New Winger - Jason Saab

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Agree mate. Not saying Saab is the answer, but most clubs are improving roster wise. They are big, healthy, explosive. We lacked depth last year (which was shown up, which is a worry considering we played the equal least amount of players).

Add to that the following scenario:
OUTS
Elliott (primarily first grade out)
Waddell (first grade out)
AFB (Near leagues best out)
Metcalf (No difference)
Thompson (first grade out)
Hopoate (likely out, but no difference)
Danny Levi (first grade out)
Sam Smith (No difference)
Tony Williams (No difference)

INS
Andrew Davey (10 first grade game) - 29 years old in a fortnight):
+ Stats aren't great (0 linebreaks, 0 points, BUT, eye test, imo looks fantastic)
Lets call him first grade

Kieran Foran
  • Proven winner, but will he play more than a sprinkle?
  • Average of 9 games a season with Parra (one season)
  • Average of 13 games a season with the Dogs (3 seasons)
  • Average of 17 games a season with The Warriors (one season)

That's 5 consistent first graders out, I'll say 2 first graders in. This is from a position where our depth absolutely got found out already. We are going deeper into our junior talent pool, which is a serious reliance on them to step up.

My opinion, these players are currently reserve grade talent (not saying they can't improve): Morgan Harper, Tevita Funa, Cade Cust, Lachlan Croker, Ben Trbojevic, Tolutau Koula, Keith Titmuss, Morgan Boyle, Toafofua Sipley (some are here just being junior, and will exponentially improve, not bagging them).

Our recruit has been deplorable. I'm calling the worst. That doesn't mean something MIGHT happen, but the time it's taking in itself is concerning.
I honestly expect MAN to be favourites for the spoon if our current roster stays the same. I even rate some of your listed reserve graders, a bit higher than that.

To be clear I am not saying we can't finish top 4, just that we should start favourites for the spoon.

IMO the reason our current list should be viewed that way, is the number of unknowns, from the number of untested kids we have in our 30, to older back ups like Miskie and Davey who don't have that experience in NRL or bigger games to draw upon.

Then add at 9 and Croker is our only player that has started or played 9 at this level. Fan or no Fan our squad does have question marks over it.

DES sees these kids day in day out at training. He must think Titmuss, and BURBO are ready.He knows how good or bad Cust, Foran, Walkz will or won't be at 9 etc

But from an outsider looking in, it's a currently a list full of yet to be answered Questions?????????

This is it. They say they want a forward as a swap. Not sure who I'd wanna let go to get him. Maybe Boyle if we get Aloiai??? But that's about it, I like our forwards. It might come down to a financial compensation. We'd have to get him cheap if we are also paying a transfer fee.
Yes let Boyle go for sure - very very average.

I expect Hoppa senior burnt the bridge so I’ll be surprised to see him here next year. However he won’t get the bucks he wants from anybody else not yet anyway. The interest in Saab suggest to me that Hoppa is not an option.
I think hoppa will train as back up fullback like will did. The reserve grade will be back next season which will help. Hoppa will be the new elliot of our team. A full pre season working with snake and turbo will be great for him..... unless he leaves

I honestly expect MAN to be favourites for the spoon if our current roster stays the same. I even rate some of your listed reserve graders, a bit higher than that.

To be clear I am not saying we can't finish top 4, just that we should start favourites for the spoon.

We are currently 7th favourites for the title next year.

Funny how a teams own fans are often the harshest critics

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201116-221722_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201116-221722_Chrome.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 67
  • Screenshot_20201116-221742_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201116-221742_Chrome.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 67
I'm very surprised we are shorter to win the flag than the Tits who finished the season with a string of impressive wins and have made the best recruitment for 2021 . . . and they are a chance of having Scam as their hooker.
I’m not making excuses for the team, however the Titans got us with our most potent attacking weapons out injured & others out injured. It was like that most of the year. We started great yet Sipley, who was playing great before the COVID shutdown, was not to be seen after that. I also don’t think we blooded our youngsters early enough to be honest. Players were played out of position, the ones that came in late were not match fit, our one shining light was injured in his first game, Olakau’atu was constantly omitted in favour of Waddell, Gosiewski for some unknown fvcken reason, Croker was picked every week even though he had shockers, there was more to the AFB drama than we know, DCE’s lack of a regular halves partner to me was more of a problem than the 9 situation as he was forced to take full responsibility for our attack, Jake was $hit & counting his dollars, Jorge & his positional play was abhorrent & he should have been rested, no guidance from fullback during defence of our line, some strange calls which cost us wins.......the basis of the team that was battling for the top 4 in 2019 but finished 6th started 2020 & got decimated as the year went on. We still have that basis in Tom, Walker, Suli, DCE, Marty, Paseka who all on their day are fvcken great! Had we kept most of them on the field we would have played finals this year! We have now lost players...certain one released & others not re-signed. The only real loss AFB maybe but I believe Paseka will step up & Thompson to a certain extent for his mentoring of younger players & experience. I believe our current signings & possible signings outweigh our losses. Foran for all his trash will bring experience & bring out the best in DCE, will definitely help nurture Schuster, Davey will bring more impact than Waddell or Gosiewski. If we snag Aloiai & Saab, Garrick regains his 2019 form, players, remain injury free....Trbo, Walker, Suli.....I look at our roster along with possible recruits & there’s no reason we don’t feature top 4. A boost of having Fainu return early would be an added bonus. With reserve grade up & running our depth players will be better. A fit & healthy top 17 consisting of
Tom
*Saab
Walker
Suli
Garrick
Schuster
DCE
Marty
*Fainu
*Aloiai
Olakau’atu
Siro
Jake
Res: Foran, Paseka, Keppie, Davey would kick ar$e.....
Depth:
Cust, Funa, Parker, Harper, Jorge, Hoppa, Ben T, Sipley, Boyle, Gosiewski, Saddler, Titmuss, Weekes, Koula etc...
*Possible additions from above:
Saab
Aloiai
Garner
Egan
Plus any unexpected.
Call it optimistic, wishful thinking or confident but for mine 2021 will be a good year!!!!!!

