North Manly Bowling Club set for shock closure

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

HappilyManly

Journey Man
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/n...graph&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=editorial

North Manly Bowling Club set for shock closure at the end of the month
Robbie Patterson, Manly Daily
29 minutes ago

NORTH Manly Bowling Club will close its doors at the end of this month, with uncertainty of the site’s future blamed by new owners Manly Leagues Club as the main reason.

It follows a Northern Beaches Council decision to negotiate for a tender of the District Park plan of management with developers Arena REIT and ClubLinks — which runs Moore Park Golf Course — to control the area.

46f4f9b6b491aec803255dcd39108cac

It is set to be the end of an era for North Manly Bowling Club and its members.
The 62ha District Park site in Manly Vale is between Condamine St and Pittwater Rd. It includes North Manly Bowling Club, and 18-hole golf course, Warringah Recreation Centre, rugby league and futsal facilities.

North Manly bowling club was taken over by Manly Leagues Club in April last year. It had been active for 67 years, with about 100 bowlers roughly split down the middle between men and women.

In a statement, Manly Leagues Club said it had planned to invest $8 million in the upgrade and development of the site on the basis that the lease would be extended to 20-plus years.

“With this assurance not forthcoming Manly Leagues Club were left with no alternative than to cease operating at the conclusion of the current lease,” it said.

335f68a981069b5f16fd5389f9afa5df

Disgruntled North Manly Bowling Club members. Picture: Adam Yip / Manly Daily
Manly Leagues Club chairman Ian Thomson spoke with North Manly Bowling Club members on Saturday to explain why the club couldn’t continue trading.

In the meeting he said the bowling club had been suffering from trading losses over the past few years and continued to do so in the 16 months of operation since amalgamation. He said due to the uncertainty surrounding the site there had been declining trade and membership.

The ageing facility- high costs of maintenance and repairs make a short-term lease (12 months) unviable.

Mr Thomson said the decision was emotionally tough.

“We had hoped to be able to rebuild and grow on the site,” he said. “Unfortunately that pathway has been closed and we were left with no alternative but to take the action we have in the circumstances presented to us.

“We will do everything we can to ensure they are welcomed at other bowling clubs in the vicinity.”

525f542f867fecb1f8afc66bcbb00f77

Northern Beaches Mayor Michael Regan. Picture: Adam Yip / Manly Daily
Mayor Michael Regan said there would be bowling facilities as part of the preferred tender, which is still being negotiated.

“The Leagues Club’s submission didn’t get up,” he said. “It was always a risk as noted in their own AGM when they merged with the bowling club that they may not get the lease as the entire site was going out for expressions of interest.”

Manly Leagues was going to relocate here when their own lease runs out in May 2019

https://manlyleagues.com.au/north-manly-home/

LC site :
https://amp.dailytelegraph.com.au/n...q/news-story/f36856afd35d36d7356c044d10c2a612

In 2015, Manly Sea Eagles owner Scott Penn sold the leagues club’s Brookvale-based building to developers who planned to build high-rises on the land.

Under the deal for the 11,700sq m Pittwater Rd site, the leagues club arranged a lease until May 2019.

Mr Norman said the club would be attempting to extend its lease and run both centres in the short term.

“The long-term plan is very set — the North Manly Bowling Club will become our major site,” he said.

“There are opportunities there that aren’t existent at our current site.”

He argued the club would have to spend up to $15 million to build a facility to the council’s liking at District Park, which meant it needed to recoup costs.

“The bottom line is that if they are wanting someone to invest millions of dollars in developing that site into a new clubhouse ... that sort of investment must be paid off,” he said.

“Part of that business model will be some gaming revenue. I can’t imagine it will be done any other way.”

-------
We are as homeless as the Brookie Hobo :eek:

Last edited:
Ian Thomson seems more concerned about North Manly Bowlo than the Leagues Club?

Because the LC was sold off in 2015 and the merger with this Bowling Club was the LC's chance of having a venue.

Manly were pushing for a 20 year lease and make monies out of building on the Council land.
Seems ADANI who along with Meriton have ruined DY, have won over the Council :nerd:

LC tried to get DYRSL to let them have a spot but it was rejected.

The new Diggers is also too fancy and wealthy now from the sale of its new multi million dollar residential parts to lease a room to the LC

Ian Thomson seems more concerned about North Manly Bowlo than the Leagues Club?
It seems like they wanted to move the main operation to that site...which kind of makes sense, since it is much closer to Manly and more residential than Brookvale. Must be better prospects for increasing trade and revenue.

I get that, but instead of addressing half a dozen pensioners at the bowlo, shouldn't he be doing something to ensure Manly Leagues Club continues somewhere?
But Manly Leagues did merge and in fact took over the Bowling Club and is in fact a branch of the LC.

The Brookie site of LC is just a lease that runs out in May.

That is the issue for Thommo, that the LC merger has now failed to secure a physical location.

Northern beaches residents aren’t into the leagues club thing like people in say Penrith or Parra. Penn at least managed to flog that site to some idiots thinking people want high rises overlooking car yards, a car wash and my beloved Tax Guy!

yes, but my point is shouldn't his first priority be to address the LC members to tell them we will soon not have any land or club, rather than some displaced lawn bowlers.

It's the same membership base!

The Bowlers ceased to exist 2 years ago when the LC took them over

It’s sad the way the Northern Beaches is being left for granted.

Just seems like the whole area is being left to erode away, to then be filled by vacuous apartment buildings.

Need to change government up there I reckon, they have had it too easy for too long and don’t have any pressure on them to deliver in the area. Time for a voter swing against them.

NYEagle

It’s sad the way the Northern Beaches is being left for granted.

Just seems like the whole area is being left to erode away, to then be filled by vacuous apartment buildings.

Need to change government up there I reckon, they have had it too easy for too long and don’t have any pressure on them to deliver in the area. Time for a voter swing against them.

NYEagle
The Labor Opposition doesn't care about the northern side of Sydney Harbour. They don't even contest bi-elections.
At least most of the Liberal Party politicians know where the Northern Beaches are. But your point is well made, we need the Liberals to stop taking our votes for granted.
That's the disappointing part of NSW politics. Unless you live in a marginal electorate you are unimportant, which is why western Sydney gets all the sweeteners.

I played a state schoolboys cricket match at manly oval i think back in the day . Been past it in the years gone by here and there and the bowlo was next door wasn't it ? Reminds me of the movie crackerjack.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7