrison, Lee Jackson, Andy Platt, Denis Betts, Paul Dixon, Ellery Hanley (c). Bench - Shaun Edwards, Kevin Ward, Paul Loughlin, Roy Powell

Australia : Coach - Bob Fulton
Gary Belcher, Dale Shearer, Mal Meninga (c), Laurie Daley, Andrew Ettingshausen, Cliff Lyons, Ricky Stuart, Steve Roach, Benny Elias, Glenn Lazarus, Paul Sironen, Bob Lindner, Brad Mackay. Bench - John Cartwright, Mark Sargent, Des Hasler, Greg Alexander

woohoo!

Thanks for that! That was certainly a game where I can do the "I remember exactly where and with who I was watching that with" thing. What a finish.

I was very happy (obv for the win) but with all the b/s GB did with coating the ball and their legs in petroleum jelly to make the ball and themselves slippery in the first test. Just weak character and lame unsportsmanlike rubbish.

But to see.... pushing in scrums!?!?! What's that all about (lol).
Injury time!
And of course Mal still doing the wildly inaccurate toe poke style of kicking.

Thanks goodness we won that one. :whew:

thanks again!

woohoo!

Thanks for that! That was certainly a game where I can do the "I remember exactly where and with who I was watching that with" thing. What a finish.

I was very happy (obv for the win) but with all the b/s GB did with coating the ball and their legs in petroleum jelly to make the ball and themselves slippery in the first test. Just weak character and lame unsportsmanlike rubbish.

But to see.... pushing in scrums!?!?! What's that all about (lol).
Injury time!
And of course Mal still doing the wildly inaccurate toe poke style of kicking.

Thanks goodness we won that one. :whew:

thanks again!

Pushing in the scrums....who'd have thought?

Jelly on the ball, jelly on their legs. The Poms tried every trick in he book and still couldn't get the job done.

Mal's goal kicking.....Daley's kicking had gone to $hit, Alexander was on the bench while neither Snoz or Wishart toured and for some reason they stuck with Mal instead of letting either Belcher or Rowdy kick goals. It almost backfired not having a decent kicker.

Meninga only kicked 15/37 on the English leg of that tour and only 4/11 in the Ashes tests.

Not from last century but last season - For some recent nostalgia best pics of 2019

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4