News: All bets are off

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
BErKeLEy_eAgLe link said:
how about

Caltex Australia - questionable environmental record and guilty of cartel like price fixing that rips off consumers at the petrol pump. Add any other petrochemical company to that list
BHP Billiton - questionable environmental record and guilty of raping Australia's resources to make obscene profits. Scant regard for indigenious populations in off shore operations.
Rio Tinto - ditto
Woolworths - bully like tactics to hold sway over producers and suppliers to control pricing, then gouging consumers at the checkout
Coles Group - ditto
National Australia Bank - no one likes banks, rip off merchants.
Commonwealth Bank - ditto
ANZ Banking Group - ditto
Westpac - ditto
McDonalds - slickly marketed multinational scum with questionable product. Who eats this sh!t ?

Can't we get Greenpeace, WWF or Red Cross on board ?? Or at the very least the local sustainable felafel shop ;)

Kiwi Eagle link said:
The most interesting part of this topic for me is that the posters having a go at Lowe on every topic for not doing anything on the sponsorship front have been very quiet in this topic when some news on the subject arrived

See you're getting the hang of it quite quickly Kiwi?

clontaago link said:
[quote author=Cambo link=topic=183868.msg272022#msg272022 date=1278401401]
id like to see a bit of pink on our jersey but i doubt it will happen
Tampax?
[/quote]

The jokes that would occur for the Women in League round would be terrible though.

vidmar link said:
[quote author=Kiwi Eagle link=topic=183868.msg271973#msg271973 date=1278394853]
The most interesting part of this topic for me is that the posters having a go at Lowe on every topic for not doing anything on the sponsorship front have been very quiet in this topic when some news on the subject arrived

[/quote]

What are you expecting Vidmar, that we celebrate something we don't know may happen? Give us something to celebrate and congratulate the bloke for, and we will.....simple as that.

If runs were on the board (for people to see), he'd be getting kudos.

I am yet to see anything warranting complimentation, apart from our exposure in New Zealand, which I gave credit for, because broadening our horizon is always a great thing revenue wise....I also applaud (EVEN as a season ticket holder) a game to be played in PNG. 7 figures, is 7 figures, and I'm definitely all for that !!! Hell, make it once a year, and another example of broad thinking by Lowe. ANOTHER example of the benefit of him in the team, is obviously our media prescence this year - no issue with politics leaked, and Lowe consistently talking up spreading the news on our brand.

I'm not so short sighted to see these things. All I'm asking for is tangible actions for me to be ABLE to praise the bloke, and I'm yet (apart from talk) to see that.

Ryan link said:
[quote author=vidmar link=topic=183868.msg272018#msg272018 date=1278401132]

[/quote]

What are you expecting Vidmar, that we celebrate something we don't know may happen? Give us something to celebrate and congratulate the bloke for, and we will.....simple as that.

I am yet to see anything warranting complimentation, apart from our exposure in New Zealand, which I gave credit for, because broadening our horizon is always a great thing revenue wise....I also applaud (EVEN as a season ticket holder) a game to be played in PNG. 7 figures, is 7 figures, and I'm definitely all for that !!! Hell, make it once a year, and another example of broad thinking by Lowe. ANOTHER example of the benefit of him in the team, is obviously our media prescence this year - no issue with politics leaked, and Lowe consistently talking up spreading the news on our brand.

I'm not so short sighted to see these things. All I'm asking for is tangible actions for me to be ABLE to praise the bloke, and I'm yet (apart from talk) to see that.
[/quote]

Interesting post Ryan where you effectively ask for tangibles on the back of 3 instances that you recognise as achievements for the guy in helping bring order and unity to our executive, expansion and promotion of our brand overseas (NZ) and also investigating potential of a high dollar return for a game in PNG?

