New recruit Jack Littlejohn kicks on at Sea Eagles

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

HappilyManly

Journey Man
146136_d6b937d8_d009_11e3_af9c_da08bd1f6d30.jpg

by JON GEDDES MANLY DAILY APRIL 30, 2014
TWELVE months ago Jack Littlejohn was running around as fullback with the Randwick second grade rugby team facing an uncertain football future.

Read More

TWELVE months ago Jack Littlejohn was running around as fullback with the Randwick second grade rugby team facing an uncertain football future.

Last Sunday he made an eye-catching NR
littlejohn.jpg
L debut for the Sea Eagles in their 54-18 thrashing of Canberra at Brookvale Oval.

The dominant performance of Daly Cherry-Evans overshadowed the great first-up effort by Littlejohn, who was thrown into the hot seat to replace the injured Kieran Foran at five-eighth.

His game was highlighted by a 40-20 kick in the first half and in the ensuing set of six tackles he put Anthony Watmough over for a try.

"I felt really good after the game but I was pretty nervous beforehand though," Littlejohn said.

"The boys made it pretty easy when they were scoring back to back tries."

Littlejohn is yet another E player who was battling away before finding a new lease of life with the Sea Eagles.
He grew up in Wagga and played for the Roosters until 2012 in the SG Ball and Under 20 sides and with their feeder club Newtown.

"In 2013 I spent half a season playing rugby with Randwick," he said.

"I had been playing league my whole life and thought I would have a go at it and see if I liked it."

He decided rugby wasn't his go and spent the second half of last season playing in the NSW Cup with the Bulldogs before signing a two-year deal with Manly

The 22-year-old said it was the best thing he has done.

"You feel yourself getting 100 per cent better just at pre-season training," he said.

The chance to train with the top squad while Cherry-Evans and Foran were away at the World Cup gave him a confidence he had not have previously.

"And to finally play in the NRL was a dream come true really," Littlejohn said.

Coach Geoff Toovey was happy with the display of his debutant.

"He played his part in a couple of nice tries and I think he can be very pleased with his game," Toovey said.

"It was a great way to make his NRL debut for Manly with such a convincing win.

JON GEDDES MANLY DAILY APRIL 30, 2014

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/northern-beaches/new-recruit-jack-littlejohn-kicks-on-at-sea-eagles/story-fngr8iii-1226901146221

A friend of Jacks family told me back in Feb/March Jack was really happy at Manly from day one.

He felt as though he was part of the team and was made welcome by all from the day he set foot on the training park.

I guess we are seeing the rewards of the culture that exists at our great club yet again.

Another little victory for talent and perseverance too.

And even with a playing group peppered with internationals and veteran elites, they welcome these young guys like Jack, and guide them into the spotlight.

It just keeps happening too often to keep being a fluke. Guys that just don't quite cut it elsewhere blossom at Manly.

Really looking forward to seeing how Jack progresses in the next month, and down the line.

I really was impressed with his game and i was very excited about his debut before the game so I'm glad he played well. You would think the Melbourne game will be a bigger test for him so we'll see how he goes there.

Impressive debut by Jack. He played as though he was a regular in the team and fitted in very well. Hopefully he kicks on and continues in this vain with the more opportunities he gets to play in first grade.

The first time I saw him on Sunday I thought he looked like he belonged. Don't know what it is or how you can define it but he just has the look of a first grade Manly Sea Eagle player. Hopefully it will be a long and successful partnership.

Can we sticky this thread so if and when he performs again and again we do not get the whole "how long is he signed for" "better secure him" etc

Congratulations to the young man. We saw him play in February in Auckland with our 9's squad and I thought he was pretty impressive. We saw him play a couple of weeks back for our reserves at Bear Park and he was close to MOM. He was out in the open a few times and kept his cool every time. Last week against the Raiders in his debut NRL game, again I thought he stood up and stood out. Gutsy game with all those established stars around you. Great buy for the club at 22 and I wish him many happy years ahead as an Eagle. Look forward to watching him play.

What impressed me the most is he didn't push that pass or force anything, he let the play come naturally to him, he wasn't afraid to take the ball up or have a kick, he defended well and gave it his all. A lot of halves doubt their ability in first grade and on debut, and if they miss a best they're most likely done. Big john was poised and precise ! What we sore from him was patience, and that's an absolute god send with the ayers that he has around him !

What I thought was his best play was the inside ball to watmough for the try ! Great vision !!

If this kid is retained and continues to develop in the manner suggested by his first game in first grade, Manly's problem regarding Glenn Stewart leaving may have been solved.

Its already been suggested but I just want supporters to think it through. Littlejohn (6), Cherry-Evans (7), Foran (8). There's a good reason for that suggestion.

Foran is a good defender, is tough as nails and doesnt mind attacking the line. But he is like G.Stewart, an excellent ball player and with more freedom to roam, he could be devastating setting up the backline and others in the middle.

Its probably far too early to suggest its the best way to go, but if they develop as they seem to be, it could be one seriously effective inside 3. And thing is if a backline player is injured during a game, Foran can easily fill in out wide.

It's not an outrageous suggestion @Bearfax but you've hopefully got Buhrer there too, to cover the loss of Gifty.

Jack also sent a classy inside ball to put Cherry through before Snake's try too. Just another heads-up play from a young man on debut.

I'd love it if he was at Manly for a decade now.

Bearfax said:
Its already been suggested but I just want supporters to think it through. Littlejohn (6), Cherry-Evans (7), Foran (8). There's a good reason for that suggestion.

You're expecting Foz to play prop at #8?
He'll have to pack on more kilos to be a ball playing prop like Artie.

-

Ramrod said:
Bearfax said:

-

He wouldnt have to add any weight to play lock. He's only a few kilos lighter than Buhrer. Locks dont need to be heavy like second rowers and front rowers. In fact sometimes its a disadvantage. He's 89Kgs, Buhrer is 93

Bearfax said:
Ramrod said:
Bearfax said:

-

He wouldnt have to add any weight to play lock. He's only a few kilos lighter than Buhrer. Locks dont need to be heavy like second rowers and front rowers. In fact sometimes its a disadvantage. He's 89Kgs, Buhrer is 93

LOL. You must be old like me.
Locks have been #13 for more than a couple of decades.
We haven't seen #8 on a Lock's guernsey since Fatty's days.

-

Ramrod said:
Bearfax said:
Ramrod said:
Bearfax said:

-

LOL. You must be old like me.
Locks have been #13 for more than a couple of decades.
We haven't seen #8 on a Lock's guernsey since Fatty's days.

-

Oops. You got me. Yep I'm 63. Started watching League back in 1966 when The Yakich brothers were on the wing, Frankie 'Crankie' Stanton was captain, 'Pogo' Morgan, Freddie Jones, Bob Batty, Bill Hamilton, Alec Tenant and Billy Bradstreet wore the Manly colours. And there was a young 17 year old kid from Wollongong just starting who they said had some talent called Bobbie Fulton. They were great years back then leading up to Manly's first premiership in '72

Same year as me .. yes I was laughing at the Foran #8 ... nope do not mess with the current set up .. let other slot around them

You're probably right but if this Littlejohn develops, especially with that kicking game of his and his good service to the backline, it may later on be worth consideration. He reminds me a little of Ian Martin, though with an impressive kicking game to boot (ooops). Lock and five eighth often interchange these days, just like the halves and hookers, and their roles at times intersect.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6