News: Alan Jones set for gig on NRL independent commission

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
What about John Fahey...teh current WADA guy...He would go Ok also

Grant Mayer would have gone well on The IC
like someone said earlier 1 nominated person from each club plus  a CEo (not ****ing Gallop) would be my preferred way to go

Not real sure about the 1 person from each club scenario.
Too many egos in all of them...."indepnedent" managers, experienced with boardroom level running of an organisation/commitee.

Peter Foster, Tim Johnston, Ron Medich, Mick Gatto, Eddy Groves, Alan Bond, Rodney Adler, Jodee Rich, Brad Keeling....the possibilities are endless. It's a pity that Skasey and Rivkin have shuffled off, as they would be have made worthwhile contributions

Chopper Reed, Roger Rogerson and the Skull (cant meember his name)

I wonder what Alan’s first order of business will be if he gets a gig on the NRL independent commission?

My guesses are:

1.       A one on one “motivational” chat with each and every player to be conducted in his private Southern Highlands retreat, possibly in the sauna.

2.       Mandatory nude training sessions
3.       Official Cup holder for all urine drug tests.

4.       Two tickets (one for Professor Frrrruit) to poolside recovery sessions and rub downs.

Lawrence Street as Chairman of the Board.  Move away from the crooks and the notorious.  Abandon the notion that retired football players have anything to offer, they don't.  Mundine (not the boxing mob but the political one from out Dubbo way) would be good (to tie in the race thing).  A couple of knobs from the rich end of town, Some captains of industry, Mike Baird (his son will be the next NSW state treasurer), Nick Greiner to tie up the next State government and Wendy Harmer or Sarah Murdoch or some other fem.  There you go.  Done. 

As stated previously, Jones will (or should) be procluded because of his ownership of Macquarie Radio Network shares, but can you imagine....

...just after a meeting of the IC, Terry Lamb is spotted by Geoff Gerard with his block & tackle cooling off in a bucket of ice.

Gerard asks, 'Terry what is your landing gear doing in a bucket of ice?'

Lamb replies -'Benny Elias told me that Alan likes a cold one after the meeting.'

Whomever is picked they will have their "pet side" and that can't be helped.....what can be done is pick people who are smart business people and people who are not "old school".....ie people like Ribot (for example)....the people picked SHOULD have the game running through their veins, they just shouldn't have any "baggage" from the old ARL-QRL-SUPER LEAGUE era.

John Howard would be an excellent choice, yes a mad pasionate Dragon but so what he still loves the game.

Which (despite the past) suggests that Jones would be a resonable choice for the job, so those that disagree with me will just have to disagree!!

Such is life

Terry Lamb was a grub and a cheap shot merchant, to even hear his name associated with the independent commission only serves to prove the games lack of vision.

Realistically anyone who wants the job will have a favourite team. To be totally independent that would have no interest in the game so why would we want them.

And this from the Telgraph about all the Club's chairmen wanting Jones on board.

Manly chairman Scott Penn added: "Alan has a tremendous knowledge of the game and is very passionate. He has significant political contacts."

Not sure the words Alan Jones and independent belong in the same sentence

shawn.b link said:
Realistically anyone who wants the job will have a favourite team. To be totally independent that would have no interest in the game so why would we want them.

because this is how we get more ideas, generate more interests. Maybe someone (not all the commission) with no involvemnt in the game can bring new intiatives to the table.

shawn.b link said:
Too true. I don't care what team a person follows but more about what they might offer to the Commission.

I am scared about the thought of the Parrot being involved due to his whole persona - his career in a school in which I long taught, his political speech writing for Malcolm Fraser, his Rugby coaching career, his media career etc all give me no confidence that he is the right man for the job. His credo is 'my way or the highway' and he is nastier and totally vindictive to those who don't enjoy his support as well as offering favouritism to his pets. I still can't understand how he has any credibility at all in the mainstream as (despite his charitable acts) he is a morally repugnant character in my view. He is one of those people that I believe will be ridiculed on his death when the laws of libel don't apply and the full stories of his exploits come to light in the general public.

Mark, your support for Howard onto the Commission would just invite divisiveness, rancor and bitterness into the picture.  He's yesterday's man and should stay there.  He represents one side of a political and social divide that is a long way from the working class roots of this game.  Sure the top dogs have moved onto higher salaries and rorts, but the mass of followers are the working class.  And his attitude towards Aboriginals is well known.  Players of Aboriginal descent make up a large proportion of the playing roster of any club.  The same can be said for Alan Jones.  He thrives on divisiveness and the snide remark.  What I can't understand is Penn's support for a person who is plainly ineligable to sit on the Commission.  Weird really.  And I feel sick every time I see Terry Lamb's name mentioned.     

DSM5 link said:
Mark, your support for Howard onto the Commission would just invite divisiveness, rancor and bitterness into the picture.  He's yesterday's man and should stay there.  He represents one side of a political and social divide that is a long way from the working class roots of this game.  Sure the top dogs have moved onto higher salaries and rorts, but the mass of followers are the working class.  And his attitude towards Aboriginals is well known.  Players of Aboriginal descent make up a large proportion of the playing roster of any club.  The same can be said for Alan Jones.  He thrives on divisiveness and the snide remark.  What I can't understand is Penn's support for a person who is plainly ineligable to sit on the Commission.  Weird really.  And I feel sick every time I see Terry Lamb's name mentioned.     

I thought lamd was only trying to get onto teh NSWRL board.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4