News: Thurston charged after verbal tirade

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
<p class="first">Queensland half-back Johnathan Thurston is likely to have an extra week off before State of Origin II after he was charged over a heated verbal exchange with an NRL referee.</p>

<a href="http://silvertails.net/news/4830-thurston-charged-after-verbal-tirade.html">Read the full article</a>

and

Queensland halfback Johnathan Thurston is likely to have an extra week off before State of Origin II after he was charged over a heated verbal exchange with an NRL referee.

Thurston has been hit with a grade one detrimental conduct charge for his expletive-laden complaint about a forward pass in the final minute of North Queensland's 24-20 loss to Manly on Saturday night.

He will miss Monday night's clash with South Sydney regardless of whether he enters the early guilty plea or unsuccessfully defends the charge at the judiciary.

Thurston's only chance of playing again before Origin II is to win a case at the judiciary.

Parramatta captain Nathan Cayless will escape a ban with the early plea after he received a grade one dangerous throw charge for a lifting tackle on St George Illawarra's Brett Morris.

Eels teammate Timana Tahu will also avoid a suspension with the early plea after a grade one charge for dangerous contact to the head or neck.

South Sydney's Eddy Pettybourne misses no action after a grade one careless high tackle charge in Sunday's win over Penrith.

Meanwhile, seven under-20 players have received high grade charges following a wild 80th minute brawl in the Cowboys-Manly national youth cup match on Saturday night.

The three Cowboys and four Sea Eagles youngsters have been charged with contrary conduct, with two receiving grade five bookings.

woah i wish I had recorded and seen that punch up

Dan link said:

That's what is missing out of SOO these days, the excitement of the brawl.

Jethro link said:
[quote author=Dan link=topic=183463.msg264722#msg264722 date=1275291893]

That's what is missing out of SOO these days, the excitement of the brawl.
[/quote]

For all the talk leading into the game the Blues failed to stamp their authority over the Cane Toads. If they had done more of that it might have been a different result.

Thurston's suspension is a stupid decision in my opinion.  Swearing in a match?  Cuddling will be enforced in future.  Stamping of the foot the only dissension allowed.  The NRL are losing the plot.  It's a passionate game.  I hate to see Souths getting a further leg up in this comp.   

DSM5,

Swearing at your fellow team members: Yes
Swearing at the opposition: Yes
Swearing at the Referee no matter how wrong he is is just not on.

There just isn't enough respect in today's society in my opinion.  The guy in the middle who is in charge of the game being played should have respect just like parents, teachers, the elderly and Police all should have.  If a player wants to carry on like a pork chop to the referee and swear and curse and carry on with total disrespect then I say send them off or at least send them to the bin for 10 minutes to cool off.

Don't forget that they are role models as well.

I thought robinson handled it pretty well, but Thurston went way over the top, and deserves to pay the price.

Jethro,

Spot on regarding that as one of the NRL's top players he is a role model to younger players coming through who after viewing this display would possibly deem it to be okay to replicate this tirade on field. Referees irrespective of whether they get it right or wrong deserve respect, do we see this carry on in say Rugby Union?
If this occurred to me when refereeing I would send them to the sin bin to cool off, passion on the field fine but not this childish display from so called mature player.

Jethro link said:
DSM5,

Swearing at your fellow team members: Yes
Swearing at the opposition: Yes
Swearing at the Referee no matter how wrong he is is just not on.

There just isn't enough respect in today's society in my opinion.  The guy in the middle who is in charge of the game being played should have respect just like parents, teachers, the elderly and Police all should have.  If a player wants to carry on like a pork chop to the referee and swear and curse and carry on with total disrespect then I say send them off or at least send them to the bin for 10 minutes to cool off.

Don't forget that they are role models as well.

