NEIN threatens to walk away from the NRL ..

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
That whole free to air TV model is under immense pressure.
I haven't seen or watched FTA since foxtel came around 20yrs ago
My kids 10&17 don't watch any FTA it's all utube and streaming Netflix /foxtel.
I know I may not be typical but there is a lot less eyes on FTA and they have themselves to blame, to many adds, and programmes running "overtime" and the total disrespect of and disregard for the viewer. Their arrogant attitude to Sydney by jamming Brisbane down our throats every Friday night is a case in point and one reason I would be happy to do a two for one wave good by to Nein and especially to that moronic beady eyed bald headed ****. What a strange world we live in, when someone can eat a bat and it results in horrendous tragedy (death) and yet still let's a ray of sunshine in (Greenburg exposure as a fiscal dunce and hopefully his imminent and well deserved dismissal with extreme prejudice!!!) fingers crossed.

Yep worst thing is how they control kickoff times.. especially with Origin.
I dont know any other supposed professional sporting league around the world that delays a 'scheduled' kickoff time up to half an hour, well just cause it feels like it..

The game basically already is behind a paywall, besides a broncos game on Friday and one other game on Sunday. I just hope they have an eye on the NFL model, where they manage their own digital rights and sell a top quality stream on a subscription basis. $100 a season is a steal compared to Foxtel for a season. Foxtel has started Kayo just to prevent this model from taking off in Aus, if the NRL have a clue this will only be temporary.

That's assuming that the NRL have any clue. If past history is anything to go by ... they don't.

Hell even SBS would be an improvement on Nine! Imagine not having to listen to any dribble from Johns, Lockyer & Fittler......legends & immortals my ar$e! More like the 3 Stooges! My favorite moment was watching SOO & Jamie Goddard deck that twat Johns.............

Last edited:
That whole free to air TV model is under immense pressure.
I haven't seen or watched FTA since foxtel came around 20yrs ago
My kids 10&17 don't watch any FTA it's all utube and streaming Netflix /foxtel.
I know I may not be typical but there is a lot less eyes on FTA and they have themselves to blame, to many adds, and programmes running "overtime" and the total disrespect of and disregard for the viewer. Their arrogant attitude to Sydney by jamming Brisbane down our throats every Friday night is a case in point and one reason I would be happy to do a two for one wave good by to Nein and especially to that moronic beady eyed bald headed ****. What a strange world we live in, when someone can eat a bat and it results in horrendous tragedy (death) and yet still let's a ray of sunshine in (Greenburg exposure as a fiscal dunce and hopefully his imminent and well deserved dismissal with extreme prejudice!!!) fingers crossed.

FTA has been ever since rupert entered the fold. There is legislation that makes a certain amount of sport available for free to air as a cultural requirement. Ashes, origin, footy finals, melbourne cup.

Sports and networks have bitched and moaned at certain times but the anti siphoning agreement has strong support .

The ABC should play 2 games a week of nrl and afl .

I think the fans out there would like to see improvements in the coverage. I for one tend to only watch the match and the pre and post debates are swayed with bias. Our club is not well represented in the media and there are times when you listen to commentators comment on our games and you understand that our clubs success has scarred certain ones.

What I really despise is the love in we see for the Drizzle and Donkeys especially and for a viewer from Sydney, I could not give a rats ass about those clubs. I would like to see Sydney derbies commented on by Sydney commentators.

If Manly play the Donkeys its all called from a Donkey perspective, the side line eyes are ex drongo players and if Manly happen to win its excuse after excuse as to why the ponies dont win.

If Ray Warren is commentating a game where his beloved whinging worms are playing and as per usual choke in big games, you hear his funeral voice, its laughable. At least when Rex Mossop commented on Manly games he would absolutely give it to them if they played crap and would lavish praise if we won.

Channel 7 and 10 did good jobs in the past when they had the rights and maybe its time for a change from 9!!

