News: Thurston charged after verbal tirade

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Jatz Crackers link said:
[quote author=DSM5 link=topic=183463.msg265296#msg265296 date=1275621644]
Thankfully refs aren't influenced by their personal likes or dislikes.  

:D

[/quote]
:D have 2nd that lol..

Then jjai you would be as pleased as I am that Thurston beat the bum rap.  Your choices are as mine. 

DSM5 link said:
Robinson wasn't as upset about the decision as some posters.  That's weird.  Maybe it's the dislike of Thurston that clouds this issue for some.  Thankfully refs aren't influenced by their personal likes or dislikes.  He was not charged with dissent, so the powers that charge didn't see it your way jjai.  Bringing the game into disrepute was the charge.  The mom comment was funny and Robinson saw it that way.  Not malicious or said in anger.  Frustration is a different matter.  Do you guys want Souths to win this weekend?   

Picked up the phone and had a chat to Robinson have ya mate ?

So newspaper stuff is 100% correct now is it champ ? We read different stories with different 'facts' each day about Brett Stewart

Have heard/read elsewhere that the refs are absolutely filthy about this ruling

Johnathan Thurston let-off backfires on NRL

* Dean Ritchie and Christian Nicolussi
    * June 04, 2010 12:00AM

THE NRL judiciary's controversial decision to exonerate Johnathan Thurston for his foul-mouthed tirade at a referee has today blown up in the face of rugby league.

Players, parents, junior coaches and development officers have condemned the verdict to allow Thurston to play this weekend.

A potty-mouthed Thurston used the F-bomb at least eight times against referee Jason Robinson in North Queensland's match against Manly last Saturday.

The spray came after a touch judge correctly ruled the Cowboys had thrown a forward pass.

Robinson should have, but didn't, dismiss the Cowboys captain.

In a dramatic day yesterday, it can be revealed that:

* CANTERBURY and NSW halfback Brett Kimmorley admitted that the outburst didn't "set a great example";

* NSWRL development officer Martin Meredith urged Thurston to tell kids his behaviour was unacceptable;

* NRL chief operating officer Graham Annesley stressed players could still be fined or suspended for abusing a referee;

* PARRAMATTA star Nathan Hindmarsh claimed Thurston was "lucky" to escape punishment; and

* NRL referee's coach Robert Finch said Robinson could have been stronger in controlling the flare-up and spoke of his concerns for referees in the bush this weekend.

It is understood the three-man panel of Mal Cochrane, Michael Buettner and Bradley Clyde privately felt Robinson should have had the courage to send off Thurston.

One insider said: "The judiciary panel didn't think they should have to do the referee's dirty work."

Leading players Kimmorley, Hindmarsh and the Warriors' Micheal Luck spoke out against Thurston's expletive-laden rant.

"He was lucky to escape," Hindmarsh said. "We have to remember kids were watching.

"But I do think it's sent a fair enough warning to everybody else and that if you carry on in a similar way, you can expect a night at the judiciary."

Kimmorley said: "It sounded bad how many F-words he used. It wasn't a great example to set [for children]."

Luck was more cutting.

"I can't believe they let him off," Luck said. "It's set a pretty dangerous precedent now that anyone who sprays the ref can go back to that incident and say 'well, Thurston didn't even get penalised, why am I at the judiciary?'

Thurston also sarcastically told Robinson he should be "man of the match".

Eighty per cent of more than 2000 respondents who voted in a Daily Telegraph online poll believed the judiciary got it wrong.

"We are extremely disappointed with the verdict," Meredith said. "Whether players like or it not, they are role models and Johnathan is a high-profile player.

"He behaved in a fashion that we don't want portrayed to young players.

"It's hard enough attracting junior referees and this outcome won't make our job any easier.

"It would be good for Johnathan to tell all young players that he doesn't condone that type of behaviour."

Thurston was facing a one-match suspension but is now free to play against Souths on Monday night at ANZ Stadium.

Asked would the NRL seek an explanation from the panel, NRL chief operating officer Graham Annesley said: "No. The judiciary operates independently of the NRL administration under a set of rules.

"But the panel makes its decisions without fear or favour. That's the only way the system can work.

"The message the NRL would send to the rugby league world generally is the decision related to the specific circumstances of this case and should not be seen as a precedent for players to dispute decisions or use unacceptable language on the field."

