News: Perry expected to go

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
<p>Manly is resigned to losing international prop Josh Perry to English club St Helens, but remain hopeful of retaining Kiwi Test centre Steve Matai.</p>

<a href="http://silvertails.net/news/4768-perry-expected-to-go.html">Read the full article</a>

It's a shame considering his effort this year.  And it sounds like they've withdrawn the 2 year offer since there's no mention of the whole 'he wants three, we're offering two only' thing.

Upside to this is the money they can load into Foran and Hokko.

With Matai, maybe that will end up being a one to two year deal only?

He has been a good buy - but this is why the Storm won so many comps - good players didnt move on.

Thanks for the effort Josh

Rambo1987 link said:
He has been a good buy - but this is why the Storm won so many comps - good players didnt move on.

Thanks for the effort Josh
Storm did not win any comps  :D

The grand finals they played were despite regularly losing good players. They did however retain their core of high quality stars. 

I thought Kite might seek a release from the last year of his contract. Anyway if keeping Hodko, Foran and Matai means Perry has to go, then so be it.

MANLY and probable NSW prop Josh Perry will quit the NRL for England's Super League.
Perry has agreed to a lucrative two-year deal with giant British club St Helens.

Perry's impending move after this season will allow Manly to re-sign rising halves Trent Hodkinson and Kieran Foran.

Perry, 29, has won a premiership, a World Club Challenge and represented NSW and Australia since joining Manly for the start of 2008.

The 114kg prop was a Kangaroo last week against New Zealand in Melbourne and is certain to be named in the NSW squad for State of Origin I on May 26 at ANZ Stadium.

Asked yesterday when he would decide his future, Perry said: "I think we'll get something sorted out after Origin, definitely.

"I just want to play my best footy and not worry about all that other stuff and hopefully get across the line for NSW.

"As I said, we will wait until after State of Origin and see what happens."

Perry admitted this series could be his finale for NSW.

"You always look at it as being your last game," Perry said.

"You always go out there and think it could be your last Origin game."

Manly and New Zealand Test centre Steve Matai is also working on his future.

Matai is off contract after this year and, after ongoing negotiations, looks set to remain with the Sea Eagles.

"I haven't [signed] yet but I have been speaking to the club and hopefully we can get that sorted out in the next few weeks so I can start focusing on playing some good footy," Matai said.

Asked whether he wanted to remain at Brookvale, Matai said: "Definitely, the boys are great and the staff are great. I definitely want to stay. We are talking but nothing has been set in stone."

Manly are also confident they will re-sign Hodkinson to a long-term contract, despite interest from Canterbury.

The Sea Eagles see Hodkinson and Foran as a 10-year scrum-base combination.

Hodkinson said this week: "I'm 100 per cent loving it at Manly. They gave me my opportunity, so 100 per cent I want to stay here. I'm just loving my footy at the moment."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/josh-perry-is-nrls-latest-loss/story-e6frexnr-1225865707825

there are a few good kids coming thru so we really dont have to sign anyone though I reckon Des & Crusher will find a cheap old hack that they will turn into a star

lets hope Bhurer and co get a run before the end of the season then so we can test them out

TBH, I looked at all our props stats on NRL Stats, and fail to see why Perry is getting the raps he has been getting. His hit-up meters are good, but nothing impressive. If he does move on, then I am happy to have Kite, Rose, King and Cross as the 4 rotaters and maybe another fringe prop in there as well.

CliffyIsGod link said:
TBH, I looked at all our props stats on NRL Stats, and fail to see why Perry is getting the raps he has been getting. His hit-up meters are good, but nothing impressive. If he does move on, then I am happy to have Kite, Rose, King and Cross as the 4 rotaters and maybe another fringe prop in there as well.

My thoughts exactly. I suppose selectors may feel he could add some passion, brute and aggression at a guess.

Buhrer won't be a consistent first grader IMO. Definitely not as a prop, he is too small for a backrower..

Pepi link said:
Buhrer won't be a consistent first grader IMO. Definitely not as a prop, he is too small for a backrower..

Exact same thing was said about Tongue mate.

Ryan link said:
[quote author=Pepi link=topic=183305.msg262448#msg262448 date=1273732742]

Exact same thing was said about Tongue mate.
[/quote]

Can't see Tongue making it as a prop either tbh.

It's a shame but we'll find someone. We won't have too much depth at prop though and we need that. But as BE said Cross and Gulavao are going much better than expected so I'm sure we can turn around another player like them.

THE Sea Eagles will get a final crack at retaining Australian prop Josh Perry, but it appears certain the 29-year-old will see out his career in England.

Perry’s manager Mike Newton confirmed on Thursday that his client is in deep discussions with English club St Helens.

The Saints are preparing a three-year deal for the prop, who is likely to be named in the Blues’ 17-man squad on Monday night.

Perry opted for St Helens following discussions with Manly centre Jamie Lyon who previously spent three years in the northern English town.

“St Helens was Josh’s first choice of club,” Newton confirmed on Thursday.

“But nothing has been done yet, we are pretty close.

“I’m hoping to have a package (with St Helens) finalised over the next week, the ball will then be in Manly’s court.

“I’ll then sit down with Manly and see where they stand.”

With centre Steve Matai, outside back Ben Farrar and young halfback Trent Hodkinson all yet to re-sign with the Sea Eagles, Perry is likely to head to the United Kingdom. A move to a rival NRL club has already been ruled out by the representative front-rower.

http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/perry-set-to-finish-career-at-st-helens/

Ahh the Foran question goes out again. Has he or has he not re-signed yet? Sometimes it is reported that he has signed and then next thing he is reported to yet to sign. That Manly Daily article doesn't have his name listed.

Just wondering if anyone has seen much of Sione Fakahua in our under 20's. Only seen glimpses of him but he's a big unit and from what I've seen he doesn't mind having a dig, he looks like he could develop into something handy...but maybe that's just wishful thinking on my behalf.
Would be interested on any feed back because I couldn't find much info on him.

In the 20's we have Cunningham & Stromquist.
At least one of these two will prove to be the goods. Lama Tasi also looks to have a big future.

If we have big Joe for next year, by the year after, some of these boys will be pushing for a start.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7