News: Sins of the Father

RE: Sins of the Father

Gary FRNSW said:
DSM5 said:
Bob, it's reasonably interesting reading, and it's in Fairfax not News ltd.. I met the woman, sister of the 'Nero' guy's partner, during the case and she told me of the weirdness of this guy. How she's written a book detailing his sordid life and the manipulation of those around him (probably the basis of this article). I watched him during the court case screaming out accusations of harassment of those in court. Total basket case. I have to agree with Slide, he should be investigated for what he's alleged to be doing with those kids, although Slide, the case should never had proceeded past the committal hearing. Brett must have spent half a million defending this crap, with no recompense. I'm sure he would have liked the case dismissed earlier. As I noted at the time, the case seemed so flimsy, the DPP and cops must have had another agenda.

Hi DSM5,

You are 110% correct. My wife, "Lisa" was the sister of "Nero's" partner and despite writing extensively about the case, was unable to take it any further due to the legal complexities surrounding the protection of the accusers. To any doubters of Brett's innocence, there can be no more damning evidence that Mary's own sister was prepared to support Brett rather than her own sister. To Lisa's credit, she could not sit by and let Brett suffer the indignation of the slurs made against him and contacted the respected journalist, Mark Whittaker. To quote the rugby league cliche, Lisa passed Mark the ball and he ran with it, sidestepped a few issues and scored the winning try. Credit should also be given to Lisa for the lead up work and making the break. Lisa is to Mark as Cliffy is to Beaver. Take nothing away from Mark, he covered many miles and thoroughly researched the facts to produce his "Sins of the Father". Mark's reputation as an honest and hard working journalist is beyond reproach. This is what gives this article the credibility that so many others lack.
Lisa is sadly still lamenting the separation from her only sister and like "Nero's" daughter, is waiting for the day that "he either goes to jail or someone puts a bullet through his head". Maybe then Mary will be released from the psychopathic control this mongrel has over her.

Thankyou Gary. Please pass my thanks onto your wife. What she has done must have taken a huge emotional chunk out of all your lives. We can only hope she is re-united with her sister minus the filth. Good luck to you and your family Gary.

Gary FRNSW said:
DSM5 said:
Bob, it's reasonably interesting reading, and it's in Fairfax not News ltd.. I met the woman, sister of the 'Nero' guy's partner, during the case and she told me of the weirdness of this guy. How she's written a book detailing his sordid life and the manipulation of those around him (probably the basis of this article). I watched him during the court case screaming out accusations of harassment of those in court. Total basket case. I have to agree with Slide, he should be investigated for what he's alleged to be doing with those kids, although Slide, the case should never had proceeded past the committal hearing. Brett must have spent half a million defending this crap, with no recompense. I'm sure he would have liked the case dismissed earlier. As I noted at the time, the case seemed so flimsy, the DPP and cops must have had another agenda.

Hi DSM5,

You are 110% correct. My wife, "Lisa" was the sister of "Nero's" partner and despite writing extensively about the case, was unable to take it any further due to the legal complexities surrounding the protection of the accusers. To any doubters of Brett's innocence, there can be no more damning evidence that Mary's own sister was prepared to support Brett rather than her own sister. To Lisa's credit, she could not sit by and let Brett suffer the indignation of the slurs made against him and contacted the respected journalist, Mark Whittaker. To quote the rugby league cliche, Lisa passed Mark the ball and he ran with it, sidestepped a few issues and scored the winning try. Credit should also be given to Lisa for the lead up work and making the break. Lisa is to Mark as Cliffy is to Beaver. Take nothing away from Mark, he covered many miles and thoroughly researched the facts to produce his "Sins of the Father". Mark's reputation as an honest and hard working journalist is beyond reproach. This is what gives this article the credibility that so many others lack.
Lisa is sadly still lamenting the separation from her only sister and like "Nero's" daughter, is waiting for the day that "he either goes to jail or someone puts a bullet through his head". Maybe then Mary will be released from the psychopathic control this mongrel has over her.
What a fantastic woman your wife must be. As not only a manly fan but a supporter of Brett I thank her for doing what she has done.

This is a powerful story which should be mandatory reading for everyone that has an opinion about the incident. This will live with and haunt Brett for the rest of his life. I am very thankful to Lisa for having the courage to tell this story. Here's hoping that a tv show like 60 Minutes or Four Corners picks this up so that a wider audience can learn about the type of person Nero is and what really happened to Brett.

Daniel said:
Gary FRNSW said:
Daniel said:
Gary FRNSW said:
DSM5 said:

Hi DSM5,

Gary thank you so much for coming in and clarifying/adding this additional information.
I trust you are also a Manly supporter, which just makes you even more of a champ :)

Sorry all, born and bred a Bulldog, but converted to the Eagles when I met Lisa. You will be pleased to know that some of her happiest memories as a kid was sliding down the hill at Brookie on sheets of cardboard during half time at the games. That and teasing the incinerator man (Paul Vautin) at primary school.
Keep up the good fight!

Ahhh a fond memory that so many of us share individually

I remember sliding down the back of the hill on a bit of cardboard. How could i forget? it was only three days ago.

Rodo said:
This is a powerful story which should be mandatory reading for everyone that has an opinion about the incident. This will live with and haunt Brett for the rest of his life. I am very thankful to Lisa for having the courage to tell this story. Here's hoping that a tv show like 60 Minutes or Four Corners picks this up so that a wider audience can learn about the type of person Nero is and what really happened to Brett.

