Next Years Backline

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
1.Tom
2.Suli
3.Staggs
4.Harper
5.Hopoate
6.Schuster
7.Dce

Could go from worst to best backline in one off season, (Yes,clutching !!)
Need to make the Staggs acquisition.

Send Walker to the the Bronco's with the swap for Staggs.

Last edited:
I have a feeling Des will groom Funa as a winger for next year as he will want someone strong to get our sets going.

Oddly enough Funa is listed at 93kg and Parker at 100kg but you'd assume those numbers would be the other way around.
Agreed - Funa will be on a wing instead of Taufua

I would argue Funa isn’t either. Looked great at centre, solid at fullback and pretty poor at wing. Suli needs to get up off his arse and provide... if we keep walker, i think suli should be considered as wing over funa.

why has everyone gone off cust? He has been great and created a try or so most games he’s played. Past few weeks he’s been playing injured.

Cust has to be in 17

That is my biggest complaint about Suli as a centre. Especially this year he just hasn't provided. He's gotten into the mindset that he's going to break every tackle and largely this year forgot that he had a player with speed (Garrick) outside of him. The few times the ball did get out to Garrick on the right this year, his pace often saw him making breaks down his wing.

I honestly feel for Garrick with the criticism he's copped this year. With Siro and Suli inside of him basically hogging the ball all year long on out right, Garrick has caught more colds on the wing than quality ball. Most of the time the only time he saw the ball was either kick returns or early tackle hit ups when the forwards were lumbering back onside. And when you're a 90-95kg winger trying to get through the line its inevitable that you're going to get ragdolled by 110+ kg forwards at times, especially when they gang tackle.

1.Tom
2.Suli
3.Staggs
4.Harper
5.Hopoate
6.Schuster
7.Dce

Could go from worst to best backline in one off season, (Yes,clutching !!)
Need to make the Staggs acquisition.

Send Walker to the the Bronco's with the swap for Staggs.

Had the tv on in the background the other day and heard Staggs' name mentioned. Thought wtf? Looked and he'd made Sportsnet top 20 plays of the month with some try he scored against the dragons.

er.... that's all.

The one thing I will say about Reuben Garrick's hit ups is that he needs to learn something. Reubs is the type of player who in tackles will fight for every bit of ground he can get and sometimes it works against him when he gets pushed back. That causes people to say he's not strong enough or needs to hit the weights to bulk up a bit. Personally, I think that's rubbish. If he took a leaf out of Turbo's playbook and submitted in tackles, basically hit the deck as soon as he is tackled. Then maybe he wouldn't get pushed back so much.

You watch when Turbo does a kick return. If there is no chance of getting through the line, despite his size and strength he basically submits and hits the ground as soon as he's tackled. And by doing that he hardly ever gets pushed back. Reubs needs to learn to do the same thing. Fighting for ground against a wall of 2-3 110kg + defenders is a losing battle unless your an AFB type which he certainly isn't.

He just needs to be a bit smarter about things.

Last edited:
Just my 2 cents worth on who should be our backline (1-7) in 2021. The first is provided we keep Walker and Garrick and don't pick up a player like Saab or Alex Johnston.

FB - Tom Trbojevic
WG - Tevita Funa
CE - Dylan Walker
CE - Moses Suli
WG - Reuben Garrick
FE - Josh Schuster
HB - Daly Cherry-Evans

IF we do lose Walks to the Dogs as rumoured (I honestly think we're going to keep Garrick which means no swapping with Saab), and we manage to pick up Alex Johnston (who I think the club should make it a high priority to sign for 2021)....

FB - Tom Trbojevic
WG - Alex Johnston
CE - Tevita Funa
CE - Moses Suli
WG - Reuben Garrick
FE - Josh Schuster
HB - Daly Cherry-Evans

The other option, if we don't get Alex Jonston, would be this.

FB - Tom Trbojevic
WG - Morgan Harper
CE - Tevita Funa
CE - Moses Suli
WG - Reuben Garrick
FE - Josh Schuster
HB - Daly Cherry-Evans

I honestly think that Funa has a higher ceiling to his game than Brad Parker. I like Parker, but he's really a one position player who's best qualities are his heart and his one on one defence. He's got no pace, he has suspect hands at times and because he's a lumbering type his lateral movement and turn and chase are diabolical. Which is why I haven't got him in either backline option. I'd keep him at Manly, but only as a backup.

Garrick I would keep in the side. He's the quickest player we have outside of Turbo, but like I said earlier he needs to put some smarts into his game. We also need to use his pace more effectively because this year we haven't, its as simple as that. He's also our best goal kicker (which isn't saying a lot, but he's a better option than DCE I think).

Regardless if Walks does stay, Schuster showed enough on Saturday to show that he could well be the answer to our 5/8 problem His only issue was lack of experience (he got short kick happy) and lack of match fitness. Otherwise he basically showed the skills that have had people in here raving about him for over 12 months. For mine that would also put Cust to the #14 jumper (hopefully as backup to Fainu and not Levi) because I don't think we'll keep Croker.

