News: NRL may be owned by clubs: Gallop

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
<p>The NRL will consider handing over ownership of the competition to its clubs in the biggest structural overhaul of its history, league chief David Gallop has revealed in <em>Rugby League Week</em>.</p> <p>News Limited and the Australian Rugby League have been co-owners of the NRL since 1998 but a sub-committee is looking at a new structure which would give both organisations the chance to eliminate or reduce their involvement.</p>

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/General-NRL/nrl-may-be-owned-by-clubs-gallop.html">Read the full article</a>

ManlyBacker link said:
<p>The NRL will consider handing over ownership of the competition to its clubs  in the biggest structural overhaul of its history, league chief David Gallop has  revealed in <em>Rugby League Week</em>.</p> <p>News Limited and the Australian Rugby League have been co-owners of the NRL  since 1998 but a sub-committee is looking at a new structure which would give  both organisations the chance to eliminate or reduce their involvement.</p>

<a href=\"http://www.silvertails.net/news/General-NRL/nrl-may-be-owned-by-clubs-gallop.html\">Read the full article</a>

Best thing that could happen to the game. News Ltd should not be running the whole show and particularly with the conflict of interest of owning a number of the clubs.

ManlyBacker link said:
a sub-committee is looking at a new structure which would give  both organisations the chance to eliminate or reduce their involvement.</p>

<a href=\"http://www.silvertails.net/news/General-NRL/nrl-may-be-owned-by-clubs-gallop.html\">Read the full article</a>

so reading between the lines it's also possible that news could completely take over the game under this proposal. 

um guys think about this for a second....
how many privately owned clubs so far? 2-3? not sure myself
now how many are news owned? 6-7? and i imagine a couple are still leagues club run - like parra etc

so the biggest voting bloc in the new arrangment is going to be owned by news. I would say that as unfair as it is at the moment the big decisions are still being largely influenced by the public via the media orgs.

BUT... now your talking about a group of clubs that will almost ALWAYS vote the way their paymasters want. (gallop goes to the backroom as puppet master, brings in a new chump to be "CEO", and things continue as before).

only now you have a incumbent majority that will never change their position.

hmmm great idea....

When it comes to this subject I would expect nothing but hot air, spin doctoring and political manouvering from Gallop.

Keep an eye out for smoke & mirrors too.

DailyTerrorgraphHater link said:
now how many are news owned? 6-7? and i imagine a couple are still leagues club run - like parra etc

so the biggest voting bloc in the new arrangment is going to be owned by news. I would say that as unfair as it is at the moment the big decisions are still being largely influenced by the public via the media orgs.

BUT... now your talking about a group of clubs that will almost ALWAYS vote the way their paymasters want. (gallop goes to the backroom as puppet master, brings in a new chump to be \"CEO\", and things continue as before).

hmmm great idea....
This all began in about '96 didn't it?

DailyTerrorgraphHater link said:

BUT... now your talking about a group of clubs that will almost ALWAYS vote the way their paymasters want. (gallop goes to the backroom as puppet master, brings in a new chump to be \"CEO\", and things continue as before).

hmmm great idea....
mate melbourne and brisbane are the only 2 clubs news have shares in

Wait a second, what stops News Ltd buying the clubs after the trade?

And here is the second question, a club like Brisbane Broncos brings in more money than say for instance Manly. Does this mean that the Broncos would get a larger share of the Television profits? Do Broncos deserver to receive more (I actually believe so, but i don't want to see it).

There is a lot of traps before you jump on the band wagon. I am all for it but if it isn't each club has equal share then there is problem.

You don't want an exact copy of the EPL, where if the profits were $2b last year. Man Utd in 1st would have received approx $200mil and where Derby (last) received only $10mil.

i think u guys will find it will work like the NFL who has a commisioner who is employed by the clubs.

I think all clubs would have an equal share of the game.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6