A tv show would be perfect, because it might have a chance of getting through to the Parra and Bulldogs fans out there who believe Brett is guilty but can't read or can't be bothered to read.

would have to be 60 Minutes or A Current Affair.

Westies can't count to ABC so 4 corners is out...

Irate Harmer slams Stewart's critics Danny Weidler
June 24, 2012
Read later

Eagle Angel ... Wendy Harmer. Photo: Sahlan Hayes
THE Eagles Angels, Manly's female celebrity supporter group, celebrated 10 years last week - and their most outspoken member is still very angry about the treatment of their favourite player, Brett Stewart. And if he decided to leave the NRL, you get the feeling they'd understand. Wendy Harmer and the Eagles Angels had shreds torn off them for daring to back Stewart. ''The attacks on the Eagles Angels were nothing compared with what Brett Stewart went through,'' she said. Harmer's fury was re-ignited after the publication of an article in last week's Good Weekend, which detailed what a sick criminal the father of the girl at the centre of the Stewart rape allegations is. He manipulated her and her mother and defrauded others. But more than that, he has forever ruined the reputation of a good man - Stewart. "The attacks on Brett were just horrifying - and the worst part of it was that it was a pack mentality. People just jumped into him and one attack was worse than the next. There were very few members of the media on radio, TV or print who could say that they didn't join in. It's a huge problem in Australia. And the accusations were harsh. If there are two things that a man would never want to be accused of, it's rape and being a paedophile - Brett was accused of the first and there were plenty of people wanting to take it a step further because the girl was not 18. The mob mentality was just disgusting. You know, mud sticks in a big way, and I am just amazed that Brett is able to play football still - let alone to the level that he has reached. The courage that young man has displayed, I'm just amazed. He was the subject of blanket condemnation like I have rarely seen it before.'' The article made particular mention of the ABC program Media Watch. That show attacked a story I broke on Nine News as the story was unfolding. Media Watch accused me of trying to run a smear campaign against the father of the so-called victim. The truth of the matter is I was interested in telling the truth about the situation. Good Weekend wrote: ''The ABC's Media Watch did not query where those stories came from, but it did attack Channel Nine for raising Nero's [real name altered to a pseudonym for legal reasons] history of fraud. It suggested the Manly club was running a smear campaign. A somewhat defamatory comment still on the Media Watch website reflects the thinking that many of us would have shared at the time: ''Shame on anyone who thinks that it is okay to start a smear campaign against the father of the alleged victim. This is typical, a player sexually assaults someone, the club covers it up using a smear campaign.'' Well, Media Watch is still carrying that embarrassing report and you can view the pompous and unresearched mutterings of their host online to this day. How he and those who produced the program on that night were not sacked is a mystery. Stewart and the Eagles should have taken legal action against them - they successfully sued News Ltd. For the record, no one from the club fed any kind of story about the father to me. Nor did I have a particularly close relationship with Brett Stewart, his brother Glenn or his family. The father of the girl was handing his phone number out to the media and backgrounding journos off the record from moment one of the story, and that just smelt bad. ''I don't know if any amount of money or apologies can make up for what was done to Brett,'' Harmer said. The most telling point of the whole sorry saga is that the jury took less than an hour to reach a verdict: not guilty.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/irate-harmer-slams-stewarts-critics-20120623-20vle.html#ixzz1yeocXHTE

Anyone else think this will eventually be made into an ESPN 60:60 doco?
Under something like The Hardest Word to say is Sorry.

For those not familiar they are series of documentaries with sport as a common theme.

This is disgraceful. Why is this arsehat not in jail.

Brett Stewart's humility and grace in this, show what a fantastic bloke he really is.

Thread locked for the time being, Dan if you want it open go for it.

Someone is going to get themselves or the site in trouble the way some of the posts on here are headed.

Eveyone has had their say.

Have removed all the posts in relation to the other subject that highjacked this thread. Thread open again as original topic was valid and should remain open to discussion.

My thanks to Gary and Lisa for making this huge effort to see that the truth is heard.

As for Snake all I can say is WOW! I really don't know how you have managed to conduct yourself like you have over the last couple of years. You are a better man than me.

Here's hoping you see some wide open spaces next Wednesday night. You deserve a hat trick. And you deserve to be at Manly FOREVER.

For those interested, and who may not have been on this site at the time, the daily court proceedings can be seen, if one looks, still posted on the site.
That can be found here:

Whatever happened to DSM5
Had a beer with him and miss Kate in the Caxton many moons ago.
I met him at a Newcastle game!
But you know what psychologists are like - I expect he challenged himself to stop posting on ST for some reason of self-preservation (?)
Can't blame him for that, but I'm sure he still lurks or if not still follows Manly very closely.
In fact if he knew his post count has shrunk in the interim from 9999 to 9989 he may come back and hit us 10 more times!
@DSM5

Whatever happened to DSM5
Had a beer with him and miss Kate in the Caxton many moons ago.
From his profile:

DSM5
Premium Member Tipping Comp 2021
First Grader · 51

Last seen
Yesterday at 11:40 AM

It would appear from that that he is still around but chooses not to participate in any of the forum discussions.

Team P W L PD Pts
2 2 0 36 4
2 2 0 26 4
2 2 0 23 4
2 2 0 19 4
2 2 0 12 4
2 1 1 13 2
2 1 1 10 2
2 1 1 3 2
2 1 1 0 2
2 1 1 0 2
2 1 1 -14 2