• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I booed Adam Goodes from my loungeroom ... not for being indigenous, and not for challenging things ... but for continuing to abuse a girl after be realised she was only 13 years old .... it was a dog act and he had ample opportunity to pull back and be the better person ... to forgive and educate ... to show her how wrong and stupid her actions were ...... he did neither .... he failed miserably ...... and I didn't know the goose even had a war dance ...

Another if you didn't agree with Goodes you are a racist chestnuts ......
I'm calling bull**** here @Woodsie
Please point me to evidence that this is what Goodes did rather than what you wanted him to do (he pretty much said the same things as you in the press conference which was called immediately after the event). And I mean evidence....not Andrew Bolt's opinion!

Please point me to evidence that this is what Goodes did rather than what you wanted him to do (he pretty much said the same things as you in the press conference which was called immediately after the event). And I mean evidence....not Andrew Bolt's opinion!

You make many assumptions .... one that I know what Bolt's opinion is ... I don't .... but I am guessing that just because it is Bolt's opinion and doesn't agree with yours it is therefore wrong ???

Define evidence .... I watched the footage at the time and came to my conclusion ..... you are welcome to yours ...

@MuzztheEagle .... just as a coincidence I watched the movie 42 last night ... the story of Jackie Robinson and the racial intergation of American sports .....

Now those people really did have a fight against social and institutional racism ....

You said he continued to abuse the girl....he never abused her. There is zero evidence to support that opinion. He pointed her out to security. He also added that he didn't know that she was a child when he first called it out and was shocked when he realised. He wouldn't have known what her actual age was until the following day. You've made assumptions about what happened and then formed an opinion based on what others around you thought.
In the spirit of this thread, that is hypocrisy plain and simple

@MuzztheEagle .... just as a coincidence I watched the movie 42 last night ... the story of Jackie Robinson and the racial intergation of American sports .....

Now those people really did have a fight against social and institutional racism ....
So these people should be applauded while fighting small level racism should be met with hostility?
I go to quite a few AFL games and there are certain sections that we won't sit in as the sorts of language and respect for others is disgusting. I'm sure you will argue that it's just part of our culture and having a dig at each other. But the reality is that it is clearly directly (very unevenly) at certain players. What should I tell my 10 year old (ingenious) niece and nephew or my own children when the person behind continues to tell out things like "flatten the little black C*$+" ? (I have never once heard anyone use the same language about a "little white C&$#"

You've made assumptions about what happened and then formed an opinion based on what others around you thought.

Seriously .... you are starting to lose the plot .... so if an opinion differs from yours ... it is because that person must be incapable of formulating there own view ... it must have been imposed by evil "others" ....

OKay ... you got me ... I am part of a worldwide opinion conspiracy .... I get my opinions delivered by email on a daily basis from sources I am not at liberty to divulge .... and who Doctors don't want you to know exist ........

So these people should be applauded while fighting small level racism should be met with hostility?
I go to quite a few AFL games and there are certain sections that we won't sit in as the sorts of language and respect for others is disgusting. I'm sure you will argue that it's just part of our culture and having a dig at each other. But the reality is that it is clearly directly (very unevenly) at certain players. What should I tell my 10 year old (ingenious) niece and aaasnephew or my own children when the person behind continues to tell out things like "flatten the little black C*$+" ? (I have never once heard anyone use the same language about a "little white C&$#"

You brought up the comparison ... not me .... and again ... I am not a spokesperson, expert or apologist for racism ....

I am sure you have the necessary wisdom and experience to advice and educate your family without my poor assistance .... I am also certain that it will be well balanced and positive ....

... and please ... don't tell me what I will argue and what I wont .... I am more than capable of expressing myself .....

Seriously .... you are starting to lose the plot .... so if an opinion differs from yours ... it is because that person must be incapable of formulating there own view ... it must have been imposed by evil "others" ....

OKay ... you got me ... I am part of a worldwide opinion conspiracy .... I get my opinions delivered by email on a daily basis from sources I am not at liberty to divulge .... and who Doctors don't want you to know exist ........
No mate, It's the same as the religious debate. I don't care about your opinion but the reasoning that led you to it. You've made a claim that you said brought you to that opinion and I call bull**** on it.

