New rules

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Hope we've tweaked our conditioning to compete with the Panthers and the teams adapting quickly. It's all about line speed, momentum, fitness and mobility.

Will be even more onesided blowouts in 2021. The only exceptions will be one team gets a 20+ lead and are then after some unexpected momentum shift, the game will be close at the end.

I'm giving the NRL three rounds to get this sorted out or I'm gone for 2021. Absolute junk group think from the NRL. More speed does not equal more competitive games or more entertainment.

Its clear the NRL wants as many tries in games as the AFL has goals. More advertisements I guess.

New rules suck. As the old saying goes if it ain’t broken don’t fix it.
It’s all a crock of ****... I’d rather the wrestle and a match ending up 12-6 over this rubbish. Tries are meant to be hard to come by, rugby league isn’t meant to be like basketball where it’s end to end with constant points scored. Vlandys has done a lot of good for the game but this is up there with the biggest balls up in league history. Last years rules were bad and then the geniuses at HQ decide to add even more to it...

The new rules can suit Manly just as much as anyone. We just need structures made for 2021.

DES never gives much away in trials so it could be a bit early to judge yet.

Roosters were very impressive against the Raiders. I thought they might struggle in the halves. They play the new rules so well. Lamb is a gun kid is going to have a huge year. No way MAN can win this game. Just impossible.

And that's the way we like it.

New rules suck. As the old saying goes if it ain’t broken don’t fix it.
It’s all a crock of ****... I’d rather the wrestle and a match ending up 12-6 over this rubbish. Tries are meant to be hard to come by, rugby league isn’t meant to be like basketball where it’s end to end with constant points scored. Vlandys has done a lot of good for the game but this is up there with the biggest balls up in league history. Last years rules were bad and then the geniuses at HQ decide to add even more to it...
V’Landys likes speed, hence his position in the horse racing industry lololol. Then you have the likes of Wayne Pearce on the Commission who can’t string a sentence together yet is involved in making these decisions. The game has become predictable & boring.....all I do when watching is look for the next set restart & most times I can’t make sense of why most restarts are given. I would only blow a restart when the opposition is inside the 10 meters & penalise for all other indiscretions maybe?????

I agree the new rules are laughable. Should get rid of them but stick to one ref. No accountability at all the ref can give a repeat set at his discretion and no one can question it because it happens so fast
Yep exactly! That’s the problem with it, 6 again whenever they like and no explanation or accountability just play on!

it’s not rugby league anymore

That was an interesting and well written and thought provoking read @Budgewoi Eagle .
‘What concerned me was the 6 comments at the end of the article. If that’s the mindset of other fans, footy won’t be around much longer.

These new rules are stupid, how many parra souths and roosters games did we see where the other team have no ball for the 1st ten minutes? How many times did that happen to us? Just watching one team defending for ten minutes isn't good football. All because of these set restarts! All because the ref has zero accountability and can control the game even more than before. 1 ref sack the 6 again and return the universe back to its proper order

Player feedback should ring alarms for NRL about new rules​

Phil Lutton

Phil Lutton

Sports reporter
March 1, 2021 — 3.30pm

Players reporting they could barely breathe during a trial that had the intensity of a finals match shouldn’t be seen by NRL powerbrokers as vindication for their vision for the game. To clarify, this was due to new rule changes, not sides having failed to train the house down in what was no doubt their best pre-season ever.
On the face of things, the NRL has already achieved some of its aims to make the game even quicker than it was last season, when the six-again rule for ruck infringements turbo-charged game play. Not content with what it had seen in a compressed season, the option has now been introduced for violations of the 10m offside line at the play-the-ball.
scrums have been dispensed with for when a the ball is carried or kicked into touch as well, with teams now using a play-the-ball restart. That has already caused concern that it disadvantages the attacking team in certain scenarios, which it does, and must surely be tweaked to give the side with the ball the either/or option once the season begins.
The result in the Panthers-Eels trial, one of a full set across the weekend, meant the ball was in play for 32 minutes in the first half, up almost five minutes from the average half of football during last year’s NRL season. But at what price? The game now covets fatigue as a telling factor, which it should to a degree, but the feedback from players must be of concern, not only to the quality of football we will see in 2021 but their safety and durability.

One Eels player told the Herald: “F--- these new rules. I couldn’t breathe.”
Fatigue cuts both ways; not only were defensive players left searching for their lungs, attacking players lost the zip in their legs to surge through gaps. The code is dancing the finest of lines between craving speed and careening over the edge.
There were other issues that crept up in the trials. In one of the matches, one team was rewarded with a flurry of six-again restarts as they attacked the rival line, only for the ball to go to ground on the very first run of the third or fourth reset of the count.
The result? A handover to the defensive side, which you could argue earned the ball through stubborn defence. Yet at what point does an attacking side get rewarded with the chance to accumulate points through what would have been a penalty right in front of the posts? As unfashionable as penalty goals are, the aim of the game is still to finish the match with more points than the other side, not more sets of six.

Referees have the discretion to blow their whistle but it’s clear they are under pressure to make sure the game speeds along at a breakneck pace. Perhaps there is a middle ground, where after a run of six-again resets the attacking captain is given the option for a penalty, not another play-the-ball.
Given the maddening speed now involved in the game, you’d think that would often come as welcome relief, to not only tick over the scoreboard but enjoy a mental and physical refresh. Lord knows, after watching almost all of the trials on the weekend, viewers might crave the same thing.
If penalties are largely off the table, expect the best defensive sides to happily infringe time and again on their line, in full confidence they can withstand the attack of the lesser sides and likely force an error. Coaching staff will be madly calculating ruck times and risk/reward strategies to find the best way to squeeze every advantage from the changes.
Broadcasters and advertisers may want the ball in play as long as possible but when you have players saying a trial game felt as fast as a final, that could lead to injury carnage, physical and mental burn-out and a result that is precisely the opposite to the intended purpose.
Surely viewers and fans can live with a few more breaks in play if the stars stay on the field longer and perform at their prime, not spend the match searching for the next available ventilator.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6