mwse shutdown??

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
vidmar link said:
People become members so that their dollars contribute to putting a team on the paddock and have the infrastructure to support that.

Being able to post on the forum is just an additional benefit of membership (as is cheap travel to away games, discounted merchandise, MWTV viewing, member insider emails, free functions and a range of other value adds)

Thats just plain BS

Most people who buy memberships do it out of some feeling of obligation, a lot of people buy them specifically for the posting rights on the forum.

And for whatever reason, it is offered as a feature of the packages, and taking it offline is akin to removing someones ticket that comes with their membership

Who has become a member, just to use the forum ???

Not trying to be an arsehole, just genuinely interested if anybody has or not

Kiwi Eagle link said:

ke you dont have to try to be an arsehole, it comes naturally bro :p hahahaha (jokes)

Kiwi Eagle link said:

none here, since they use this forum, but for many of which this site is not an option in their way of thinking

I am a member over at MWSE, also a Football Club member AND I post here occasionally.

Would I "pay to post on a forum" no way, if Dan were to introduce a fee to post I'd say "thanks for the memories".

But my decision to be a member over at MWSE is more about feeling like I am "doing something for the financial well good of the team I love".

All the stuff I get (or don't get) is irrelevant, it's the good feeling I get as a result.

So if the forum is up, I use it, if it's down I don't, simple as that!!

SeaEagleRock8 link said:
[quote author=vidmar link=topic=181313.msg235971#msg235971 date=1249880380]
People become members so that their dollars contribute to putting a team on the paddock and have the infrastructure to support that.

Being able to post on the forum is just an additional benefit of membership (as is cheap travel to away games, discounted merchandise, MWTV viewing, member insider emails, free functions and a range of other value adds)
And that is based on . . . what? Some poll, or is that just your guess?
[/quote]

As there are now around 4,000 Screaming Eagles members and I don't see 4,000 posters I would hazard that many (as per Pete's post) don't join up to use the forum.

I'm not sure why the forum was having problems (And not sure why people assume it was switched off?)

Dan is right re the forum being taken away and comparison to season ticket however I know of at least 2 occasions why it was switched off...

1. During the early stages of the Brett Stewart case (As the club can't moderate the site 24/7 there was concern that something would be posted that may predjudice the case)

2. During one of the owners stoushes when all manner of slanderous and derogatory remarks were being posted about both the owners and other posters - the site was closed to allow everyone to calm down and to stop the news limited journos getting a whole load of quotes for easy column inches (Re the season ticket analogy -The rules and regs of a season ticket say that the card can be revoked if it is misused (This will no doubt include breaking the ground rules eg Cause trouble at a game, invade the pitch, don't finish the free sandwiches that are on offer etc etc)

Jethro - not sure when you last looked the the MWSE site? There are plenty posting on there that can in no way be labelled as blinkered

Still unsure why we can get the best part of 70,000 wearing maroon and white to the GF and many more filling pubs, clubs and homes around the Penisular but not more than 4,000 willing to punt in $59 to be a member and support the club financially...?

And before people start wheeling out the "Who is a true supporter" line take time to consider that the club will likely run in financial deficit this year and we can't always be dependant upon the Delmege and Penn consortium to bail us out or rely on some big sponsor(s) lobbing the odd lazy million in our direction?

Its good to see membership dollars helping to keep Orford employed :)

vidmar link said:
And before people start wheeling out the \"Who is a true supporter\" line take time to consider that the club will likely run in financial deficit this year and we can't always be dependant upon the Delmege and Penn consortium to bail us out or rely on some big sponsor(s) lobbing the odd lazy million in our direction?

and had they put in some effort and not played such **** football at the start of the year, had the owners not had their public stoush, had they not crucified the best CEO they’ve had in years who was bringing in large sums of corporate sponsorship dollars and had they stayed out of trouble off the field they would have run a large profit, a mediocre year would have seen us making not losing money.

But yes you right its people who aren’t members that are the problem and the reason the football club will run at a loss this year…..

