Nathan Brown

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I wouldn't want Cooper Cronk in any coaching capacity at this club!
Did you mean to reply to Ryan? I was talking about the Brown’s! Nathan in particular. While I’m not a fan of Gronk, we could certainly use his knowledge of the game and the value he would bring from his time at the scum and the chooks, it would be invaluable, but you needn’t worry to much about it, as I doubt either party would give the idea the time of day.
You might not like this idea much either, but if I could bring a new coach to our club, I would be going all out after Slater.

Slater and Cronk are from a very success structure and that continues to achieve consistency and good results year after year.

I recall when the club hired Joey Jones to mentor our halves. It didn't work out well. Rather than discuss the rare chance that Cronk would ever consider coaching Manly let's give our two assistant coaches -- both former Manly players -- the first opportunity.

I recall when the club hired Joey Jones to mentor our halves. It didn't work out well. Rather than discuss the rare chance that Cronk would ever consider coaching Manly let's give our two assistant coaches -- both former Manly players -- the first opportunity.

You'd have Chad Randall, or Michael Monaghan (present assistant coaches) as our head coach? Have you seen our attacking and defensive structures in the past 3-4 years with them working with Des?

You could add up and aggregate all their footballing IQ, double it, then you're somewhat getting to probably 50% of Cronk's knowledge and application of the game today.

Consistency definitely has not been a strong suit this season , injury disruptions aside , yet still clearly show at times that the side is top 8 standard in the main . Very frustrating to say the least including all of the above average dud official calls against the side . Nathan Brown the coach or Nathan Brown the player would not really help matters , just a better run with injuries and that mind set to be in games and competitive for the entirety .
Agree with you on this Manly Al ' Very frustrating to say the least including all of the above average dud official calls against the side ' and including our own brain explosions and ability to let winnable games get away from us. Its been an incredibly frustrating year.
The team have the ability to be a top 4 team but are not playing to their potential week to week.
Injuries haven't helped but I also think there's a definite lack of cohesion across the whole cub at the moment

You'd have Chad Randall, or Michael Monaghan (present assistant coaches) as our head coach? Have you seen our attacking and defensive structures in the past 3-4 years with them working with Des?

You could add up and aggregate all their footballing IQ, double it, then you're somewhat getting to probably 50% of Cronk's knowledge and application of the game today.
Yeah totally agree that Cronks football IQ is very impressive.
I understand why Manly fans hate the guy but if you look at it from a professional point of view, he could be very useful to have around. He lives in Mosman too, so not too far from Brookie (or Narabeen)

This thread is a mess hahaha

But I do find it interesting when people speak in certainties of a assistant being a potentially good or bad first grade coach.

Kearney, Barrett and O'Brien were all slam dunks but haven't translated to head coaches.

Likewise the old, x great player would make a great coach. It doesn't work that way, Bellamy, Robinson etc were so so players whilst Fittler (club level coaching) and Wally Lewis were great

Basically my rather incoherent point is nobody really knows if Ciraldo, Monaghan, Ryles, Randall or even a Cronk would fully make it as a first grade coach.

You make a good point, it seems NRL head coach is quite a unique position.

Hmm, I wonder if it's just coincidence that coaches usually said to be the best (Bennett, Bellamy and Robinson) have achieved their vast success at the best resourced clubs in the league? Yeah, probably just coincidence ;)

Did you mean to reply to Ryan? I was talking about the Brown’s! Nathan in particular. While I’m not a fan of Gronk, we could certainly use his knowledge of the game and the value he would bring from his time at the scum and the chooks, it would be invaluable, but you needn’t worry to much about it, as I doubt either party would give the idea the time of day.
You might not like this idea much either, but if I could bring a new coach to our club, I would be going all out after Slater.
I don't know I am so confused with this thread. It's like a box of chocolates, you never know what you will get. But I do know that cronk would be the turkish delight that no Manly fan would want.