No mate, It's the same as the religious debate. I don't care about your opinion but the reasoning that led you to it. You've made a claim that you said brought you to that opinion and I call bull**** on it.

As you are entitled to ... then you went off on a weird irrational leap of fantasy suggesting my opinions were somehow borrowed from others and that I would argue a crowd of AFL red necks were just good old boys having fun ....

Both riduculous and lowering your argument to playground level ....

As you are entitled to ... then you went off on a weird irrational leap of fantasy suggesting my opinions were somehow borrowed from others and that I would argue a crowd of AFL red necks were just good old boys having fun ....

Both riduculous and lowering your argument to playground level ....
You brought up the movie 42, I assume to highlight what "real" racism is and the "correct" way to fix it. This is where my rant came from. Happy to put this aside but back to the original point. You are claiming that your opinion was formed by an event that I don't believe happened. Please enlighten me!

You brought up the movie 42, I assume to highlight what "real" racism is and the "correct" way to fix it. This is where my rant came from. Happy to put this aside but back to the original point. You are claiming that your opinion was formed by an event that I don't believe happened. Please enlighten me!

No ... just like the punch line to that old joke ....you aren't really here for the hunting are you boy ....

I will fight no more .. forever ..

No ... just like the punch line to that old joke ....you aren't really here for the hunting are you boy ....

I will fight no more .. forever ..
So you admit that your opinion is based on bull****? Not religious level bull**** but bull**** all the same!

One thing I notice about overplaying an issue, is that those doing it become a target, thereby reinforcing their belief of discrimination. I've always found the best way to play down an issue is to either ignore it, or make a joke of it. For example I have tended to put extra pounds on in later life that is a constant battle. Someone says I'm 'fat' I reply, yeh but I've been on a diet for the past 10 years. Defusing an issue defeats an area of perceived difference or weakness. They laugh and more often than not its no longer an issue. My foster sister is a woman of part Indigenous background. Its never been an issue and she never raises the subject unless asked. She has never had problems about being part Indigenous. She's just one of our family and one of her community. Her genetic background is irrelevant, because its not made into an issue.

A bit like Avengers, End Game. Forget the history, culture, hard work of players/heroes past, pander to the masses, and you'll get the green light @:rolleyes:.

We have become so politically correct, and have a need to be accepted and celebrated at every turn, we have forgotten the soul of the game & life.

The game is supposed to be a tribal, cultural, demographically based game, where players go to war, for their own.

One thing I guess, is the marketers certainly have people talking about the ad.

So it is safe to assume he was always treated the same since he started?

Obviously you don't watch much AFL. It was late in his career that he constantly staged for free kicks and whinged at every call against him. He was a sook personified. It's got nothing to do with race. Believe what you will. Goodes was the Reynolds and the Sowards of the afl , an A grade Muppet.

Obviously you don't watch much AFL. It was late in his career that he constantly staged for free kicks and whinged at every call against him. He was a sook personified. It's got nothing to do with race. Believe what you will. Goodes was the Reynolds and the Sowards of the afl , an A grade Muppet.
Why even bother defending the Goodes booing, it's done and dusted?
It was only mentioned by Sea Eagle player Joel Thompson in context of his concern that Latrell Michell is being set up for a similar hate campaign.

Muzz called Woodsie out on his stated 'reason' for booing, alleged bullying of a girl, it didn't happen and Woodsie has wisely left the building. Your 'reason' is just as lame! As for those NRL blokes, yes Reynolds is known by fans as a grub (its actually his nickname) and Soward copped ridicule (especially for being trampled famously by GI) but neither of them ever copped a sustained booing campaign. Also, they're good players but nowhere near the standing in their game that Goodes was in AFL, namely:
This article below debunks some common Goodes booing myths:

It's one of the most shameful chapters in Australian sporting history.
And tonight, the whole of Australia can relive it when Network 10 screens 'The Final Quarter' -- the documentary which chronicles the booing of champion AFL footballer Adam Goodes from 2013 to 2015, his final years in the game.

The AFL has since formally apologised for its failure to step in and take meaningful action on the booing -- an apology which its general manager of inclusion and social policy, Tanya Hosch, admits was four years overdue.

