Next Week v Eels: Have Some Ideas

• Thread starter Deleted member 26876
  • Start date
  • We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
D

Deleted member 26876

Wouldn't mind a radical change this week, not out of total panicking but purely because we might as well test some different variations while trbo, afb, walks, fainu are all out. Not the end of the world if he picks a similar 17 as their attack would've been OK had it not been wet I reckon (it started strong) and defence is a week to week prospect, negatively impacted by rain as well and low confidence. Various ideas shared are this, not saying I'd want them all but think it's good to introduce a variety of different ideas to work off. Note: This isn't my chosen squad, just ideas

1. Brendon Elliott
2. Tevita Funa
3. Brad Parker
4. Moses Suli
5. Reuben Garrick (just)
6. Josh Schuster /Lachlan Croker (need a halfback+5/8 halves pairing)
7. Cade Cust (halfback, directing)
8. Jake Trbojevic (50 minute game time, no ball-playing)
9. Daly Cherry-Evans (Ben Hunt)
10. Sean Keppie
11. Joel Thompson
12. Curtis Sironen
13. Martin Taupau

INTERCHANGE
14. Lachlan Croker
15. Morgan Boyle (commendable effort today)
16. Jack Gosiewski
17. Tony Williams
(For Trex's experience, come on for a 15-20 minute return stint at lock for marty)

Obviously backline is in ruin atm, but I think it just needs a genuine halves combo to spark them and bring them into the game. Dce needs to have a simplified role where he has a bit of room to move outside of structure, because he really struggles with being forced to be a halfback (he's a 5/8). Needs a few weeks to reset completely, hooker would bring his confidence back again + better squad balance as we lack a good number 9.

Other positional options (number=position. eg. 1 = fullback)
1. Reuben Garrick / Brad Parker? / Young Hoppa
3. Brendon Elliot (If Parker fullback)
14. Schuster (if Croker started in halves)
16. Sipley/Waddell/Guac

Last edited by a moderator:
One basic idea

Gutho Jennings Blake Sivo Ferguson will burn our tortoises as will the Brown and Field ( lightning ). Toms defensive start to the year was amazing and he covered a lot of misses from these guys ( see Roosters game).

What to do about it? That’s harder but I know damn well Parker Garrick Elliott Tafua and Croker won’t be the answer.

Did Boyle come back in the second half ?? I thought I heard he was gone with groin injury.

Anyway I'd say there is next to no hope that anything radical will come from Des next week, least of all DCE at 9.

Schuster on bench is maybe the best we can hope for. Croker can have a spell

Can we get Jake to watch Nathan Brown videos all week and see if he can replicate ??

One basic idea

Jennings Blake Sivo Ferguson will burn our tortoises as will the Brown and Field ( lightning ).

What to do about it? That’s harder but I know damn well Parker Garrick Elliott Tafua and Croker won’t be the answer.
If we defend like we did against the Knights our defence can be good enough. Eels score very basic tries, almost carbon copies. Reckon we'll be better in defence. Attack is my main concern

If we defend like we did against the Knights our defence can be good enough. Eels score very basic tries, almost carbon copies. Reckon we'll be better in defence. Attack is my main concern
No attack or repeat sets feeds into dropped heads , errors and tired defence. One comes with the other against the top sides.
The eels are the best defensive side in comp so far - this is simply a limit the damage game with the players we are trotting our now. Every one of their backs would have yards of speed on their opposites with no Tom to tidy up the inevitable line breaks.

At least you’re having a crack young Harry , 10/10 for effort !!

Im sort of thinking about a change to the scoring system.

They only get 1 for a try and 1 for the conversion.

We get 10 for a try and with Garrick kicking we won’t convert any anyway so don’t worry about that.

We’ll score two try’s for 20

They’ll score 15 converted try’s for 30.

We still lose but it’ll look respectable

Wouldn't mind a radical change this week, not out of total panicking but purely because we might as well test some different variations while trbo, afb, walks, fainu are all out. Not the end of the world if he picks a similar 17 as their attack would've been OK had it not been wet I reckon (it started strong) and defence is a week to week prospect, negatively impacted by rain as well and low confidence. Various ideas shared are this, not saying I'd want them all but think it's good to introduce a variety of different ideas to work off.

1. Brendon Elliott
2. Tevita Funa
3. Brad Parker
4. Moses Suli
5. Reuben Garrick (just)
6. Josh Schuster /Lachlan Croker (need a halfback+5/8 halves pairing)
7. Cade Cust (halfback, directing)
8. Jake Trbojevic (50 minute game time, no ball-playing)
9. Daly Cherry-Evans (Ben Hunt)
10. Sean Keppie
11. Joel Thompson
12. Curtis Sironen
13. Martin Taupau

INTERCHANGE
14. Lachlan Croker
15. Morgan Boyle (commendable effort today)
16. Jack Gosiewski
17. Tony Williams
(For Trex's experience, come on for a 15-20 minute return stint at lock for marty)

Obviously backline is in ruin atm, but I think it just needs a genuine halves combo to spark them and bring them into the game. Dce needs to have a simplified role where he has a bit of room to move outside of structure, because he really struggles with being forced to be a halfback (he's a 5/8). Needs a few weeks to reset completely, hooker would bring his confidence back again + better squad balance as we lack a good number 9.

