Non-Manly Games [Round 9, 2019]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Agree Pearce was a media favourite but Raper was a champion.

No argument there. Raper was before my time but having seen film of him I think his reputation is well deserved. And while Pearce wasn't really a natural footballer in that he had to work a lot on his skills, he put everything into his game which is part of why the media in the 80s loved him so much (his looks and that he could actually talk to an audience or on television without umming and ahing every other word also helped his profile).

Just how piss poor and Brisbane biased the Ch.9 set up is was shown clearly on Friday night.

A Manly home game, yet just about their entire pre-game was dedicated to the Drongos. And their commentary team including the non-play by play experts, was stacked with ex-Brisbane players (Thaiday, Lewis and Lockyer) while the one ex-Manly player that Nein have in their ranks (Fatty) was put on Thursday night's game and left off Friday's roster.

Every week on Nein we get the Brisbane cheer leading squad, yet the one time all year they have had Manly playing on FTA and they have our former player turned commentator doing an entirely different game on an entirely different day. It might have only been one voice to provide some balance at least, but it was obvious that Nein were favouring Brisbane in their commentary and game presentation so that didn't happen.

I have always said that Nein's dream Grand Final match up would be one of: Brisbane vs North Qld (which they got in 2015), Brisbane vs Souffs or Brisbane vs Melbourne (do you happen to see a pattern there....i.e. Brisbane). They have been biased towards the Drongos since the early 1990s.

And Billy Moore was the Dally M judge.

No argument there. Raper was before my time but having seen film of him I think his reputation is well deserved. And while Pearce wasn't really a natural footballer in that he had to work a lot on his skills, he put everything into his game which is part of why the media in the 80s loved him so much (his looks and that he could actually talk to an audience or on television without umming and ahing every other word also helped his profile).
I liked Pearce. He reminded me of Hasler in their day, they were ahead of the pack in terms of diet, training, and really focused on anything that could give them an edge. Pearces’ heaviest weight when playing was 90kg. Not bad in the bash, barge, and belt of the 80’s. His tackling technique is not unlike Jakes, right under the rib cage and drive them backwards.

I liked Pearce. He reminded me of Hasler in their day, they were ahead of the pack in terms of diet, training, and really focused on anything that could give them an edge. Pearces’ heaviest weight when playing was 90kg. Not bad in the bash, barge, and belt of the 80’s. His tackling technique is not unlike Jakes, right under the rib cage and drive them backwards.

Don't get me wrong, Pearce was a good player in his time, but it never came naturally to him. He had to work hard to get to the level he did. And you're right, Des was pretty much the same, especially with diet and fitness (then on the other side of the coin there was Cliffy.....chuffing away on a pack of ciggies with all the skills in the world and then some lol).

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8