North Manly Bowling Club set for shock closure

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The whole of Sydney is being filled by vacuous apartment buildings - why should the northern beaches be exempt?
Uhhh duhhhh coz we are special!

The rules state any vacuous apartment buildings can only go up in DY. Actually Brookvale is a dump, they can have that too. At least Pittwater Council back in the day (like 7/8 years ago) told Meriton sure you can build a big apartment complex in our area but only if it's right next to a sewerage treatment plant...

Let's demolish anything that provides outdoor entertainment and replace it with shopping centres and apartments. The future looks fantastic.

I haven't posted for many years, however you should know that the Leagues Club shafted North Manly Bowling Club by absorbing all of their assets including poker machine licences, and then after running the show at a loss, subsequently losing the Council tender, decided to pull the pin. The assets stay with the LC.

This is despite that the Council offered them another lease of 12 months.

They are negotiating with the owners of their site for an extension of their lease. Penn sold it off to a Chinese developer, I believe, who wants to put DY style units all owner the place.

My grandfather was a foundation member of the Club, so I find this hard to take.

It seems like they wanted to move the main operation to that site...which kind of makes sense, since it is much closer to Manly and more residential than Brookvale. Must be better prospects for increasing trade and revenue.
One would have thought they would have organised that before selling the leagues club, which was sold to recoup the money for purchasing the Sea Eagles. Unless someone buys the us we will end up in Perth.

Does the LC provide any $$$$ for the footy club or the footy department ?
Does having a LC help the footy club in any way, shape or form ?
Other than somewhere to go for a drink and functions after the games that is.

Does the LC provide any $$$$ for the footy club or the footy department ?
Does having a LC help the footy club in any way, shape or form ?
Other than somewhere to go for a drink and functions after the games that is.
The LC pay exorbitant rent to the Owners, thats how they currently help with the cashflow.

Once the Developer gets the DA through Council, this 600k pa income will cease

Interesting times are upon us :nerd:

LC best bet is to set up a joint on or near the corso, especially if they are looking to spend millions setting it up, Fill it with Pokies and take money from Tourists, the place is full every weekend with people visiting. It is the only place you are going to make money out of pokies on the northern beaches. the oldies in northern beaches are old money and don't need to play pokies, the young ones who have moved there can't afford to play pokies because of huge mortgages.

Penn has sucked as much as he can probably get out of the Manly ownership.

It's sell time and there will be buyers.

With everything that is going on in the recent past for our whole organisation, it feels more and more like a strip out of assets leaving us with very few financial options, then a sale to the highest bidder with lots of promises..... this new owner in a few years of not turning a profit turn will sell the franchise to the next highest bidder in Outer Mongolia. We'll be absorbed somewhere. Kind of like what we just did to this bowling club in a roundabout sort of way. Just my hunch anyway. I have no inside info. Just don't like the smell of the place at all.

And things only seem to be accelerating down this path.

I blame much of our current predicament (the last 15 years not just the last 3 or 4) on terrible leadership of the LC. Look at what DY RSL is now compared to 15 years ago. That was foresight and planning and they are a juggernaut. I don’t agree with needing pokies to fund nrl teams but every other club has that kind of funding except us. The leagues was run into the ground while the rsl flourished. I wish they were our partner

The LC has I believe an offer of a 3 year lease extension at Brookvale which is another reason that they didn't have to stay at North Manly.

Ian Thomson stated that they were trying to negotiate a reduction in rent as they found out that the LC was paying far in excess of commercial rates for that area.

My assumption would be that the previous owners, the Penns set that high rate in the first place?

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6