I'm not blindly praising our CEO and like you will be interested in seeing what he brings to the club during the coming months but by the same score I think it fair and respectful to give him a chance and support him where I can rather than to continually look for fault and take any and every opportunity to be critical of him and his efforts.

clontaago link said:

Tampax?
[/quote]
no i was talking about one of australias largest pizza chains
im allowed to dream

Flip link said:
Free will mate, nobodys forced to drink smoke or gamble.
  Funny that their advertising rules are different then, isn't it?

No mention from Vidmar on who bailed the Leagues club out of its problems and who welched on promises to do the same? 

vidmar link said:
[quote author=Matabele link=topic=183868.msg271799#msg271799 date=1278329772]
Fantastic.  Why not just put Winfield on the front of the jumpers and be done with it.

Deary, deary me....post us a list of sponsors that you will be happy with please and I'll see that the club gets it?
[/quote]

As we should be well in after spending a motsa going there. The PNG govt & Maori TV.

Good to get a little back from all the money spent.

vidmar link said:
[quote author=Ryan link=topic=183868.msg272129#msg272129 date=1278452889]
[quote author=vidmar link=topic=183868.msg272018#msg272018 date=1278401132]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Interesting post Ryan where you effectively ask for tangibles on the back of 3 instances that you recognise as achievements for the guy in helping bring order and unity to our executive, expansion and promotion of our brand overseas (NZ) and also investigating potential of a high dollar return for a game in PNG?

I'm not blindly praising our CEO and like you will be interested in seeing what he brings to the club during the coming months but by the same score I think it fair and respectful to give him a chance and support him where I can rather than to continually look for fault and take any and every opportunity to be critical of him and his efforts.

[/quote]

There are no tangibles there sorry. What I'd like to see is some KPI's showing any benefit to the club. Increased memberships? But more to the point the only KPI that counts - money in the bank.

I will go out on a limb & say I bet my balls next season without the likes of quantum there will be a big whole in our reported figures unless the management at the club pull their fingers out.

A couple of pipeline dreams & a loss of a major sponsor do not indicate anything other than a lack of direction. Things can change but so far there has been no indication that we are not galloping down the road towards disaster.

Meanwhile the club continues to alienate current paying members.

So the only reason you can think of why Quantum could decide not to continue is 'a lack of direction'? Interesting take. As for no tangibles, where do people get the idea that the Sea Eagles should be accounting to fans or 'members'? Should be explaining the club's every move and keeping us abreast of all negotiations?

The Sea Eagles is a private company. The CEO is accountable to the board which is accountable to the owners. They want a very successful footy team in the NRL. That is the sole KPI.

As for fans or 'members' wanting to be in the know... of course we want to know what is going on but it isn't good business strategy to broadcast our every move to the world. Any fan or member who wants to know stuff could try contacting the club, or individual officials at Sea Eagles, or the football club. Even the players are regularly accessible, and in my experience are remarkably open in discussing issues. That doesn't mean things should be broadcast to the world on public forums etc.

SeaEagleRock8 link said:
So the only reason you can think of why Quantum could decide not to continue is 'a lack of direction'? Interesting take. As for no tangibles, where do people get the idea that the Sea Eagles should be accounting to fans or 'members'? Should be explaining the club's every move and keeping us abreast of all negotiations?

The Sea Eagles is a private company. The CEO is accountable to the board which is accountable to the owners. They want a very successful footy team in the NRL. That is the sole KPI.

As for fans or 'members' wanting to be in the know... of course we want to know what is going on but it isn't good business strategy to broadcast our every move to the world. Any fan or member who wants to know stuff could try contacting the club, or individual officials at Sea Eagles, or the football club. Even the players are regularly accessible, and in my experience are remarkably open in discussing issues. That doesn't mean things should be broadcast to the world on public forums etc.

You know very little about business - The club is a business - a business only function is to provide continued employment for its staff & to make money for it's shareholders. This can not be achieved if it is loosing money.

It doesn't matter if it wins the comp every year but doesn't gain sponsorship & membership it will not continue to trade. The likes of our owners will not be able to fund the clubs losses indefinitely.