Please…..

missing_something link said:
[quote author=vidmar link=topic=181313.msg236013#msg236013 date=1249886777]

And before people start wheeling out the \"Who is a true supporter\" line take time to consider that the club will likely run in financial deficit this year and we can't always be dependant upon the Delmege and Penn consortium to bail us out or rely on some big sponsor(s) lobbing the odd lazy million in our direction?

and had they put in some effort and not played such S**t football at the start of the year, had the owners not had their public stoush, had they not crucified the best CEO they’ve had in years who was bringing in large sums of corporate sponsorship dollars and had they stayed out of trouble off the field they would have run a large profit, a mediocre year would have seen us making not losing money.

But yes you right its people who aren’t members that are the problem and the reason the football club will run at a loss this year…..

Please…..

[/quote]

Exactly, one of the best and truest rants to grace these pages!

p.s. I am still not a member, if we don't win the finals, will it be my fault?

Bit simplistic MS?

Fully agree that the factors above were not ideal but it is well documented that the majority of the NRL clubs are really struggling financially apart from the the ones propped up by News Limited and/or who get good attendances like the Broncos.

Hence the push by the NRL on memberships.

I firmly believe that until the average supporter takes more ownership of the game through such things as membership and going to the game then we will always be at the mercy of the large media companies who can dangle the financial carrot but ultimately will call the shots as to how the game is run and when.

When more people would prefer to pay a couple of hundred dollars to watch the games on TV rather than to get to the occasional game or become a member TV will own the code.

At present, without TV dollars the comp is dead in the water.

(Look at the membership and attendances at the AFL and how full their coffers are?)

I'm one of the biggest complainers when it comes to the match scheduling but as Mr Gallop has said many times "Thems that pays the piper calls the tune"

Oh... and point of order - it is not the Football Club that will run in the deficit mentioned it is the Sea Eagles Limited (The franchise)

Mention re Matt Orford and his re-signing is harsh....The resounding support of Des and the management team that I've read on here over the last 12 months is somewhat at odds with howls of protest when he makes his decisions on who the player roster will be and who will be taking to the paddock on a weekend and where they will play?

I have my own opinions on the current players and who I think is performing and who isn't but ultimately despite that, my opinion counts for nought and I have to trust the judgement of those in charge who have far more knowledge and experience than I? (even if I may disagree or even scratch my head about some of these decisions...no blindly following from me mate?)

If I ultimately don't trust that judgement then I would need to be vocal about a change in management which I don't feel should be the case...how long before we see the "Sack the coach!" faction raise its head?

Ultimately, for anyone who went through the whole Northern Eagles debacle when we so nearly lost our club to even contemplate debating the value of membership dollars supporting a financially viable club is (in my humble opinion) very, very silly

vidmar link said:
Jethro - not sure when you last looked the the MWSE site? There are plenty posting on there that can in no way be labelled as blinkered

Which is why I initially said "(or there was)" in my other post that you are referring to. However, I have since gone over and had another look as BErKeLEy_eAgLe posted in the "Time to cut some expensive dead wood next year" thread http://www.silvertails.net/forums/topic,181300.0/ the other day that there was a thread similar to that thread on the MWSE forum started by Snoz http://www.manlyseaeagles.com.au/message-board-detail.asp?mbid=139058&s=0 , I went and had a look and low and behold I found that it would appear that nothing had changed because he was then slammed by some clown called Philip and labeled a "so called supporter" for putting forward his point of view. Philip was immediately backed up by Cambo (AKA Cliffy GC) and who told Snoz to "pull ure head in clown" (sorry to drag you into this Cliffy).

vidmar link said:
Bit simplistic MS?

