NEIN threatens to walk away from the NRL ..

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
The drama is just getting better ...

Channel 9 has turned on the NRL in a stunning falling out over plans for the 2020 season. The broadcaster is calling for heads to roll.

d090e5da2c6353d1d2dbdd771016efb1

Todd Greenberg has some explaining to do.Source:Getty Images
Channel 9 has threatened to walk away from the NRL because of a stunning falling out over the league’s plans to push ahead with a shortened 2020 season.
A Nine News report claims the long-term rugby league broadcaster is calling for heads to roll at the top of the NRL executive.
The report has been confirmed in a scathing statement from the Nine Network which claims the NRL has “squandered” millions of dollars poured into the game by its TV rights partners.
The broadcaster is reportedly fuming over the NRL’s plans to press ahead with an improvised, 15-round season, beginning as early as May 21.
The Australian Rugby League Commission (ARLC) and chairman Peter V’landys are meeting on Thursday to rubber-stamp the brazen proposal from the Innovation Committee for the season to resume in six weeks, according to reports.
However, Channel 9 has now gone public with its fury that it hasn’t been consulted in the ongoing discussions for the game to return.
It leaves the NRL’s $1.8 billion broadcast deal hanging by a thread.
Nine reportedly wants to renegotiate the deal — which extends through to the end of the 2022 season.
It wants to renegotiate on the grounds that games played in empty stadiums during coronavirus restrictions in 2020 are not as valuable to TV networks.

The NRL has turned Channel 9 stars Paul Vautin and Peter Sterling into household names.Source:News Corp Australia
Among the dirty laundry aired by Nine is a stunning accusation that NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg has mismanaged the game — leaving the NRL with nothing to show for the record broadcast deals signed with Nine and Foxtel over the last 10 years.
Channel 9’s Danny Weidler had earlier told Sky Sports Radio Greenberg was “on the nose” with senior NRL powerbrokers and was in a fight to save his job.
The former Canterbury Bulldogs boss is off contract at the end of the 2020 season.
“They have a major problem,” Weidler reported on Nine News today.
“The Nine Network have largely been left out of planning and discussions for season 2020. The view from Channel 9 right now is that they are seething about this.
“I can tell you that their view is that the 2020 season is now gone. The NRL appear to want to launch an alternative season even though it hasn’t really been discussed with Channel 9.”
The Nine Network statement also accuses the NRL of operating with a “bloated head office” that is driving the code into the ground.
“At Nine we had hoped to work with the NRL on a solution to the issues facing rugby league in 2020, brought on so starkly by COVID-19,” the statement claimed
“But this health crisis in our community has highlighted the mismanagement of the code over many years. Nine has invested hundreds of millions in this game over decades and we now find they have profoundly wasted those funds with very little to fall back on to support the clubs, the players and supporters.
“In the past the NRL have had problems and we’ve bailed them out many times including a $50m loan to support clubs when the last contract was signed.
“It would now appear that much of that has been squandered by a bloated head office completely ignoring the needs of the clubs, players and supporters.
Channel 9 and Todd Greenberg are at war.

Channel 9 and Todd Greenberg are at war.Source:Getty Images
“We find ourselves with a contract that is unfulfilled by the code. We hoped we could talk through a long term plan.”
Weidler said Nine’s public powerplay is a clear attack on Greenberg.
“They are fighting words. They’re very strong words and they are pointed at the CEO of the game, Todd Greenberg,” he said.
“Now Greenberg has been under immense pressure for quite a while now to hold onto his job. When the broadcaster of the game issues a statement like that, I can’t see Todd Greenberg surviving that.”
Meanwhile, The Innovation Committee, overseeing the game’s Project Apollo season return plans, will present a number of proposals to the ARLC, including temporarily relocating non-Sydney teams to the harbour city.
How long the likes of Brisbane, North Queensland, Gold Coast, Melbourne and the Warriors stay in Sydney depends on interstate travel restrictions.
It is understood some teams could be housed in the Sydney Olympic Park precinct, while the Panthers Rugby League Academy is another option.

The Courier-Mail revealed the Innovation Committee will present two plans to ARLC chairman V’landys on Thursday.
One plan calls for the 16 clubs to play each other once in a 15-round season before a finals series would take place.
The other proposal would carve the 16 clubs into two conferences, however, the report claims the NRL is confident it will not have to pull the trigger on the controversial “bubble” lockdown, allowing players to isolate at home with their families.
— with AAP

Editorial .... Don't let the door hit your arrse on the way out ....
v3

Last edited:
It wants to renegotiate on the grounds that games played in empty stadiums during coronavirus restrictions in 2020 are not as valuable to TV networks.

How fukken hypocritical can these dickheads at Nein get .... been happy to support big stadii ... haven't heard them complaining about 5000 fans at homebush or heard them calling for more suburban ground games ...