Last edited:
I know he is still very young, but is it true he is in the 30? If so will Des risk Koula on the wing. He would certainly set the game alight with speed at least a match for Addo. Maybe just a little too young though at this stage probably

• 👍
Reactions: bSw
Sitting where we are right now i think we look ok as long as Aoliai is signed. With both Foran and Schuster in the squad theres no way Walker will be playing 5/8. And if Schuster plays off the bench then theres no room on the bench for Gosiewski (depending on the opposition) Obviously 9 is a worry and im not sold on who plays in 12 but if we can find adequate cover for those then i think we look pretty good.

1 Tom/Funa
2 Funa/Jorge
3 Walker/Harper
4 Suli/Parker
5 Garrick/
6 Foran/Schuster
7 DCE
8 Tapau
9 Cust/Foran (Fainu)
10 Aloiai
11 Sironen
13 Jake

14 Schuster/Gosiewski
15 Paseka
16 Keppie

Others - Olakau’atu (12?) Davey (17?)

Problem is, solid will get you 10th to 14th. Look at the elite teams, and see what we are up against. Size, speed, power & skill.

100% agree ... but ... What has Saab shown in his 5 games that would convince an entire Forum that he is that good .. that we need to give them Garrick, Boyle, Croker , Harold Holt, plus throw in cash for compensation ...

Talk about obsessed with possibility ...

If his asking price is reasonable ... and the deal is done .. I'll be happy .. but ... otherwise

100% agree ... but ... What has Saab shown in his 5 games that would convince an entire Forum that he is that good .. that we need to give them Garrick, Boyle, Croker , Harold Holt, plus throw in cash for compensation ...

If his asking price is reasonable ... and the deal is done .. I'll be happy .. but ... otherwise
I think Des understands the need for speed and ability under the high ball. This kid has an abundance of both, I've watched quite a bit of him and he is one of those kids that looks a class above in younger grades. I know he hasn't set the world on fire in 1st grade but I 100% see a gun in the making. As you say though the price has to be right! He has come out and said he doesn't care about the money and gotta give him credit he actually wants to come here. If we get him I reckon he'll become a fan favourite pretty quick especially with Foran and Schuster inside him, he would be our top try scorer next year.

I agree Woodsie, that when you see star signings elsewhere and we have 375 pages almost banking on getting Saab to be the answer to Manly's prayers in 2021...it does seem a desperate plea and a real hit and hope.
Thing is better Robbo also very accurate on his summary about Saab's (potential).
Personally the things that excite me and the reason a winger of unproven ability in the NRL, is the importance of what he brings that we have REALLY been lacking.....
  • Super speed, has both acceleration and genuine speed over 100m - we have lacked speed out wide big time in recent seasons....
  • Great in the air - this is another HUGE factor missing in recent seasons with both the inability to defend high kicks and on the flipside, a great target to aim at when on the attack to provide great airial theat....
The fact it's a position we are desperate to fill, maybe makes his importance more significant imo.

Couldn't agree more. We need quality over quantity. Players get so much hype (Hopoate for example), but the proof is in the pudding I guess.

We need some proven quality. Just seems we aren't in the market (here I was thinking players WANTED to play under Des???), but our recruitment is found wanting.

looks like that Koula is going or intended to be fast tracked into Manly "s top line up as soon as he seems ready . Probably just a learning phase this season and if Saab and Albert are not available next season , who does that leave for best wing options , Garrick and Funa ? Still would say some time to go before the main squad is settled but does not seem likely that Manly are that interested in trades in the present situation .

Couldn't agree more. We need quality over quantity. Players get so much hype (Hopoate for example), but the proof is in the pudding I guess.

We need some proven quality. Just seems we aren't in the market (here I was thinking players WANTED to play under Des???), but our recruitment is found wanting.
Every indication that young Hoppa would have made the transition [ similar to Bradman Best ] maybe a confidence and experience thing so would not be too critical of the club there . Must also be one of the worst affected clubs with key players out with injury in recent seasons ,just can not have players of the calibre of Turbo , Suli , Walker and others on the side lines for extended periods . Think that the club was on the right path trying to recruit Saab and Garner and Fainu is another category all together . Hard to get quality players when the salary cap is fairly restricted at Manly . no doubt A F B leaving has freed up some funds and just have to see what transpires in the next few weeks or so in the recruitment front ..

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4