And where is Albert Hopoate? Well, like the old Curiosity Show, I'm glad you asked. Yes I see him as a future first grade player. The operative word there being future. Right now he's really only there because we are desperately short on fit outside backs, and its a way to try and keep him at Manly beyond this year (which I personally think is most of the reason he's currently playing). I honestly think that he needs at least (the very least) half a season playing NSW Cup before he should be considered for a permanent spot in first grade. He's a good player, but his confidence, fitness and speed will take time to return after 2 ACL's in 2 years. IMO he'll be a lot better off after a full pre-season and half or a full season of NSW Cup where he can string games together and get back to his best.

Last edited:
I agree BOZO. Let Harper, Funa, Miski, Garrick, Tafua and Hopoate battle out for the two wing spots.

Perspective....

If you're not BENCHMARKING your performance aginst your opponents , you're just playing with yourself. . Take this as you like ...... LOL

Some are talking up the 22 year old "player of the future" Funa but before we can talk some one up there has to be comparisons . There has to be BENCHMARKS.
To compare Funa with the class and speed of the 21 year old Staggs there is really no comparison. No comparison what so ever .
Walker represented Australia at 20 , The dynamic Chrichton is only 19 and we know the big difference there up against Funa .
IMO ...
At 22 Funa is what we see is what we get from Funa . His acceleration is underwhelming for a back when we need killer speed in the backline.
Hopoate Is living on a promise and Time will tell
Jorge has been a Manly legend but Time is up
Garrick is a good finisher but good players are also good at starting things as well
Harper in one game has shown he is competent lets see if he is consistent
Miski Lets see how he goes

How good are all those promising backs of ours ???

Another BENCHMARK Charlie Speedy Staines

19 years old and he has already made his MARK

r61_611_2320_1887_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Perspective....

If you're not BENCHMARKING your performance aginst your opponents , you're just playing with yourself. . Take this as you like ...... LOL

Some are talking up the 22 year old "player of the future" Funa but before we can talk some one up there has to be comparisons . There has to be BENCHMARKS.
To compare Funa with the class and speed of the 21 year old Staggs there is really no comparison. No comparison what so ever .
Walker represented Australia at 20 , The dynamic Chrichton is only 19 and we know the big difference there up against Funa .
IMO ...
At 22 Funa is what we see is what we get from Funa . His acceleration is underwhelming for a back when we need killer speed in the backline.
Garrick is a good finisher but good players are also good at starting things as well

View attachment 15382

I agree with your theory and assessment, but also think cap space is a finite thing for Manly (not so much other teams). With money invested elsewhere, I'd argue a significant upgrade to winger isn't a major priority / possibly sadly.

I think we need to consider the following:
  • Need more speed in the backs, and forwards (think I have a solution)
  • Try not to rely on the open market much (roster consistency) - one acquisition (or two depending on hooker solutions).

01. Tom Trbojevic (Obvious choice)
02. Albert Hopoate (would excel next to Walker, and get lots of ball)
03. Dylan Walker (could do with a speedster outside of him in Hoppa)
04. Morgan Harper (seems quite quick, sleek and smart - goal kicker)
05. Alex Johnston (our one solitary acquisition - has speed to burn)
06. Joshua Schuster (wow, imagine him with 50 games under his belt)
07. Daly Cherry-Evans (Much better, faster, more skilled team around him)
08. Addin Fonua-Blake (one of the best props in the game)
09. Manase Fainu (Hopefully plays, or someone similar)
10. Marty Taupua (one of the best props in the game)
11. Moses Suli (wide running backrower, fast for a backrower, can pass, damaging)
12. Curtis Sironen (damaging backrower when fit and firing. He and Moses - lethal)
13. Jake Trbojevic (Mr consistency, really need his glue)

14. Cade Cust (Great utility player, gritty, determined, fighter)
15. Taniela Paseka (getting better every year)
16. Sean Keppie (getting better every game)
17. Huamole Olakau'atu (Needs to be in this team. Size, speed, effort).

• Backrow is slightly quicker
  • Backline is MUCH quicker
  • Suli could slot into the backline in case of in game injury - next Ruben Wiki?
  • Cust is cover for halves and Hooker
  • Much more mobile and uptempo should be the play with this team
  • Very young team

Last edited:
Perspective....

IMO ...

View attachment 15382
Bozo put our youngsters on the end of this years Panthers backline & they’d have made their mark also

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with your theory and assessment, but also think cap space is a finite thing for Manly (not so much other teams). With money invested elsewhere, I'd argue a significant upgrade to winger isn't a major priority / possibly sadly.
Yes I know what you are saying and cap is one thing and quality is another .
There are players out there and under the cap that are also flying under the radar ready to be discovered by a shrewd operator .

I dont see it that way . Comparing the class of our youngsters to the ability and speed of the panthers is no comparison .

Because he wasn't asked to play in the back 3, if you're gonna play a winger that light he will get manhandled at some point.
REALITY
Benchmark Perspective ....
For our backs against the Tigers
Harper and all our backs played against a team classed out side the top 8 and a team in turmoil and they capitulated like a Sea eagle falling from the sky without wings to fly .

I'd have Turbo and Walker in the centres, Hoppa Fullback, Funa and Parker on the wings. Schuster and DCE in the halves.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
7 4 3 49 10
9 5 4 42 10
9 5 4 -14 10
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 3 5 -55 8