New rules

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
NRL today announced new rule for 2023.

If a drop out (from goal line or 20m restart) or kick off goes out on the full, or fails to go 10m, it is no longer a penalty. Play re-starts with a play the ball somewhere that Pythagoras needs to explain.

I reckon its all just a smother to get rid of teams deliberately kicking drop outs into touch to give away the 2 points.

Wouldn’t have anything to do with “deliberately kicking drop outs into touch to give away the 2 points” because firstly,that doesn’t occur when it’s a kick off and secondly,it’s optional whether a team takes the two or not.I have no idea why the NRL felt the need to change the rule that’s been around for as long as I can remember,but I suspect it has to do with them wanting more teams to try the short kick off/drop out more often,to create more contests for the ball.Once again the NRL changing things that don’t need fixing,unlike the ridiculous 7 tackle rule

We were very slow on the uptake of the short kick off

we stabbed a few into touch but were way down on attempts compared to most i saw.

we are not a good possession team so we need to brush up on ways to get more ball

Abdo and Annusley prove they are useless yet again. What a w@nk of a rule change.

We were very slow on the uptake of the short kick off

we stabbed a few into touch but were way down on attempts compared to most i saw.

we are not a good possession team so we need to brush up on ways to get more ball
Not sure being fast on the uptake of the short kick off,was that big a deal anyway.Penrith have never been big proponents of it and look how well the Broncos went with it in the GF

Great change. Putting a kickoff dead is basically a 70m penalty, needed to be reduced. Don't think the short dropouts will change much. How many teams don't go short because they are worried about giving away a penalty? Might change the strategy a bit, DCE can be a bit bolder when he is aiming for the touch line but it won't change when/how often he goes for touch.

Great change. Putting a kickoff dead is basically a 70m penalty, needed to be reduced. Don't think the short dropouts will change much. How many teams don't go short because they are worried about giving away a penalty? Might change the strategy a bit, DCE can be a bit bolder when he is aiming for the touch line but it won't change when/how often he goes for touch.
The penalty was always disproportionate to the infraction. I’ve wanted this rule change for a long time (in fact suggested it to a mate who worked at the NRL almost 10 years ago!)

from nrl.coN

Contested Restarts​

If a team kicks the ball out on the full over the touch line, or the ball fails to travel at least 10 metres forward in an attempt to contest a restart from the goal-line, 20m line, or half-way line, play will now restart with a play-the-ball 10 metres out from the line of the kick and 10 metres in from touch, rather than with a penalty kick. The change will give more incentive for teams to attempt short kick-offs or drop-outs.

JFC - also...I'm just the messenger, go dislike yer butt! smh

I’m not a fan of this. It’s been bugging me in recent seasons that there are so many short dropouts.

For example, your team has done the hard work to get a set restart and then the other team gets it straight back. It takes away all the build up and drama of multiple sets on a line, one of my favourite parts of the game.

Not to mention the front rowers coming off the back fence from a long dropout is one of the most entertaining things we see! That will essentially be non existent now with so many short dropouts.

I’m not a fan of this. It’s been bugging me in recent seasons that there are so many short dropouts.

For example, your team has done the hard work to get a set restart and then the other team gets it straight back. It takes away all the build up and drama of multiple sets on a line, one of my favourite parts of the game.

Not to mention the front rowers coming off the back fence from a long dropout is one of the most entertaining things we see! That will essentially be non existent now with so many short dropouts.

I think I know what you mean, but the team 'dropping out' only gets the ball back if the ball stays in and goes 10 metres.

If it doesn't, then the team forcing the drop out gets the ball back but they can't go for the simple two points. - wouldn't this mean you're getting more of that drama of multiple sets you like?

from nrl.coN

Contested Restarts​

If a team kicks the ball out on the full over the touch line, or the ball fails to travel at least 10 metres forward in an attempt to contest a restart from the goal-line, 20m line, or half-way line, play will now restart with a play-the-ball 10 metres out from the line of the kick and 10 metres in from touch, rather than with a penalty kick. The change will give more incentive for teams to attempt short kick-offs or drop-outs.
Shocking rule change imo. This all but eliminates the traditional long drop out as there is now almost no reason why a defending team shouldn't take the short drop out. This will become league's version of union's line out. I always thought it was a little ridiculous that the team guilty of poor play got a 50/50 chance to be given more possession

I think I know what you mean, but the team 'dropping out' only gets the ball back if the ball stays in and goes 10 metres.

If it doesn't, then the team forcing the drop out gets the ball back but they can't go for the simple two points. - wouldn't this mean you're getting more of that drama of multiple sets you like?
I believe it favours the team dropping out. There is no real penalty for kicking a dropout over the sideline or not making 10 metres, so they will try it more often. They also have momentum with all players running at speed to catch the ball, while the receiving team are typically standing still and jumping.

As Pete just said, I don’t know why a rule should favour the team that just made a mistake.

Shocking rule change imo. This all but eliminates the traditional long drop out as there is now almost no reason why a defending team shouldn't take the short drop out. This will become league's version of union's line out. I always thought it was a little ridiculous that the team guilty of poor play got a 50/50 chance to be given another chance
My understanding is that the defending team is not eliminated but given the opportunity to challenge and get the ball back

Shocking rule change imo. This all but eliminates the traditional long drop out as there is now almost no reason why a defending team shouldn't take the short drop out. This will become league's version of union's line out. I always thought it was a little ridiculous that the team guilty of poor play got a 50/50 chance to be given more possession

I believe it favours the team dropping out. There is no real penalty for kicking a dropout over the sideline or not making 10 metres, so they will try it more often. They also have momentum with all players running at speed to catch the ball, while the receiving team are typically standing still and jumping.

As Pete just said, I don’t know why a rule should favour the team that just made a mistake.

Fair enough.....

I must be missing something though.

Surely it's better (depending on the state of the game) to dropkick a ball up the field 50+ metres and run to meet the attackers on the 25/30 metre mark than to deliberately boot the ball out and have to repeatedly defend on your own line with the opposition charging at you from 10 metres out.

there's no guarantee that a short drop kick means the team kicking the ball will regain, but if people don't think handing the opposition a full set of six 10 metres out from your tryline is a bad thing, then I now see where we diverge in thought.

Teams can currently go for the short kick now, but in 2024 if they stuff it up, instead of the opposition taking the easy 2 points, they have to re-start a new set.

Kinda like a differential penalty I guess.

This change will hurt us. We have been terrible on short restarts for well over a decade.

The reason bring DCE is terrible at executing the high short drop out. Clearly doesn’t come natural for him.
He dose chance his hand at finding the side line on the bounce though where he has had more success.
We really have been left behind in this regard and surprising considering we have Saab and Hmole out wide.

It is also easier to defend a set of 6 when the set starts 10m out apposed to rolling into the line from 30m out.
Don’t like this new rule at all. It’s going to stifle attacking sets

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8