Other positional options (number=position. eg. 1 = fullback)
1. Reuben Garrick / Brad Parker? / Young Hoppa
3. Brendon Elliot (If Parker fullback)
14. Schuster (if Croker started in halves)
16. Sipley/Waddell/Guac
I like Jake at prop is a good move.
Hoppa to fullback.
Funa in is a big uptick to replace Jorge.
I like cust on the left edge or in the middle playing hooker.
DCE he is our best number 7, needs to start playing like it though.
Guacamole on the left edge, thomo to the right edge and Siro to lock, based on he can run inside lines all he wants there.
Maybe Schuster over Parker at left centre and Parker to the bench to replace JetSki.

From the 20’s Guacamole and cust owned that left edge and got lots of points, Parker looks to me as a good edge backrower in the making, good defence just lacks the speed of a class centre.

On the right edge DCE needs to get Moses one on one with a defender and use his size to break the line, under used today despite the cork.

I like Jake at prop is a good move.
Hoppa to fullback.
Funa in is a big uptick to replace Jorge.
I like cust on the left edge or in the middle playing hooker.
DCE he is our best number 7, needs to start playing like it though.
Guacamole on the left edge, thomo to the right edge and Siro to lock, based on he can run inside lines all he wants there.
Maybe Schuster over Parker at left centre and Parker to the bench to replace JetSki.

From the 20’s Guacamole and cust owned that left edge and got lots of points, Parker looks to me as a good edge backrower in the making, good defence just lacks the speed of a class centre.

On the right edge DCE needs to get Moses one on one with a defender and use his size to break the line, under used today despite the cork.
Agree with almost everything but if Parker plays in the forwards I fear for his life. He gets destroyed physically every week in the three quarters despite his courage. He’s a rag doll with ticker.

Anyone still naming Lachlan Croker in any capacity at all has no credibility at all!
Seriously!
This inspires me into an AFB like tirade!
Yes I know I don't want him in the side anymore, lost total faith in him atm. However, think we should think about a Cust/genuine 5/8 pairing for next few weeks and let dce ply his trade at dummy half (reckon he'd be an awesome dummy half and he needs to distance himself from organising for a few weeks). So many teams have two bog average halves, but they both know their role and aren't forced to play a style that doesn't suit them, meaning they can still at least put some points on. For too long dce has been made to try be an organising halfback when he is a 5/8, stifling our pretty directionless attack (moreso without fainu). Sure you could put a 6 on his back but the reality is that at the moment, when dce is in the halves he is expected to be that organising force. In a few weeks he can return but I would like to see that pressure alleviated from him for the next two or three weeks where we can simply put in an average genuine halves pairing (cust organising, the 5/8 just supporting and whatnot).

Those two halves just play a simple role and in theory if dce is a decent number 9 (good service, kicking, playmaking brain) then we are a more balanced, organised side.

Anyone still naming Lachlan Croker in any capacity at all has no credibility at all!
Seriously!
This inspires me into an AFB like tirade!
I screamed at the tv “hook him, never to return” after he kicked out in the third tackle tonight. Unfortunately for Lachlan his FG career is coming to an end. Where’s Kane Elgey??

Yes I know I don't want him in the side anymore, lost total faith in him atm. However, think we should think about a Cust/genuine 5/8 pairing for next few weeks and let dce ply his trade at dummy half (reckon he'd be an awesome dummy half and he needs to distance himself from organising for a few weeks). So many teams have two bog average halves, but they both know their role and aren't forced to play a style that doesn't suit them, meaning they can still at least put some points on. For too long dce has been made to try be an organising halfback when he is a 5/8, stifling our pretty directionless attack (moreso without fainu). Sure you could put a 6 on his back but the reality is that at the moment, when dce is in the halves he is expected to be that organising force. In a few weeks he can return but I would like to see that pressure alleviated from him for the next two or three weeks where we can simply put in an average genuine halves pairing (cust organising, the 5/8 just supporting and whatnot).

Those two halves just play a simple role and in theory if dce is a decent number 9 (good service, kicking, playmaking brain) then we are a more balanced, organised side.
Coming around to your DCE at 9 idea Harry.
All the attributes you mentioned, plus he’s a good defender.
I could trust Cust@ 7. But definitely bring in Schuster at 6. I’m done with Croker.
At least you’re thinking outside the box Harry, something our coach HAS to do.

Tell the NRL we can't field 21 fit players for next round. Put all the players in a room with a 100"monitor, feed them no-doze and make them watch today's game over and over and over for the whole week.
Either that or start DCE at 9, Cust at 7 and Schuster at 6.

Call me lame, a coward not a true supporter whatever you like but my very best mate ( since our first day at school when we were 5) is an Eels supporter so next week it’s phone off, and do whatever not watching !!

For 35 years I’ve absolutely been giving it to him , text messages, phone calls , memes ( and when he’s ignored those I’ve actually sent him a card in the mail) and boy oh boy aren’t I copping it now AND he can’t wait for next week.

Personally I think it will be 50+ so I’m going to have to hide for a while after the game as well.

I’m dreading the thought of it to be honest.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2