Bit to early flagging these sort of individuals coming to our club, sure they are all well credentialed but the recent battles with anything purple is still raw in lot of our supporters heads,ie; battle of Brookie, the Crocker dog act on Brett in 2007 and numerous others. To soon yet...
I was there, right in front when that happened

This thread is a mess hahaha

But I do find it interesting when people speak in certainties of a assistant being a potentially good or bad first grade coach.

Kearney, Barrett and O'Brien were all slam dunks but haven't translated to head coaches.

Likewise the old, x great player would make a great coach. It doesn't work that way, Bellamy, Robinson etc were so so players whilst Fittler (club level coaching) and Wally Lewis were great

Basically my rather incoherent point is nobody really knows if Ciraldo, Monaghan, Ryles, Randall or even a Cronk would fully make it as a first grade coach.

But "modern day" footy IQ is paramount. The games constantly changing and adapting, and if your coach can't do that (or won't), or your system is behind the rest (or at best most) of the league, you'll end up challenging the other bottom feeders, and will get stomped out by the better (more up-to-date systems) types of teams....

And who does that remind you of?

We can defend and support the status quo all we like, but I'm not sure that's going to achieve what anyone wants, and that's a good footy side, because as of now....we are 10th and falling (and honestly, I don't have confidence against The Storm).

But "modern day" footy IQ is paramount. The games constantly changing and adapting, and if your coach can't do that (or won't), or your system is behind the rest (or at best most) of the league, you'll end up challenging the other bottom feeders, and will get stomped out by the better (more up-to-date systems) types of teams....

And who does that remind you of?

We can defend and support the status quo all we like, but I'm not sure that's going to achieve what anyone wants, and that's a good footy side, because as of now....we are 10th and falling (and honestly, I don't have confidence against The Storm).
I'm not defending anything, simply stating that people make comment on assistant coaches both positive and negative based on nothing more than assumptions.

Cronk would be no guarantee to be a top head coach.

Ciraldo seems rated by all, but he is also no lock, you can have all the footy IQ in the world and be brilliant with the Xs and Os but being a head coach is so much more than that.

In terms of Monaghan and Randall, who knows how much input or control they get. Very hard to rate them on no information

I've never really understood what happened then. I have alwaysbrated Joey's footy brain and I have no idea how we couldn't make it work

I think it will come down to Monaghan and Randall. Hope so.

The Hasler/Monaghan/Randall dynamics are interesting. Both played under Hasler and both were usurped/shown the door by Des, not without some angst. Monaghan seemed to go into a funk for awhile when it became clear Orford was joining Manly.

As for Randall, I don’t think his dad was too happy when Des decided Chad was surplus to requirements.

Looks like those fences have long since been mended.
I don't recall how he went with Warrington after leaving Manly but, I recall bumping into Monas a lot back when I was 18 and the Surf Rock had just been refurbished. I asked him if having Orford joining Manly the following year meant he would try to get a crack at 5/8th. He responded with bending down and sailing an imaginary pass away from hooker and said something like "nah I really wanna play rake!"
Hw seemed happy to try the new position and in my memory he did well. We bumped in to each other a lot back then and he was a sentimental favorite. Froggy reminds me of him in little ways.
Both were Canberra halves turned into tough hookers at Manly. I can see Froggy turning into a coach too once he retires

Cronk or Thurston as our halves coach is about the only way I can see Daley improving his game management.

This would benefit the younger players but i think for DCE, at 33, Club, QLD captain i think it would be a case of being too late?

By now with his experience and standing he would be the mentor.

Yeah, I know they meant Brown the player. I think we have the roster - what I don't think we have is the 2022 game standards and coaching.
Yeah, I knew you knew who he was talking about : ) I was 99% sure you were being sarcastic or facetious but, it was late here in Spain and you also raised an interesting point about coaches that I've been thinking of this season.
I would love to know the succession plan. Some new blood for old cows blood!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4