News: Hoppa to it, Mr Lowe

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
MANLY boss Graham Lowe is convinced the Sea Eagles will not lose outstanding young talent William Hopoate to the Bulldogs.Hopoate was instrumental in Manly’s methodical 20-10 win over the Warriors at Brookvale Oval on Saturday.The 18-year-old was again filling in for regular fullback Brett Stewart, who missed the round six match with a hamstring injury.

Read the full article

Berkeley_Eagle said:
MANLY boss Graham Lowe is convinced the Sea Eagles will not lose outstanding young talent William Hopoate to the Bulldogs.Hopoate was instrumental in Manly’s methodical 20-10 win over the Warriors at Brookvale Oval on Saturday.The 18-year-old was again filling in for regular fullback Brett Stewart, who missed the round six match with a hamstring injury.

Read the full article

I really hope we keep Hoppa. He's a great prospect. I'm also not happy that the Dogs are looking at taking him. Can't they develop their own players.

Andy1972
Manly Forever.

big statement here but , i will hand in my membership and stop following manly if we lose hoppa ,and these other kids , where not buying any big names and if we lose these means we are in big trouble in the money stakes , all the other clubs seem to be able to get players and keep the ones they have , cap? no such thing the brown paper bag full of cabbage is back i think ......

I'm pretty sure it was James Maloney and not Lance Hohaia he stood up.

The Dogs have actually had a pretty good success rate at targetting players the last few years. They don't seem to miss many. Fingers & toes crossed Hoppa will leave them disappointed.

mudgeagle said:
big statement here but , i will hand in my membership and stop following manly if we lose hoppa ,and these other kids , where not buying any big names and if we lose these means we are in big trouble in the money stakes , all the other clubs seem to be able to get players and keep the ones they have , cap? no such thing the brown paper bag full of cabbage is back i think ......

Far out.

How long do you think the following would last on the open market and how much do you think they would be worth

- Brett Stewart
- Glenn Stewart
- Anthony Watmough
- David Williams
- Matt Ballin
- Jason King
- Jamie Lyon
- Steve Matai
- Kieran Foran

They are all marquee players that a lot of other clubs would kill to have and would all demand some pretty fair coin too.

We aren't massively active in the open market because we already have a whole bunch of top line players, that would be in high demand when their contracts are up

mudgeagle said:

Yes, very big statement, come on mate we will be ok

Owners having to put in extra to major sponsor, fallen down ground with little corporate and small revenue, tv deal not until 2013, what do you expect? money bags hanging off the goalposts?

This is where we are at, you may be whinging in next couple of years when you hear we can't reach the salary cap limit. No funds to expand the oval and make more corporate seating and capacity is the problem. Hoppa can go if he gets big dough, simple as that

Can not blame the dogs - we do the same but for younger players (i.e. Buhrer etc)

It all depends on how much Hoppa wants from us to stay a Sea Eagle & how much a extremely talented 18year old with that has played 5 1st grade games is worth, The other clubs will come in and force the price up for sure but if in 5 years time he will be up there with the highet paid for sure imo, this is where salary cap consesions for local juniors coming thru the grades & long stay players needs to be introduced so clubs can foster & keep their kids

Sorry correction - I meant in terms of playing age i.e. we grab from Toyota Cup etc where the dogs seem to pick up emerging / established first graders

mudgeagle said:

No you won't, life goes on...it's only a game.

I hope we keep him, and will be a tragedy if we don't but this is what happens....you develop players and the rich clubs circle, especially if they don't have much of nuturing ground underneath (such as we have).

I think he'll stay BUT it will cost some players at the top to keep him...I'd be surprised if Kite / Robbo were here in 2012 so maybe the funds come from there.

Mark from Brisbane said:
mudgeagle said:

No you won't, life goes on...it's only a game.

I hope we keep him, and will be a tragedy if we don't but this is what happens....you develop players and the rich clubs circle, especially if they don't have much of nuturing ground underneath (such as we have).

I think he'll stay BUT it will cost some players at the top to keep him...I'd be surprised if Kite / Robbo were here in 2012 so maybe the funds come from there.
If we lost only Kite and Robbo to keep Hoppa I would be ecstatic!!

This is from todays Telecrap regarding John Hopooate's ongong court case -

The magistrate also took into account some glowing references from Manly coach Des Hasler and Eagles exec Peter Peters

You would have to think John would talk young Will into staying at Manly under Dessy!

Berkeley_Eagle said:
It all depends on how much Hoppa wants from us to stay a Sea Eagle & how much a extremely talented 18year old with that has played 5 1st grade games is worth, The other clubs will come in and force the price up for sure but if in 5 years time he will be up there with the highet paid for sure imo, this is where salary cap consesions for local juniors coming thru the grades & long stay players needs to be introduced so clubs can foster & keep their kids

You are a fool exemptions for local juniors yeah that would help us pull your head in, I guess we let the young star go and we keep snake don't get me wrong but his best day's are behind him and we are pissing money up the wall at the moment with his contract. I say at his best he was a star but at the moment he is as slow as rose and never fit I know who I want playing fullback at the minute, and don't give me a spiel about getting fitness his knees are shot and his career gone those are the facts.I have just moved interstate and was stuck with watching some afl and I have to say our fan base and ground is a joke, in a city the size of Sydney 8,000 lol and the despicable decrepit old ground I nearly cried, the afl crowds were 80,000 40,000 and 38,000 how can we survive? I say we can't I'm glad I saw the glory day's of the club because it is all downhill from here, and don't hit me with the rain excuse if we can't pull more then that and improve the standard of the ground then i think we deserve all we get. I'm ready for all the personal insults and the troll line trotted out but as supporters if you think we are going well you are dreaming,poor fan base,disgusting ground equals no MAJOR sponsor and losing young players.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7