News: Api Koroisau contract situation

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I must admit Dylan is really impressing me at 5/8 - his passing is better, he's taking it to the line and looks a genuine player there. The only criticism from me would be it was DCE taking every long kick out of trouble yesterday but thankfully he was well positioned most times and not rushed too much which forces him into errors. He's looking good Dylan and it's reassuring that creates a spot for Mr Reliable Parker.
Walker's kick for Garrick's try in the slime game was spot on

Getting back to Api:
Why would he leave?
I understand he lives at Dee Why and enjoys the lifestyle. He is an easy commute to/from his workplace, and his prospects of playing in a successful team are high.
Even more appealing is the fact that he won't have to slog it out for 80 minutes every match. He'll share the duties with Fainu. Thus, getting even greater value from his salary and reducing the likelihood of fatigue and injury.
Even if Manly encourages him to look around the only incentive for him would be additional money. But if he is settled on the Northern Beaches there are costs involved in commuting to, say, Canterbury most days. Plus having to carry the burden of being one of their marque players and the high expectations that he'll turn the club into winners.
No. It's not worth the risk.
Stay put Api and continue to enjoy all the benefits that come with living on the Northern Beaches and playing for a successful club.

Getting back to Api:
Why would he leave?
I understand he lives at Dee Why and enjoys the lifestyle. He is an easy commute to/from his workplace, and his prospects of playing in a successful team are high.
Even more appealing is the fact that he won't have to slog it out for 80 minutes every match. He'll share the duties with Fainu. Thus, getting even greater value from his salary and reducing the likelihood of fatigue and injury.
Even if Manly encourages him to look around the only incentive for him would be additional money. But if he is settled on the Northern Beaches there are costs involved in commuting to, say, Canterbury most days. Plus having to carry the burden of being one of their marque players and the high expectations that he'll turn the club into winners.
Stay put Api and continue to enjoy all the benefits that come with living on the Northern Beaches and playing for a successful club.

Getting back to Api:
Why would he leave?
It’s not that he would want to leave and it’s not that Manly don’t see him as a great footballer, it is more to do with the cap.
Api can get anywhere from 150-300k more if he heads to Dogs or Tigers. Tigers have Farah retiring and need a quality 9...they can justify spending 600k plus on a hooker.

We have Fainu who is a rising star and can only justify having one well paid 9 on the books, not two. Fainu’s stock has risen considerably so we just can’t afford both if we plan to keep the rest of the squad balanced.

Api will be a big loss no doubt...he is a champion and very well liked by his teammates. We should get a chance to see him play this weekend.

We should ask the Storm and Roosters how they manage to keep their players.
All I know is that Pearce must have been on a truckload as they have seemed to able to get Cronk, Criton, Morris, and co, upgrade Latrell all for his cash

It’s not that he would want to leave and it’s not that Manly don’t see him as a great footballer, it is more to do with the cap.
Api can get anywhere from 150-300k more if he heads to Dogs or Tigers. Tigers have Farah retiring and need a quality 9...they can justify spending 600k plus on a hooker.

We have Fainu who is a rising star and can only justify having one well paid 9 on the books, not two. Fainu’s stock has risen considerably so we just can’t afford both if we plan to keep the rest of the squad balanced.

Api will be a big loss no doubt...he is a champion and very well liked by his teammates. We should get a chance to see him play this weekend.
I get why other clubs would want Api, but if he wanted to stay then the club would have to retain him, wouldn't they? A club can't force a contracted player to leave, surely.

I get why other clubs would want Api, but if he wanted to stay then the club would have to retain him, wouldn't they? A club can't force a contracted player to leave, surely.

I think the club have said they will honour his contract if necessary.

Love Api I really do, but if this happens we may well be saying good-bye to one or both of our favorites Turbo and or Jurbo.
Broken record time .. if Joel goes (most likely), Trent goes (definitely ..no not the coach the other one), Lloyd P (probably) and Walker downgrade... then we increase contract on Parker, Cust and Croker. The Trbojevic brother get their reported increase next year (not end of 2020 when current contracts finish but start of 2020). We get $330k extra on cap as end of penalty. WE WILL ONLY HAVE $1.1 million to SPEND.