Spot on.
Robinson should have taken control of the situation and just sent him off

Duval61 link said:
Jethro,

Spot on regarding that as one of the NRL's top players he is a role model to younger players coming through who after viewing this display would possibly deem it to be okay to replicate this tirade on field. Referees irrespective of whether they get it right or wrong deserve respect, do we see this carry on in say Rugby Union?
If this occurred to me when refereeing I would send them to the sin bin to cool off, passion on the field fine but not this childish display from so called mature player.

I'm not just talking about the kid's imitating his disrespect to the referee the next time that they are on the footy field.  They look at Thurston carrying on like that to the referee (the guy in charge) and then they start imitating that to all authority type figures i.e. parents, teachers, police, etc.

Unfortunately that is sign of our society today when many of the younger generation have no respect for anyone whether it is a referee, teacher or whoever.
The rise of the 'no responsibility' & blame everyone else for their issues seems to be everywhere, but may be I am just becoming a cranky old man before my time as my children would say!!

Duval61 link said:
Unfortunately that is sign of our society today when many of the younger generation have no respect for anyone whether it is a referee, teacher or whoever.

The rise of the 'no responsibility' & blame everyone else for their issues seems to be everywhere

Agreed.  Time to turn back the clock me thinks.

Duval61 link said:
The rise of the 'no responsibility' & blame everyone else for their issues seems to be everywhere, but may be I am just becoming a cranky old man before my time as my children would say!!

Blame the baby boomers for worrying about acquisitions and gen x for their perceived lack of belonging.

Too concerned with themselves to worry about the future..............

The children of gen y bother are going to be worse.

....waits for matas to come in and throw Pepsi-max cans at me

This 'role-model' thing is ridiculous.  It's the same old crap conservatives use to justify what books we should read and what movies we should watch.  Thurston can be seen going beserk.  So what?  It wouldn't have been broadcast other than the refs mike was on and used in the ABCs call.  We have some who call for the softening up period to be reitroduced into SOO games, then go all cat-like when some idiot swears.  Go figure.  Swearing at the ref?  I do it, and not because Thurston does it.     

DSM5 link said:
This 'role-model' thing is ridiculous.  It's the same old crap conservatives use to justify what books we should read and what movies we should watch.  Thurston can be seen going beserk.  So what?  It wouldn't have been broadcast other than the refs mike was on and used in the ABCs call.  We have some who call for the softening up period to be reitroduced into SOO games, then go all cat-like when some idiot swears.  Go figure.  Swearing at the ref?  I do it, and not because Thurston does it.     

Yeah, whatever.  Any wonder today's society is the way that it is with attitudes like that.

He won't get a week anyway, he is contesting it, so walking into the room and slapping his ID down on the table should be enough to get it dismissed judging on his past form at the judiciary

DSM5 link said:

Swearing at the ref and swearing while talking to the ref are 2 different things. What did he actually say?

If he is guilty of swearing at the ref he should have been sinbinned on the spot, saw the incident but didn't hear what he was saying. I was really surprised that Matai didn't get some time in the bin for his disrespect a couple of weeks ago too.

He wasn't saying 'you're a fxxxing xxxx, ref'. He was challenging the decision as the captain so I think he had a bit of leeway there. the swearing punctuated his questioning of how the decision had been made.

I think the ref should have said that's enough, time to move on and then sin-binned him when he didn't stop. (I remember beaver getting binned up there a few years back for saying to harrigan 'your'e not having a great game are you?'). so if thurston said 'you should be man of the match' then that's in the same category of smart-arse comment.

It looked to me like the ref was not convinced that he should have gone with the distant linesman's call and was feeling a bit shakey about it. But nevertheless he made the call and it was too late by then to go back.

The official charge is a bit counterproductive for the 'authority example' thing. It looks like the judiciary is backing up a ref who should have dealt with it there and then. Someone should just tell robinson (wasn't it?) to draw the line a bit more firmly, and thurston to pull his head in or else next time round.

for the record, I reckon it was a good call (as I saw it through my sea eagles beer goggles).

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6