NHL (ice) Hockey

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
RE: NHL Hockey. Lockout in motion

FFS one good thing about NRL is that, at least this does not happen.

Interesting that AFL has now moved to free agency

Daniel said:
FFS one good thing about NRL is that, at least this does not happen.

Interesting that AFL has now moved to free agency

I'm interested as well. Esp after hearing (and I cant remember) 1 team complain that another player moved just because of the money.....

and...

I was interested to see that most hockey jerseys over here have players names on them.

When I asked about the common occurrence of player movements rendering the jerseys out of date, the consensus was that the fans were happy to celebrate the times when the player in question was at their team.

I found this to be different to us, interesting, and I don't think we're that used to such a high player movement in our 'tribal culture.'

NHL Hockey. Lockout in motion

@[globaleagle]

As I'm not much of a fan of NFL I'm thinking NHL is a sport I could start following in the Aus summer months. I believe Fox sports shows some games.

Which team should I follow & why? :D

Mals said:
@[globaleagle]

As I'm not much of a fan of NFL I'm thinking NHL is a sport I could start following in the Aus summer months. I believe Fox sports shows some games.

Which team should I follow & why? :D

Well, The Vancouver Canucks would be the way to go. And I'm sure Daniel would agree!

Upside: 1) The canucks are kinda like Manly. They are the team most other fans love to erm...dislike. There are 30 teams in the NHL of which 7 are in Canada. So if you support Manly, you are pre-programmed to support the Canucks.

2) The canucks have the record for the most consecutively sold out games in nhl history. Since 2003 (I think), every game is sold out and so the atmosphere is amazing. That's over 400 sold out games in a row!

3) The canucks (or nucks) consistently make the finals.

4) Vancouver is the nicest and warmest part of Canada so visiting the town of your team is a pleasure, not an ice laden hell trip.

5) I can send Canucks fans gear as vancouver is not that far away.

6) Canucks, like Manly, aren't original teams. Joining only in 1970.

7) Like silvertails.com, the canucks fans website is the biggest in the league.

8) Ice hockey, or hockey as it's called here (they call ours field hockey) is fast, exciting, big hits and amazing skills.

9) The sedin twins - awesome!!

10) The green men - hilarious secret duo. The bain of players who get sin binned

11) This amazing response.

The one big downside.......

Never won a championship.

Now you have to remember that in the finals....each step is a bet of 7 series.

So the NHL doesn't have, say a GF day. It's the best of 7 GF series.

That said, The canucks have never won the major prize....the "Stanley Cup"

3 times we have made it to the last best of seven series.

The first we got beaten 4-0 (ah the 80's where the eastern conference always won the 'cup')

In 1994 we lost, in game 7 with a tying shot at goal rebounding off the post (pipes). Heartbreaking to this day.

2010: We lost in game 7 and no I don't want to talk about it!

Another downside is that I don't think the nucks get on tv that much as foxsports always take the american feed so you usually have to wait until the finals to see a huge amount of nucks games - at least it's the finals!

Maybe a huge downside - there is a lockout at the moment so the owners of the teams have locked the players out of the stadiums so no games are being played as both sides argue over revenue and contracts.

But that's nothing to do with picking a team, just there may not be much hockey to watch.

Lemme know if I can help ya further!

:)

GO NUCKS GO

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azzzSxHroJE[/video]

TOWEL POWER!

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp8XOv3gOtk[/video]

@[Mals]
@[Daniel]

The Sedin twins are awesome. The nucks can be extremely frustrating, all year they show you how amazing they are and can be, and then "Bam" the final series comes and they show you some of the worst Hockey you will ever see. But as all Nucks fans will tell you, this is our year.

We lost one of the sedins before the semi and he was out for most of the games due to a bad concussion, as soon as he came back he made an immediate difference, apart from the final game that as far as I am aware officially didnt happen according to most Nucks fans.

The green men -> hilarious

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vO_Bn4CVbYk

Daniel said:
The Sedin twins are awesome. The nucks can be extremely frustrating, all year they show you how amazing they are and can be, and then "Bam" the final series comes and they show you some of the worst Hockey you will ever see. But as all Nucks fans will tell you, this is our year.

We lost one of the sedins before the semi and he was out for most of the games due to a bad concussion, as soon as he came back he made an immediate difference, apart from the final game that as far as I am aware officially didnt happen according to most Nucks fans.

There's "shooty" sedin (daniel) and "passy" sedin (henrick).
I saw a swedish badminton player in this years olympics that looks exactly like them....that's right...exactly!
*goes to find pic*....

42720010151967720295650.jpg

I KNOW! EXACTLY THE SAME!