This really is a chance for a total reset. For so many years Nein have infuriated fans with their bias and influence on TV scheduling and the commentary is basically a QLD love in now. Foxtel is little better and its interesting to see the spat between News Filth and Nein, reminds you of the old Super League V ARL war.

Its time to rethink the whole thing. Time to put ALL the clubs first and weed out the greedy protection racket led by Greenturd and sponsored by his few admirers who protect their own selfish vested interests.

The NRL should run the game, NOT the media!!!

Call their bluff, they won't walk as they know 7 or 10 will be happy to jump in. Nine are broke and without league will struggle even more finically without the ratings.

This is just a few executives playing my dick is bigger then your dick.
Best thing for league is both Greenturd and nine both having nothing to do with the game.

I can to some extent understand Nein being disgruntled. They pay big bucks for a sport that they telecast to attract viewers and achieve high ratings. They would expect that the NRL will protect their investment in the manner that it manages the game's long term future which includes its financial affairs. One of the complaints raised by the NRL was that Nein didn't raise these issues during private discussions. That suggests that the NRL don't like being challenged. Challenge them and you are labelled as too aggressive like DCE. Why the heck should the NRL be a protected species. If it is the case that the game has been placed in a precarious financial position because of financial mismanagement then broadcasters and supporters of this game should ask for heads to roll. Unsurprising the broadcasters want a say in what transpires from here on, particularly in light of the changed landscape (Covit-19). To exclude them from this planning process is just plain arrogance if true.

Last edited:
I can understand nein being annoyed. They have invested alot into NRL and it's been poorly managed.

I wouldn't be surprised too if this is a power play to oust the Turd.

Let's not forget that nein are also out to protect their own asses from the massive investment in NRL and with Covid they are trying to protect their bottom line so they don't have to wear as much pain.

As a supporter, it appea that the broadcasters have too much influence, and not for the better.

Time for the NRL management to take control of their broadcasting. With the move to streaming and digital delivery, now more than ever is the time.

Supercars own their broadcast and they reckon iit was one of the best decisions they've made.

Ok, so that is a verbatim channel 9 media release.

It is egregious for 9 to say that they have a contract unfulfilled, it's not like the NRL had a choice to suspend the season.

Yep call their bluff, bye bye 9.

I call BS on 9 complaining about financial mismanagement. While they might be correct, wtf does it have to do with the value of the tv rights? If the NRL had the funds to pay everyone involved through this period, they would still be reducing rounds and delaying the season. The only discount that makes any sense is on a per game basis and even that is questionable if they still get Origin and a full finals series. Most stakeholders have taken a hit and 9 wants to throw their toys out of the cot because everything isn't perfect. I'd be happy to see the back of them. Really hope another network steps in and runs the finals in direct competition with the T20 World Cup.

what alternatives do you think might be in the wings?
100% ownership/delivery by foxtel?
Another commercial network?
What about streaming services like Amazon or facebook.... would they potentially step in?

I would love to see 9 lose the rights - but the whole sport would go behind a paywall - how would people feel about that?

I couldn't care less tbh - I only tune in to watch Manly - happily pay the money for a subscription to watch that.

What about streaming services like Amazon or facebook.... would they potentially step in?

I would love to see 9 lose the rights - but the whole sport would go behind a paywall - how would people feel about that?

I couldn't care less tbh - I only tune in to watch Manly - happily pay the money for a subscription to watch that.
League was better on 7 and 10 in the 70s and 80s

The game basically already is behind a paywall, besides a broncos game on Friday and one other game on Sunday. I just hope they have an eye on the NFL model, where they manage their own digital rights and sell a top quality stream on a subscription basis. $100 a season is a steal compared to Foxtel for a season. Foxtel has started Kayo just to prevent this model from taking off in Aus, if the NRL have a clue this will only be temporary.

NIne are just posturing and positioning themselves to create a bargain. Not only a pro rata reduction for this year, ie less weeks of games but a discount going forward. Smells a lot like when Channel 10 went broke and only Channel 9 in a position to buy. The ARL paid a price back then. Packer did the same to Alan Bond when he went broke. They sold to him for a motza and bought at fire sale prices.
Don't forget Super League where we thought it was Packer v Murdoch until Packer bought in towards the end.

That whole free to air TV model is under immense pressure.
I haven't seen or watched FTA since foxtel came around 20yrs ago
My kids 10&17 don't watch any FTA it's all utube and streaming Netflix /foxtel.
I know I may not be typical but there is a lot less eyes on FTA and they have themselves to blame, to many adds, and programmes running "overtime" and the total disrespect of and disregard for the viewer. Their arrogant attitude to Sydney by jamming Brisbane down our throats every Friday night is a case in point and one reason I would be happy to do a two for one wave good by to Nein and especially to that moronic beady eyed bald headed ****. What a strange world we live in, when someone can eat a bat and it results in horrendous tragedy (death) and yet still let's a ray of sunshine in (Greenburg exposure as a fiscal dunce and hopefully his imminent and well deserved dismissal with extreme prejudice!!!) fingers crossed.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6