NEIN threatens to walk away from the NRL ..

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The NRL. They own their broadcast and sell the media.

It's what I believe supercars does and What more sports aroubd the world are starting to do

Thank you ... my uneducated initial thought is that if it works for other sports .. goodo ...

But I doubt the ability of the NRL to cost effectively provide up to 3or 4 outside broadcast crews and equipment in 3 different cities in one day ... racing for example would just have one crew at one location for several days ....

Also with fox crews and equip ... when they aren't doing league they are doing soccer, rugby, lawn bowls etc .... splitting the cost over multiple codes ..

prepared to be proven wrong ... but my "not a good plan" radar is beeping ....

Heres a conspiracy theory for you...... go with me:

Channel 7 snap up with rights
Channel 7's bid is backed by the AFL
Channel 7 completely butcher the coverage (like they did with the a league and previous NSL) and only show matches out of prime time and starve the general public of FTA games
NRL dies a quick, painful death
AFL wins

Not as far fetched as it sounds - believe me. It gives the AFL more sponsorship opportunities and effectively lets them OWN their biggest rival.

And if you think I am being dumb about this - you should try spending a bit of time consuming the melbourne media. They have done such a good hatchet job on 'soccer' purely because they could see the threat looming.

Heres a conspiracy theory for you...... go with me:

Channel 7 snap up with rights
Channel 7's bid is backed by the AFL
Channel 7 completely butcher the coverage (like they did with the a league and previous NSL) and only show matches out of prime time and starve the general public of FTA games
NRL dies a quick, painful death
AFL wins

Not as far fetched as it sounds - believe me. It gives the AFL more sponsorship opportunities and effectively lets them OWN their biggest rival.
Nice use of the tinfoil, but the problem is the AFL just doesn't rate very well for Seven in NSW and Queensland - and that's despite all the AFL's efforts to make it so. Rugby league, on the other hand, is pretty much a surefire ratings win (in NSW and Queensland) at a time when all the free-to-air networks are struggling to get people to watch anything. If Seven did get rights to show NRL matches, it wouldn't be to "butcher" the game. As I said, NRL games are a strong product in two key markets. The A-League and the NSL are not/were not strong products in any market.
Also, if the NRL are smart about it (and there's certainly no guarantee of that), they'd split the coverage between at least two free-to-air networks. That way no single entity "owns" anything.

Thank you ... my uneducated initial thought is that if it works for other sports .. goodo ...

But I doubt the ability of the NRL to cost effectively provide up to 3or 4 outside broadcast crews and equipment in 3 different cities in one day ... racing for example would just have one crew at one location for several days ....

Also with fox crews and equip ... when they aren't doing league they are doing soccer, rugby, lawn bowls etc .... splitting the cost over multiple codes ..

prepared to be proven wrong ... but my "not a good plan" radar is beeping ....

Yeah Woodside that is fair point. I personally don't have alot of faith in the NRL to run it either.

But there are some ways around it.

NRL might have a dedicated crew that does Syd/New/Can, but outsource QLD/Mel/NZ to a camera crew.

The crew can also be used to film extra content like analysis shows, news, training etc..

Or something like that.

Either way the main thing is the NRL own the media content, which gives them the most control over the game and it's distribution
(I respect their needs to be some input form media purchasers). So they can sell to whoever or them selves.

Any costs for producing the media woold need to be costed and assessed like any other business process.

Seven is Broke so forget a deal there feathered friends.

On another note of these nine talks apparently the agreement is to play out of suburban grounds as 50000 empty seats is not a good look according to the puppet masters. they like a green hill better than the blue seats.

Brookie may be getting a lot of extra exposure very soon.

I can to some extent understand Nein being disgruntled. They pay big bucks for a sport that they telecast to attract viewers and achieve high ratings. They would expect that the NRL will protect their investment in the manner that it manages the game's long term future which includes its financial affairs. One of the complaints raised by the NRL was that Nein didn't raise these issues during private discussions. That suggests that the NRL don't like being challenged. Challenge them and you are labelled as too aggressive like DCE. Why the heck should the NRL be a protected species. If it is the case that the game has been placed in a precarious financial position because of financial mismanagement then broadcasters and supporters of this game should ask for heads to roll. Unsurprising the broadcasters want a say in what transpires from here on, particularly in light of the changed landscape (Covit-19). To exclude them from this planning process is just plain arrogance if true.
Totally agree. The NRL has been a ticking time bomb for a while now and has been clinging to life support. This code's own destruction goes beyond business dealings and falls straight into the politics category. It seems to me that the media are the NRL because they seem to be running it.We have ex footy players going into journalism. We have total wally's in every representation of the game on Nein.This is much bigger than Greenturd. Now if that alone don't help destroy the game i don't know what will.The whole code is a mess and the NRL have been a protected species because of politics and shanky business dealings.Nothing seems good enough for the NRL right through the judiciary system to big match Pre entertainment.This code can not even stick to its very own rules.OH and then money handling starts to speak which we all know the NRL would know bugger all about. Their very own communication is a shambles,they cant even communicate with one another with out something going wrong.Put it this way, how many people here now would not have anything to do with this code if Manly was not a part of it.I for one would be one of them. Now ask yourselves why.

The funny thing about 9 is that they are so desperate to get out of the NRL deal - Hmm, maybe they too have had a bloated head office and have blown all the countless advertising millions they got from broadcasting NRL games over recent years!
That would not surprise me at all.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4