Sometimes it's about breaking things down to what they are, had we kept our noses clean, not had the infighting and performed even averagely on the back of that grand final win last year we would have gone forward financially this year – attendance, merchandise sales, memberships and sponsorships all would have been up. Too many times there’s too many excuses when what’s needed is someone to take ownership of the issues and work towards correcting them. Closing down forums because you don’t like what’s being said and trying to shame people into memberships is not the way to go forward. If you want people invest in something you need to inspire them, offer them something in return and make them believe in your product, tell them what your working towards, spread a positive message, scare mongering breeds negativity and complacency: I’ve not seen from the club this year on and off the field, added to which I actually think there’s a few people with floating round different forums preaching a hardline membership view that is actually damaging the marketability of the product there spruiking and the club.

Simple but they still can't get it right.

Mark from Brisbane link said:
I am a member over at MWSE, also a Football Club member AND I post here occasionally.

Would I \"pay to post on a forum\" no way, if Dan were to introduce a fee to post I'd say \"thanks for the memories\".

But my decision to be a member over at MWSE is more about feeling like I am \"doing something for the financial well good of the team I love\".

All the stuff I get (or don't get) is irrelevant, it's the good feeling I get as a result.

So if the forum is up, I use it, if it's down I don't, simple as that!!

I have to agree with Mark on this one. I became a football club member not a screaming eagle MWSE member because I wanted to do something positive in helping the club that I love.

I wouldn't become a MWSE member solely for the reason of posting on the forum, I would only do it if I believe it helps the club financially.

It’s sad though that the MWSE website sees fit that it has to censor free speech be it critical of the club or players. Every member on that site deserves better and an avenue for venting their frustration with likeminded people rather than conforming to a totalitarian regime.

[quote author=vidmar link=topic=181313.msg236013#msg236013 date=1249886777]

and had they put in some effort and not played such S**t football at the start of the year, had the owners not had their public stoush, had they not crucified the best CEO they’ve had in years who was bringing in large sums of corporate sponsorship dollars and had they stayed out of trouble off the field they would have run a large profit, a mediocre year would have seen us making not losing money.

Please…..

[/quote]

Great post - and applaud right there

Dan link said:
[quote author=vidmar link=topic=181313.msg235971#msg235971 date=1249880380]

Thats just plain BS

Most people who buy memberships do it out of some feeling of obligation, a lot of people buy them specifically for the posting rights on the forum.

And for whatever reason, it is offered as a feature of the packages, and taking it offline is akin to removing someones ticket that comes with their membership
[/quote]  I purchased a Bird of Prey membership to give me the inside running on Finals and GF tickets.  Stupid bloody optimist.

[quote author=vidmar link=topic=181313.msg236028#msg236028 date=1249889938]
Bit simplistic MS?

Sometimes it's about breaking things down to what they are, had we kept our noses clean, not had the infighting and performed even averagely on the back of that grand final win last year we would have gone forward financially this year – attendance, merchandise sales, memberships and sponsorships all would have been up. Too many times there’s too many excuses when what’s needed is someone to take ownership of the issues and work towards correcting them. Closing down forums because you don’t like what’s being said and trying to shame people into memberships is not the way to go forward. If you want people invest in something you need to inspire them, offer them something in return and make them believe in your product, tell them what your working towards, spread a positive message, scare mongering breeds negativity and complacency: I’ve not seen from the club this year on and off the field, added to which I actually think there’s a few people with floating round different forums preaching a hardline membership view that is actually damaging the marketability of the product there spruiking and the club.

Simple but they still can't get it right.
[/quote]  Careful, you'll get thrown in the "not a true supporter basket" which is akin to purgatory.  I'll give you an applaud though.

hey jethro hang on a sec mate
i hooked in to him for one reason and i have just done it again now,

for personally insulting the players.

Ill be honest at the moment i believe the following players arent playing up to the standard i expect of them as a fan
Tony williams
Wolfy
Lyon king (against souths)
Kite
Perry
Glenn Stewart

those blokes need to look in the mirror and dig deep.

But calling blokes soft, useless, little C's, the williams sisters and she rex is disgraceful and thats what i have issue with

play the ball not the man

Williams Sister's is ironic - after all the beloved Jason King has been called Princess by some on here for years. It's too painful to cry when we lose so you have to laugh.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4