News: No more players for Sea Eagles

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I think the little "get a new member" offering is a good one (already)....I was more thinking about enhancing the member experience (and once they have been on a MWTS trip they WILL feel enhanced)

In that case Mark I am in complete agreeance! the fundamental part of being a member of a football club is the feeling you get as being part of something... The club needs to ensure all its members feel a valued part of the club!

Jaime Bennett link said:
So what you are saying is that every manly fan should become members to show support... and the club shouldnt have to make any effort or provide any incentives, but for you to suggest other people become members you should be rewarded? Shouldnt you simply be recruiting members to show your support?
I agree there must be value, but let's not forget that AFL club members see it a a rite of passage and what can they do for their club rather than what is in it for them.

I personally seek no reward for recruiting new members, quite the opposite I have offered to contribute to a prize for those who do recruit the most.

The truth is we need a major attitude adjustment in relation to our club and the so called "what's in it for us" view. What's in it for me is to see my Club survive and prosper, I seek nothing more, but I am happy to encourage others to recruit.

I had the opinion that we were waiting for the end of the season to announce the new major sponsor? That's what some wrote on here in the last couple months or so. Maybe potential sponsors are waiting for the Stewart case to be resolved before they are prepared to negotiate further.

Re the memberships, i think it is vital to every sporting organisation that as many people become members as possible. That could also be used to attract larger sponsors, plus gives more money to the club.

Getting back re Ryan’s original post - I’m a fairly regular reader of these forums but don’t and can’t spend all day every day in front of it so only answer things put to me directly on the public forum as best I can and when I can.

When I do post on public forums I invariably do it as a fan – NOT as an official of the Football Club so I do need to be careful that my own personal opinions are not confused as “official statements” from the Sea Eagles? (As per above people may think that I have a seat on the Eagles board and have direct influence on the hiring of the CEO or day to day running of the privately owned franchise which of course I don’t?)

That said, I am of course privy to information from time to time that is not more widely available and occasionally that may include information that is commercial in confidence or not appropriate to be posted in the public arena (Which hopefully you will understand?) so I have to be mindful of that as part of my obligations as an office holder so can’t always “tell all” for obvious reasons.

So rather than challenge me to make public statements I’m more than happy that people initially PM me or call or email me at [email protected] with specific questions rather than in a public forum (Mind you I do prefer that you have committed to being a Football Club or Sea Eagles member which I think is only fair?) and I’ll do what I can to answer any questions as best I can within those restrictions– If there are things I don’t know then I’ll try to find out (Haven’t forgotten you Mata, have been interstate and in mid house move so flat chat)

I agree with the point above that to see people be critical of the CEO for not announcing sponsorship deals who will not be taking up a membership themselves would be disappointing – 10,000 fans that individually “sponsor” our team is the goal so please have a look at mwse.com.au for details and if you can, sign up?

To see people be critical of the running of the comp by News Ltd (Such as game scheduling etc) but then quite happy to spend their hard earned on a Foxtel subscription rather than a club membership is always confusing to me.

One point I’d like to make is that the Football Club (on behalf of it’s membership) has had an influence on significantly reduced prices of season 2011 memberships, made them more flexible for out of town fans and included a reduced “upsell” price for people to join the Football Club – This is just one example of why we need a strong Football Club (member run entity) so that we as fans can have a voice at board level of the Sea Eagles.

Revenue for the club is made up of many income streams including money from the NRL, gate receipts, memberships, merchandise, sponsorships, events and TV rights – we can all help.

This is not a “True Supporter” message or intended to kick off that tired old thread – it’s more about stating the bleeding obvious – the more members we have the more successful out club will be and the more likely we will be able to attract and retain players and have the support infrastructure needed.

Rest assured that Graham Lowe and his management team are doing (and have done) everything in their power to attract and secure sponsorship deals and to surmise or rank him/them on that performance thus far would be premature until we have a new season close by and still no announcement made?

We are far from broke (as should have deduced recently when the Sharks, Titans and Knights had to apply to the NRL for a cash bail out in July (we didn’t))

I have supported the current administration (whilst I’ve not always agreed with everything that has been done or how) and from what I’ve seen and what I’ve heard from a range of reliable sources I will continue to do so - but rest assured Ryan I will be pushing to the front of the line to throw rocks should the situation change and will encourage others to do the same.

Cheers
Vid

Ps By the way Ryan – Integrated appear to be sponsoring the coach and Sanyo Solar appear to be “campaign” sponsors (whatever that may mean) for GWS rather than $million plus shirt sponsors so may be a bit misleading to compare them to a Quantum or similar?

PPS to compare us to the Broncos who are a “one team town” and play at one of the best appointed grounds in the country is also a bit apples/oranges?

Nice considered response Vidmar.
I'd just like to point out that I, for one, don;t have a Foxtell service and I've just renewed for my 2011 membership so I'm entitled to bag the NRL for the scheduling of matches.

Barry, I also have Foxtel and am also a 2011 member AND I'LL BAG THE CRAP OUT OF THEM FOR THE NON SCHEDULING OF MATCHES!!

Sorry to shout but after 4 years of organising the MWTS trips I am BLOODY PISSED OFF.

Finding out 2 or 3 weks before a weekend is ****e....I told it to Gallops face a couple of years ago and despite promises things would be better...they are not.

I'm not saying anything either. Dan can you start a new forum for all of us that don't want to comment?

Okay, I will say something.  We may be better off getting a sponsor after Stewart's case, assuming he's innocent.  (Byso has alluded to this).

Our public image has taken a battering over the past 20 months.  A verdict of not guilty will be a tipping point that hopefully sees us ascend from the current valley of public opinion. 