Canteen, quoting the Telegraph over the herald?  You've just sunk to an all time low.  Do you actually buy that paper? 

This is by far the cattiest post from every angle and side that has ever graced these pages.

Meow!

I thought it was ridiculous. Not the swearing as much as the lack of respect. He should have been warned, 'I've answered the question, no more', then if he continued penalised then continued he should have been sin binned.

With the judicary they should have just charged him with contary conduct not detrimental conduct.

ads, there's no such charge.  Besides what was contary about it?  Dissent perhaps.  But there again, the NRL had the tirade on its website for days.  Could they also be charged? 

Isn't there a charge for being a general tool on the field? If not there should be.

But yeah dissent or some such, but really Robinson should have dealt with it properly on the field. As a touch footy ref I wouldn't have put up with anywhere near that much rubbish.

DSM5 link said:
Canteen, quoting the Telegraph over the herald?  You've just sunk to an all time low.  Do you actually buy that paper? 
I have the SMH home delivered and get the Telegraph at work five days a week (for $20 per year). All I am saying is that not everyone sees things your way.

ads link said:
Isn't there a charge for being a general tool on the field? If not there should be.

But yeah dissent or some such, but really Robinson should have dealt with it properly on the field. As a touch footy ref I wouldn't have put up with anywhere near that much rubbish.

Exactly ads. And if the Telegraph journo is to be believed, this is what the judiciary panel thought also: "It is understood the three-man panel of Mal Cochrane, Michael Buettner and Bradley Clyde privately felt Robinson should have had the courage to send off Thurston. One insider said: "The judiciary panel didn't think they should have to do the referee's dirty work."

(and DSM, I wished I was Ian Martin when I was a kid after that 73 gf.)

Couldnt care less about your never ending rave DSM5 but there is a charge called contrary conduct and it has been used in recent years. eg andrew johns,jeremy smith (the halfback),hoppa, etc.

i have never heard of the thurston charge before.

as an aside i coach an u15 side littered with qld junior rep players on the gold coast which is generally regarded as leagues top breeding ground with palm beach high and keebra park present..4 guys in the ormeau and tugun sides were given long term suspensions last week for pre-organising a fight on facebook.the fight occurred in the first scrum,the ref intervened,he was totally ignored and pushed to the side,a coach entered the fray throwing his weight around,parents entered the melee and this went on for many minutes.the ref copped interminable abuse from these young dickheads and parents who totally ignored him.the guy who copped the longest suspension of 12 months was a leading rep player.

my experience with kids these age including some from my own team is that many have little or no respect for authority.the change from my own playing days is unbelieveable in terms of respect.

if you think the actions of thurston and matai lately have no effect on the thinking of these kids you are sadly mistaken.as the facebook connection suggests their whole lives revolve around computers and television.the days of going fishing and camping as kids are over dsm5.these kids talk about UFC ,video games and dickheads like jarryd hayne.

unfortunately personally i think it doesnt matter what they did with thurston even though his actions were ridiculous.it is too late.the culture of lack of respect  is spreading and will get worse.i lived in chicago in the 90s and the stuff i witnessed there is not far off.

One of the kids in my son's under 9s side was bitten very badly on the shoulder yesterday and then kicked in the head.  Two more of our players came off with kicked heads.  Our opponents?  Supposedly one of the top private schools on the Sunshine Coast.  They did catch the perpetrator though and apparently he's scrubbed for the rest of the season.

On radio one of the judiciary panel admitted he was a dissenting voice and the Thurston decision was 2-1. Sets a precedent sadly!!

NO it doesn't Canteen.  Thurston's outburst doesn't mean the end of the world.  And Sue, my 'rave' is just responses to the nonsense poured forth by hypersensitive posters.  Interesting Sue, I too lived in Chicago in the 90s (La Grange) and it was certainly a place to be careful when out and about.  However I spent some time there last year, and it's improved remarkably.  Like NYC, safe and nice to walk around.  Anyway I think we all should move on to other topics. 

i was working at the CBOT on the northside but was on the southside doing a bit of remedial teaching helping a mate in housing complex's.go back regularly and it aint nice and safe.its still a warzone.

north chicago is like living at pipers point.southside is like f..ing lebanon.

agree though.move on.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6