I think the fans out there would like to see improvements in the coverage. I for one tend to only watch the match and the pre and post debates are swayed with bias. Our club is not well represented in the media and there are times when you listen to commentators comment on our games and you understand that our clubs success has scarred certain ones.

What I really despise is the love in we see for the Drizzle and Donkeys especially and for a viewer from Sydney, I could not give a rats ass about those clubs. I would like to see Sydney derbies commented on by Sydney commentators.

If Manly play the Donkeys its all called from a Donkey perspective, the side line eyes are ex drongo players and if Manly happen to win its excuse after excuse as to why the ponies dont win.

If Ray Warren is commentating a game where his beloved whinging worms are playing and as per usual choke in big games, you hear his funeral voice, its laughable. At least when Rex Mossop commented on Manly games he would absolutely give it to them if they played crap and would lavish praise if we won.

Channel 7 and 10 did good jobs in the past when they had the rights and maybe its time for a change from 9!!

The commentary from Nein is atrocious, such biased pricks.

I have Fox and they are nearly as bad too, but there’s a few good ones.

I’d be happy to see it on another channel with new commentators.

Have not watched a pre-game or post game wrap for 2 years .... whilst I have no major problem with the staggering proliferation of female experts .... the obnoxious scurge of gushing fanboi hyberbole inall commentary to every genuine superstar is too much to endure ... and infests every broadcast ...

Some blokes are just football players ... and some are just average ... they need to learn that that is not a bad thing ....

Have not watched a pre-game or post game wrap for 2 years .... whilst I have no major problem with the staggering proliferation of female experts .... the obnoxious scurge of gushing fanboi hyberbole inall commentary to every genuine superstar is too much to endure ... and infests every broadcast ...

Some blokes are just football players ... and some are just average ... they need to learn that that is not a bad thing ....
I look forward to the day some commentator says "Well he's not all he's cracked up to be. Actually he's a bit of a wanker...."

Here comes 7, and with the nrl’s new line of credit, 9’s bargaining chip is looking a little weaker.
Interesting. I remember when CH9 had NRL & AFL, trying to keep the fans of each game happy was a real juggling act. Game times & Football shows clashed.
This was in Darwin, before TV stations had their extra channels, 9Go, 7mate, etc.

The commentary from Nein is atrocious, such biased pricks.

I have Fox and they are nearly as bad too, but there’s a few good ones.

I’d be happy to see it on another channel with new commentators.

I'd say why there is a proliferation of recent ex-players "commenting" as opposed to "commentating" on Nine and Fox might have more to do with TPA's than actual talent or desire.

How the hell Hodges etc get a gig is beyond me, it's surely a post retirement contract top up.... just like Freddy coaching the chooks.

I've got no problem with ex-players or women in the telecasts as long as they know what they are talking about and are genuinely interested in the whole of the game/sport not just their club or mates.

Interesting that CH7 has come to the table.

Although from what I am reading, it would appear they are sniffing post current deal.

That said CH9 could walk and if 7 put a decent offer they could tell 9 to go.

You would think 9 would want the NRL. 7 took the cricket and has AFL, 10 has supercars and no one wants Rugby or A league.

The tennis is a short tournament and doesnt really leave them much else.

I must say it's a little disappointing someone like Amazon has swooped.

If 9 and/or Fox walk, surely there is an opportunity for a cashed up tech giant like Google or Amazon to capitalise. The NRL need to move digital and take back control. Use this shock as a time to make a tough call.

I am a dinosaur .. that said ... if a google or amazon or whatever did get the rights to stream the footy .... who provides the camera crews etc ??

Unfortunately in recent years, Nine and Fox, and some of the radio stations that call games, have been extremely guilty of having ex-players as commentators more because of who they are rather than because they actually do a good job.

If actually being good as a television or radio commentator was a requirement to have the job, ex-players like Brad Fittler, Darren Lockyer, Johnathan Thurston, Justin Hodges, Andrew Johns, Mark Gasnier and Kevin Walters would be lining up at Centrelink.

If you hung any of them for being a good commentator ... you've hung an innocent person.

Last edited:

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6