Northern Eagles - A retrospective look at how it could have worked

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
As the Bears seem to gain steam and be the vultures just outside the league i think we should go to the past to see how easily this could've been done better

Naming

Northern Eagles,Northern where? Northern Territory? What a stupid name to start with,i would have went with North Sydney Eagles,keeping the Bears faction happy that part of their name lives on,the pheonix sounds stupid on every level and was rightfully not even really looked into and North Sydney Sea Eagles is a mouthful,just like MWSE but thats a nitpick for another time

Home Grounds

NSO 4 games
BO 4 games
BTS 4 games - Saturday night-twilight only

The Sydney games are more or less easy to get to,other than the stupid 6pm friday game,I'd be looking at BO/NSO sharing the friday and sunday games,Bluetongue Stadium gets the saturday games because it's a venture for our fans to drive there and gives us the option of staying overnight or being normal and coming home after the game and still sleeping in on sunday

Uniform

MAROON AND ****ING BLACK,alternately we could use the Bears red and black for NSO games/North Sydney rivalry games like Souths,or Bears away Eagles Home,either way the way they went about it was an absolute cluster****,2 shades of red with white and black,what the actual **** thats basically sabotage,also i would have loved a tasteful bear,even faded somewhere on every outfit we wore,even superimposed under the eagle logo,as a sign of respect and mourning,also with the Maroon and Black remember our badass daredevil outfit? Imagine going to the pub/game with that on every week without the marvel ****tery,we could have even alternated every 3 years with the home jersey going from the hoops to the butcher stripes and back again

Ultimately i would have went with Maroon and black and probably the bears away outfit to do the bears side a kindness,because black and maroon wouldn't have been a good alternate

Co-Captaincy - Co-Coaching

This is a no brainer,Toovey and the current bears Captains would have either alternated as captain or been off and on field captains respectively,Toovey being on field,look at the blokes heart,2 coaches could have been better than one,infact given our run as the NSE i guarantee a second coach would have been just what the doctor ordered

Board split - The only part of this merger that would have been pro manly would be in the boardroom,with a 4-3 split,because it's our ****ing license thats why,we are saving you from utter extinction/hibernation,get over yourselves

I think with this plan we could have had a worthwhile and fruitful merger that could be the strongest to this day,but no both sides ****ed it up with pigheadedness and too much factionalism to ever work

As the Bears seem to gain steam and be the vultures just outside the league i think we should go to the past to see how easily this could've been done better

Naming

Northern Eagles,Northern where? Northern Territory? What a stupid name to start with,i would have went with North Sydney Eagles,keeping the Bears faction happy that part of their name lives on,the pheonix sounds stupid on every level and was rightfully not even really looked into and North Sydney Sea Eagles is a mouthful,just like MWSE but thats a nitpick for another time

Home Grounds

NSO 4 games
BO 4 games
BTS 4 games - Saturday night-twilight only

The Sydney games are more or less easy to get to,other than the stupid 6pm friday game,I'd be looking at BO/NSO sharing the friday and sunday games,Bluetongue Stadium gets the saturday games because it's a venture for our fans to drive there and gives us the option of staying overnight or being normal and coming home after the game and still sleeping in on sunday

Uniform

MAROON AND ****ING BLACK,alternately we could use the Bears red and black for NSO games/North Sydney rivalry games like Souths,or Bears away Eagles Home,either way the way they went about it was an absolute cluster****,2 shades of red with white and black,what the actual **** thats basically sabotage,also i would have loved a tasteful bear,even faded somewhere on every outfit we wore,even superimposed under the eagle logo,as a sign of respect and mourning,also with the Maroon and Black remember our badass daredevil outfit? Imagine going to the pub/game with that on every week without the marvel ****tery,we could have even alternated every 3 years with the home jersey going from the hoops to the butcher stripes and back again

Ultimately i would have went with Maroon and black and probably the bears away outfit to do the bears side a kindness,because black and maroon wouldn't have been a good alternate

Co-Captaincy - Co-Coaching

This is a no brainer,Toovey and the current bears Captains would have either alternated as captain or been off and on field captains respectively,Toovey being on field,look at the blokes heart,2 coaches could have been better than one,infact given our run as the NSE i guarantee a second coach would have been just what the doctor ordered

Board split - The only part of this merger that would have been pro manly would be in the boardroom,with a 4-3 split,because it's our ****ing license thats why,we are saving you from utter extinction/hibernation,get over yourselves

I think with this plan we could have had a worthwhile and fruitful merger that could be the strongest to this day,but no both sides ****ed it up with pigheadedness and too much factionalism to ever work
You make a lot of good points for the merger to have worked out but I am happy that we are Sea eagles flying solo

It was never going to work, it was a shotgun marriage, with no respect and just hate.
When Mark Cannon was asked in an interview how he saw the future of the Northern Eagles, his reply was that, in the near future he could only see the Northern Eagles playing full time out of the Central Coast, that was when Arko went ballistic and the rest is history.
As a matter of fact, on his future passing Mark Cannon should be canonised by the Manly faithful, because if it wasn't for him and his stupidity, we would in all probability still be the Northern Eagles.

It was never going to work, it was a shotgun marriage, with no respect and just hate.
When Mark Cannon was asked in an interview how he saw the future of the Northern Eagles, his reply was that, in the near future he could only see the Northern Eagles playing full time out of the Central Coast, that was when Arko went ballistic and the rest is history.
As a matter of fact, on his future passing Mark Cannon should be canonised by the Manly faithful, because if it wasn't for him and his stupidity, we would in all probability still be the Northern Eagles.
He's lucky he's not been canonised already when Igor Randall stated he'd like to put one on his chin back then.

Show me a joint venture that has worked.

St Merge has worked the best. Admittedly St george fans got the better deal (but they were a successful foundation club, so it was always going to happen).

One was White and Red, the other red and white, and were located reasonably close to each other.

The fact they suck now is not a merger issues. They have fundamental issues, like Mcrone at half, and Mary as coach.

Show me a joint venture that has worked.
images-10.jpg

I attended the first game at the Central Coast, just seeing the players reacting to each other you knew it was going to fail.

And then there were all the Manly supporters in one area and the Bear supporters in the other, there was actually a fight at the end of the game , even though we were supposed to be supporting the same side.

My mate, a Knights supporter came to the game with me and thought it was hilarious.

Doomed from day 1!

**** the Bears!

I attended the first game at the Central Coast, just seeing the players reacting to each other you knew it was going to fail.

Serious?, I think that is a incredible piece of RL folklore. I had no idea whatsoever that the players only met just before the first game!
Now having said that, I suspect that not having trained together may have had a enormous influence on the performance. I must say I did not have any affinity with the NE whatsoever and did not see a single game but it is a interesting story.

HOWEVER **** the Bears!

Like Bozo said I'm happy with the outcome and that we are a stand alone club. However, having said that what you have articulated above wouldn't have been a bitter pill to swollow. It definitely would have been a more reasonable situation for both fan bases and the club financially. I'm just happy that it's a what if thread and the mighty Eagles live on..

I've still got a northern eagles jersey signed by beaver, brett kimmorley and whoever else played that year( cause i can't remember!)
if it wasn't for beavers autograph it would be long gone!

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4