More to the point everyone who has paid a membership or bought a ticket to a game should be considered a share holder or a valued customer as it is their funds that allow the company to continue trading.

Without them there is nothing. As such we are all entitled to scrutinize, criticize, congratulate as we see fit.

If you want to blindly follow the party line all power to you. Me - I will comment as I see it.

Penn & Delmege have other businesses to make their profits, with the SeaEagles they are prepared to write off a certain amount because of the gratification they receive by being involved with a famous and successful footy team.

Yes NRL is a big money business these days but our owners are not in it to make their fortune nor are they in it to be associated with a mediocre team.

Your suggestion that one of a business's only functions is to provide continued employment for its staff shows that in fact it might be you who knows very little about business. Continued employment of staff is only ever a means to an end. Namely, your second point, and you are closer to being right on the second point -returns to shareholders - but in this case the desired returns are not simply dollars and cents but vicarious glory and good vibes.

Of course the Sea Eagles need to find sponsorship and make smart business decisions. If they can't do that there won't be a successful team.

Sea Eagles 'members' who are not members of the Football Club are not really members of anything, we are certainly not shareholders or part of the company. I am not defending the structure or saying management should not be criticised - far from it - I am simply pointing out the realities of the organisation.

My own view is that the organisation would be far stronger with a greater and more meaningful involvement of its fan base.

SeaEagleRock8 link said:
So the only reason you can think of why Quantum could decide not to continue is 'a lack of direction'?

I think that if you take a look at their share price you would see that it would have a lot to do as to why they aren't renewing their commitment to the club.  In comparison to where it was 12 months ago to where it is now, their worth has dropped considerably.

http://www.quantumenergy.com.au/corporate/share-price-information-29.aspx

Losses are written off against profits.  it's not so simple now that private companies own footie teams.  I'm sure that our owners accountants are well versed in the ATO rules.  Move on from your angst about membership etc.  It's a new world now with new rules. 

DSM5 link said:
I'm sure that our owners accountants are well versed in the ATO rules. 

You haven't been reading the media regarding one of our owners, and the ATO's threat of winding him up then, have you over the past 12-18 months...

Cambo link said:
[quote author=clontaago link=topic=183868.msg272023#msg272023 date=1278401531]

Tampax?
[/quote]
no i was talking about one of australias largest pizza chains
im allowed to dream
[/quote]

I think i'd rather eat my suggestion

SeaEagleRock8 link said:
Penn & Delmege have other businesses to make their profits, with the SeaEagles they are prepared to write off a certain amount because of the gratification they receive by being involved with a famous and successful footy team.

Yes NRL is a big money business these days but our owners are not in it to make their fortune nor are they in it to be associated with a mediocre team.

Your suggestion that one of a business's only functions is to provide continued employment for its staff shows that in fact it might be you who knows very little about business. Continued employment of staff is only ever a means to an end. Namely, your second point, and you are closer to being right on the second point -returns to shareholders - but in this case the desired returns are not simply dollars and cents but vicarious glory and good vibes.

Of course the Sea Eagles need to find sponsorship and make smart business decisions. If they can't do that there won't be a successful team.

Sea Eagles 'members' who are not members of the Football Club are not really members of anything, we are certainly not shareholders or part of the company. I am not defending the structure or saying management should not be criticised - far from it - I am simply pointing out the realities of the organisation.

My own view is that the organisation would be far stronger with a greater and more meaningful involvement of its fan base.

The last part of your post contradicts the first.
A strong community is imperative to the ongoing success (and survival) of the club. Without it we dont get the crowds, we dont get the sponsorships, we fail to retain and sign players, we lose games.
The owners are competitors. They got to where they are now through their desire to succeed. Its foolish to suggest they are willing to perpetually pump money into the club for no financial gain.

Its a shame that they lack the foresight to see that in order to continue this success, they need to treat their customers as valuable contributors to the club, not just annoying inconveniences. Most businesses would KILL to have the customer loyalty that this club takes for granted

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6