Daniel said:
The green men -> hilarious

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vO_Bn4CVbYk

lol, thanks for that, those guys are great. People should know the thousands of dollars a year those seats cost. It's dedication man!

A good montage here with lots of slo-mo action as if it went at full speed and you are not used to the game...well you wouldn't see where the puck went!

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OobBmK4IF-M&feature=related[/video]

That first goal at around 1:08 just shows the freakish skill that D Sedin has.

Also lets not forget The team comedian Ryan Kesler

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdesgp_xEVw

love the interview bomber.

Also liked the time when some dumb-bot interviewer was speaking to kevin bieska but he thought he was interviewing ryan kessler.

bieska did the whole interview as if he was kessler. nice

edit: Dear Dan
Stop making me miss the nhl.
kind regards
Canada

@[globaleagle]

Wow GE thanks for the detailed response. I will weigh up my decision carefully assuming the strike will end sometime soon. I like the idea of supporting a Canadian team BUT if I don't get to see their games on Foxtel.....

My baseball team is the Detroit Tigers.... I notice Detroit have an NHL team....

blech! yuck!

Detroit are getting older. So there won't be much joy there.

+ they are in 'merica and not Canada :)

Happy hunting what ever you choose!

Detroit were good about 4 or 5 years ago. Vancouver are consistently competitive and saying "nucks rule" has a certain ring to it.

You will also get to experience what it's like to have Luango as a goalie. In one season he will go from doing some of the most amazing saves and will be hero to outright villain in the playoffs.

Oh and the bieksa interview was hilarious I remember that

Don't listen to them Mals! The Philadelphia Flyers are who it's all about. I'll explain to you in bullet points, because everyone knows that bullet points are the greatest way of recieving information.

• They're a young team on the rise & are already incredibly competitive
  • Have incredibly intense rivalry games with the Pittsburgh Penguins (who collectively, are the most punchable team in the league), the New York Rangers & to a lesser extent, the New Jersey Devils.
  • The most famous team in Flyers history (back to back Stanley Cup champs in '74 & '75) earned the nickname 'The Broad Street Bullies'. I'm sure you can guess how they got that name. There was also a documentary made about this team which I'd recommend watching if you get the chance.
  • The Flyers were the only team to beat the Soviet Red Army Champion team when they toured North America in 1976. They brutalised them so badly that the Soviet coach actually pulled his team off the ice at one point.
  • The massive brawl they had with the Ottawa Senators back in '04. YouTube it, you won't be disappointed.
  • They hold the longest undefeated streak in North American sport history (35 games).
  • The current defence sucks ass. Rather than look at this as a negative, the current team has just decided to use it as motivation to score 5+ goals a game.
  • This is the coach -
    6a0120a6dde087970b014e862daa98970d-200pi
  • Ilya Bryzgalov is the goaltender of the Flyers. If you don't know why this is awesome you heff to stop being so med & youtube interviews with him. He's really into the Universe right now.
  • Claude Giroux is the best young player on the roster & one of the best players in the league & a future captain. Despite being called Claude he can & will kick anyone's ass (inbetween scoring a ridiculous amount of goals).

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zNUzHDhVEw[/video]

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-km2XWJrwpc[/video]

Cheers for the info on the Flyers Wolfpack. Most sports i've attempted to play i've never been the most skilful but try to compensate by using power & aggression so I can relate to this team hehe.

Does Fox in Aus show many of their games?

From memory (even though you asked wolf), a lot of eastern conference USA games were on foxsports.

That is: washington, pittsburg, new york rangers, tampa bay, etc.

Being a fan of the Phillies and the Eagles, I have somewhat of a soft spot for the Flyers, though their orange uniforms just annoy me.

Ryan is a massive massive fan of the Colorado Avalanche, he even made it on their website.

As much as my US teams always seem to let me down, I just cant help but enjoy watching the Nucks play

Daniel said:
Being a fan of the Phillies and the Eagles, I have somewhat of a soft spot for the Flyers, though their orange uniforms just annoy me.

Ryan is a massive massive fan of the Colorado Avalanche, he even made it on their website.

As much as my US teams always seem to let me down, I just cant help but enjoy watching the Nucks play

Pffft, that's nothing, I made it onto radio 1040 with tom and shorty during a game, when I was still in Australia!

However Daniel, I think we've lost Mals.

No one likes us...we don't care! :p

I look at it this way, It's his loss and we didn't need him anyway :)

I should remind you however I am an unbelievable jinx for my american teams.

Everytime I watch it we lose, I forget to watch and we win

globaleagle said:
However Daniel, I think we've lost Mals.

No one likes us...we don't care! :p

Hehe, I did enjoy the vids Wolfpack posted & I don't have enough orange in my wardrobe ;)

With the lockout ongoing though I may as well go outside & watch the grass grow... :(

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6