News: NRL not ceding to FFA

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
<p>NRL boss David Gallop has warned FFA it will not give a free kick to its World Cup bid by drastically altering the rugby league season to accommodate the event.</p>

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/4440-nrl-not-ceding-to-ffa.html">Read the full article</a>

I just can't understand why the NRL are even considering accommodating soccer in any shape or form.  Why all the buddy-buddy stuff when that code wants us to disappear.  The only explanation is that Gallop wants some Federal job on a sports Commission when he's turfed out of the NRL for being a gutless turd.  The AFL seem to have told the soccer jerks to piss off.     

I can see this argument going for years if we win....

An even like the world cup can only be good for the league - better stadiums, etc

Part of the world cup requirements is that not only are stadiums for games required, but also training grounds. Therefore, maybejust maybe we would see some cash thrown at brookie etc

Also, FFS, we are talking at least 9 if not 13 years away for a 6-8 week period.

I know FIFA would never let it happen, but it'd be cool if they could play an NRL game as a curtain raiser to some of the World Cup games.

The world cup is about a million times bigger than the nrl.  Its 13 years off if we win, they should grow up and get over it. 

How about soccer works it's games around our schedule?

Why can't they play in our offseason?

I am not a huge soccer fan but did take an interest when Australia played in the last world cup and will again next year.  Hopefully they can come to some sort of agreement, would be great to have it held here. 

Chip & Chase link said:
I know FIFA would never let it happen, but it'd be cool if they could play an NRL game as a curtain raiser to some of the World Cup games.
Soccer fans (and players) would all piss their pants in fear! A glimpse of a real contact sport and they would all be in the fetal position rocking back and forward, drooling and squealing for Mummy.

Good point, maybe they are better off trying to schedule it to run in conjunction with the Mardi Gras. That would be a more appropriate cross promotion opportunity. If they were real smart they would get FINA to run the World Diving Championships at the same time, so we could see the worlds best divers, in and out of the pool.

nodd link said:
How about soccer works it's games around our schedule?

Why can't they play in our offseason?

I love my league but you are talking about a game that is played in three countries (at a decent level)

You can not compare this to one of the only truly world games. It can not be played in the league off season as football is played during our summer and needs to be played during the european summer (i.e. June July our time)

the world cup is as big as the Olympics - if we win it, and it is a massive if, it would be fantastic

If Gallop had any brains he would demand a hefty fee of tens of millions of dollars from the government and FFA to as compensation for deferig games. 

This money would then be split between the clubs as compensation and also used to upgrade grounds such as Brookie, Leichhardt, belmore etc ovals. 

It is a once in a lifetime opportunity and if Gallop doesn't do it then we need to replace him with someone who will

blitzkrieg link said:
[quote author=Chip & Chase link=topic=182140.msg247203#msg247203 date=1260356633]
Soccer fans (and players) would all piss their pants in fear! A glimpse of a real contact sport and they would all be in the fetal position rocking back and forward, drooling and squealing for Mummy.
[/quote]

Sounds like a sharks supporter on a tour of the trophy room.

they turned their trophy room into a broom closet years ago, was more productive use of available resources.

And Norths turned their trophy room into a torture chamber so they could continue to make their supporters suffer.

I cant understand the NRL and AFL. It is only for 6-8 weeks for the biggest competition in the world.

Someone on the radio said they should play a World Cup game at Hampden Park.. scary thing was he was serious.

Instead of bickering.. NRL should come up with ideas on how to expand their own game.. ie take some games to the bush during those rounds.. a mid season break to refresh players before (delayed Origin/Finals games.. as they always complain about the number of games).

Ask for a compensation fee to use any grounds needed or for affecting their schedule..  Somehow even use the World Cup to advertise heavily during the 8 week period.. there will be lots of foreigners and people watching.. during the ads even.. NRL ads..

Seriously.. theres a reason why FIFA is a world game and the NRL isnt.. lack of leadership from the top.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4