Agreed 100%. All those expecting a deal to be sewn up while this drama is unfolding have no idea. The effects of this event (and the excrutiatingly slow progress of the court case) on the entire team and club, have to be immense. Let's let the dust settle.

First off, I think Lowe did a real good job at holding onto some of the off contract stars we had, (Lyon, G Stewart, Watmough, Foran & Matai), that being said I still find it hard to believe we are anywhere near out cap considering the dollars that have walked out the door.  IF we really are at our cap level, the managers of those players have done a particularly good job for themselves and their players.  I initially thought Lowe's comments that Manly couldn't afford Beaver was him trying to deflect the pressure off the club not wanting to sign him and blaming the NRL via the cap.

In terms of comparing NRL memberhips to AFL membership.  Basically the AFL has a 30 year headstart on the NRL.  The current NRL membership numbers compare very favourably with the AFL when their focus on membership numbers started to occur in the 1980s.  It would be foolish to expect clubs to hit the 20-30k mark after only a few years of pushing it.  It's about identifying what your supporter base wants and in this day and age with so many things to drain our pockets to say someone is less of a fan because they aren't a member doesn't wash with me.  I haven't been a member for a couple of years but the thousands of dollars I have in merchandise, most of all bought from the club, tells me I've contributed in a dollar sense as much as anyone who has bought a membership.

On the foxtel scheduling of matches, I'm not a big fan of scheduling the season in advance.  I can see the advantages, but I still think its in the codes best interests if it can have its most appealing matches on the best nights for TV.  The only area I'd like to see improve is an evening out of Monday night matches as there is no doubt in my mind that it can have a massive effect on a clubs performance the following week.  Also if TV stations are going to have a say in the scheduling of games I would like them to pay heavily for the privilege.

It's funny how a thread regarding the club saying that they won't sign any more players get's back on the Lowe and club membership theme.

I knew this year we wouldn't be in a position to make huge signing's like the Bulldogs etc. but next season will be a different story with everyone's favourite goat photo holder Bailey off contract, Tony Williams off contract and the big one Brent Kite also off contract

What does Crusher the recruitment manager have to do when the team is not recruiting players ? I wouldnt mind his job.

This looks like a 5 year plan to me.
We will develop the young players over the next few years & make a play for the premiership again in 4-5 yrs.

Allrighty then. I'm in brissie and another mate of mine became a member in 2010 for the first time which was great. So we decided to go to brookie in round 5 to watch the sharks as he had never been. We conned a few bronco fans as well and off we went, still blurry from the NZ trip the week before

It was a sunday arvo game, beautiful day , glorious in fact, the sharkies had a heap of support there but we still had room to stretch out on the hill, but that's not my point

Advertised was and old boys function at the leagues club, if a FC member and a player signing at another club down the road who was a sponsor

My mate was pumped, joins the FC club with a day at brookie and chance to meet some old players and get a few signatures from the current squad to boot

After a great win we head to the leagues for the old boys function. Its dead, no one there hardly, we wait, wait and wait along with fellow fans we know, but no atmosphere and no old boys, Not 1. Been there about an hour and i start quizzing people i know, whats doing i say ???. I just keep getting the same response, just stay around

Anyway the phone goes off and its another mate, where are ya mate. I'm at the leagues club i say. The function is down here at the other club he replies. But what about the old boys function. Not happening he reckons, its just a ploy to get you to drink at the league's club. DOH

We all start talking , and decide to move. Order cabs, i scunged a lift and left some other mates in a q. Different story, but just wanted to put that in , so they might read it

We get there with enough time to get some signatures for my mate, who was over the moon but a bit miffed at what has transpired

My point is i suppose is the fractions within the club, owners and boards with the same agenda but different plans on getting there.We need solid leadership all going in the same direction. He is a manly fan, and a top bloke but a lesser man may have got the ****s with the politics involved and just turned his back

We had told the 3 bronco fans that to attend the old boys function they would have to join the FC club as they were prepared to do, but it just didn't happen. What a day that would have been. No one can make the old boys show, that's not my problem . I suspect the club knew and were feeding us some sugar coated dung

This other club was sponsoring manly and as a result were given an after match function.Let them have there hour in the sun, they might sponsor us again if its worth there while

Crusher has done a wonderful job, whe you think of potential like Whare, Oldfield, Foran, Tasi, Hargreaves, Higgins, Cunningham, that is 7 probable nrl players (4 already) Also we kept Hopoate who would have had clubs drooling over him.

Ok, I am sad about developing forwards (hard to keep) Tasi and Hargreaves but if they didn't want to stay then there is a reason why?  Money maybe but Lowie's comment about Des liking the older experienced heads would be a concern for a younger player. If we had kept Hargreaves within our 17 next year we would have gone real close. Maybe Hargreaves and his management felt that Des couldn't develop him into a top line player?

Options like Gulavou, Cross and Rose in our top 17 is a massive concern. Let's hope Rose gets fit over the off season as we really need him to step up, not out  :D

I don't get your beef with Galuvao Darren

Every single time he took the field he went hard and straight and made his tackles

i thought gulavou was an absolute standout when he was on the field this season, as kiwi said, he ran straight and hard, alot better then crabby watmough, shame des didnt put him in for longer minutes !

He did quite well but he was languishing at Sunshine for quite alot of the year, hence, Des didn't really rate him in the top 17. Carrying him, (an unfit) Rose and a very average year from Cross in 2011 will hold us back. At 33, you can't see Gulavou being anymore than a stopgap.

then why didn't he play all year? He did look good when he finally got a run, maybe Des knew something we didn't.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2