"Clearly the industry response from the clubs and the AFL, in particular, had been woefully inadequate," Hosch told 10 daily.

"This movie became a document with undeniable evidence of what went on."

So what did that evidence reveal? Why did people boo?

The Final Quarter' makes it clear that the majority of booing was racially motivated.

However, most booers always denied that, and still do. These are the three main falsehoods they believed in order to justify why they booed.

1. He 'staged' for free kicks.
Here’s a stat to put that into perspective. In 2015 when the booing peaked, Goodes finished equal 195th among all AFL players on the list of free kicks earned.

Over the course of the season, he earned just 14 free kicks. The leaders were awarded 64.

So if he was staging for free kicks, then it was the first thing in his glittering, dual Brownlow Medal, dual Premiership-winning career that Adam Goodes did really badly!

And at least 194 other players should have been booed much more than him.

2. He picked on a girl

Against Collingwood in 2013, Goodes famously pointed towards a crowd member who called him an ape. This is the moment that started the booing.

There were tens of thousands of people in that MCG crowd that day. Goodes pointed to the area from which the insult had emanated, and the person who slurred him turned out to be a 13 year-old-girl.

People claimed Goodes bullied her.

No.

Watch the doco tonight. It features large chunks of the Goodes press conference the following day. In it, he expresses sympathy for the girl on no fewer than 28 occasions. Yes, 28.

If he was a bully, then he was even worse at that than he was at staging for free kicks.

Some of the things Goodes said at the press conference the morning after included:

"It’s not her fault"

and;

"I don’t put any blame on her"

and;

"The person who needs the most support right now is the little girl"

and;

"It’s not a witch hunt. I don’t want people to go after this young girl"

and;

"I just hope that she gets some support"

and;

"People need to cut this girl some slack"

and;

"She’s a young kid. Kids are innocent and I’ve got no doubt in my mind she had no idea what she was calling me last night. We need to help educate her and educate society that things like this are hurtful."

He said a lot more besides all that too in defence of the girl. Pick on her? He did the opposite.

3. He disrespected Australia in his Australian-of-the-Year acceptance speech.

Many have claimed this. They're wrong. Watch the speech below. Goodes offered only words encouraging conciliation and love of country.

In part he said:

"I’m not here to tell you what to think, or how to act to raise your children. All I’m here to do is tell you about my experiences and hope you choose to be aware of your actions and interactions so that together we can eliminate racism.

and;

"I’m so grateful for this award and this honour, however, the real reward is when everyone is talking to their mates, to their families and their children, having those conversations and educating others about racism."

and;

"The ultimate reward is when all Australians see each other as equals and treat each other as equals. To me, everything is about people and the choices we make. I believe it’s the people and the interactions between us that makes this country so special. Thank you so much and have a great Australia Day."

These were words to bring a nation together, not tear it apart.

It's worth noting that a month after that speech, Goodes had quite a visceral reaction to a documentary about Indigenous Australians called 'Utopia', after which he penned a column, in which he said:

“Imagine watching a film that tells the truth about the terrible injustices committed over 225 years against your people, a film that reveals how Europeans, and the governments that have run our country, have raped, killed and stolen from your people for their own benefit."

People have often claimed he said those words in his Australian-of-the-Year speech. He didn't. End of story.

In fact, instead of trying to cling to justifications for what we allowed to happen to Goodes a few years ago, how about we take heed of Joel Thompson’s words, and think about whether we want a similar thing to happen to 22 year old Mitchell?
Despite some messy contract negotiations (big deal) his worst sin apparently is allowing himself to be filmed by NRL draped in the Aboriginal flag.

Well said SER8, good to read some facts and debunk the fake news - to be honest people are like sheep when discussing topics such as this and it’s very similar to the bog roll stampede - no one can explain why they need to hoard 6 months worth of rolls and get into fights and arguments over it down at Woolies.

What the add does is highlight our own unconscious bias and prejudices whether we care to admit or not.

I am no fan of Mitchell (nor his new club) but on his day he is great footballer and has a big following - he should not be hung out to dry (like Goodes) because he is proud of his heritage and his community.

PS if I was making the add would I have done the same as NRL - probably not. But not quite sure why people are so upset about a flag, same thing I think when I see people loading up their car boot with dunny Paper

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6