Should we have more? Is this such a dire position?

We can keep Api .. and be happy. I think he may command more then the $400k he is on from another club. The price gets down to importance of position and supply and demand. How many hookers are better then Api? very few. Who needs a good hooker? many. Who can afford him... a few clubs.

If all health/injury free it will be a real luxury having both Fainu and Api. It will certainly help win matches.... in my opinion.

I guess we would also half to pay a fair slice of freight as well, so perhaps makes economic sense to keep him.

From Creepy Crawley at the D(d)T

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...e/news-story/afd044cd2b40d263dc7b36cc53ea6c70

Canterbury have pinned a target on Manly hooker Api Koroisau as their priority signing for next season, just as Kieran Foran’s injury curse hits another hurdle.

Meanwhile, Pay and the Canterbury players have been rallying around Foran this week after he suffered another injury setback.
Foran has now sustained a calf problem that is believed to be directly related to his ongoing hamstring issue.

Yes but they aren't forcing him, they are telling him he can go and fill his pockets with an extra 150-300k a season and play 80 minutes, instead of collecting less money and playing less minutes in the future at Manly.

It is win-win for both parties.

Broken record time .. if Joel goes (most likely), Trent goes (definitely ..no not the coach the other one), Lloyd P (probably) and Walker downgrade... then we increase contract on Parker, Cust and Croker. The Trbojevic brother get their reported increase next year (not end of 2020 when current contracts finish but start of 2020). We get $330k extra on cap as end of penalty. WE WILL ONLY HAVE $1.1 million to SPEND.

Should we have more? Is this such a dire position?

We can keep Api .. and be happy. I think he may command more then the $400k he is on from another club. The price gets down to importance of position and supply and demand. How many hookers are better then Api? very few. Who needs a good hooker? many. Who can afford him... a few clubs.

If all health/injury free it will be a real luxury having both Fainu and Api. It will certainly help win matches.... in my opinion.
It doesn't work like that.

There are 25 other players that you forgot to include in your mathematical equation. The intricacies of the cap is something no one on this forum is privy to, so it is a complete waste of time speculating what sort coin we have "left over".

The fact is, Api knows he can play 80 and knows he can get good coin elsewhere. Fainu knows he can demand more on his next contract. Thus, we have to find more coin for both players who play the same position.

It makes no sense to tie up a guy who is being paid in excess of 500k to come off the bench and play 20 minutes of football. That is not smart cap management.

Sure, we can keep him, but it will be at the expense of someone else who would usually play more than 20 minutes a game.

It makes no sense to tie up a guy who is being paid in excess of 500k to come off the bench and play 20 minutes of football. . . .
Are you saying Api is on $500,000 a season?
Firstly, I find that very difficult to believe.
Secondly, if he is on that type of salary then why would he want to leave? After all, he only plays 40 minutes each match so, in effect, his salary is $1-m!

Last edited:
It makes no sense to tie up a guy who is being paid in excess of 500k to come off the bench and play 20 minutes of football. . . .
Are you saying Api is on $500,000 a season?
Firstly, I find that very difficult to believe.
Secondly, if he is on that type of salary then why would he want to leave? After all, he only plays 40 minutes each match so, in effect, his salary is $1-m!
Close to it...more like 400-450k. 9s get paid good money and when Api re-signed he was knocking on the door to play Origin. A club like the Tigers and Dogs would happily pay him 500k +
You have to remember it is a spine position and Api is considered in the top 5 or 6 9s in the Comp.

You seem to think he desperately wants to stay. He is a professional footballer and if he can play longer minutes for more money elsewhere, he won’t be complaining. Sure, he’d probably prefer to get the 600k at Manly and play 80 mins a week but he can see Fainu tear it up each week, just the same as we can.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8