More Cash for Brookie

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Wheel

https://membership.seaeagles.com.au/
Premium Member
Manly Sea Eagles home Brookvale Oval to get $1.2m playing surface upgrade
Ben James, Manly Daily

April 23, 2019 7:00pm

Subscriber only

·

Northern Beaches Council will spend $1.2 million to fix up Brookvale Oval’s troubled playing surface.

The cash will go towards laying new turf as well as improving the drainage and irrigation system.

It has been a challenging few months for the council-owned ground with both soccer and rugby league matches having been called off due to poor pitch conditions.

It is hoped the investment will ensure Manly Sea Eagles and other sporting teams and codes continue to use the ground in the future.

Mayor Michael Regan said the cash was part of the proposed budget which is due to be sent out for public consultation.

“Council will invest $1.2 million in a complete upgrade of the surface including new turf, improved drainage and new irrigation,” he said. “It will also improve the fencing and access ramps.”

The ground was branded “Brookfail” earlier this year following injuries and cancelled fixtures.

The Sea Eagles’ pre-season trial match against Cronulla in February was moved at the eleventh-hour after concerns for the state of the pitch following a Super Rugby match.

Later the same month Sydney FC announced they were moving their highly anticipated appearance as the surface was “not up to A-League standards”.

In March, when the Roosters visited Brookvale, winger Brett Morris blamed the playing surface for a knee injury he suffered.

“I’ve been to Brookvale twice now and my knee has dug in and I’ve had an injury as a result,” he said at the time.

Sea Eagles CEO Lyall Gorman at their Narrabeen headquarters. Picture: Adam Yip

Manly chief executive Lyall Gorman hired independent experts Labo Sports earlier this year to assess the pitch. The council also had experts draw up a report.

The council said the works had not come as a result of the analysis, however, a spokeswoman said the investment would hopefully prevent similar problems and cancelled fixtures in the future.

Mr Gorman said he welcomed the work, adding: “We’re delighted to be working with council on a whole range of things. We see them as partners.”

Goats join Easter bunny in the mall

The club is preparing to submit a DA for a $36.1m upgrade of the ground including a centre of excellence.

Well played Mr Gorman.
Interesting that the Gorman haters from 12 months ago have gone very quiet. Many saying he hasn’t delivered a thing, not setting the club up for success, hasn’t signed a player etc etc.

Wonder what they think of Lyall now after;

1. New northern grandstand
  2. New Centre of Excellence
  3. Close to $40 m funding for ground improvements in the Bank
  4. Significantly better member/fan engagement
  5. More affordable membership packages
  6. Revamped coaching team and stable off field management team
  7. Active social media presence with regular club news delivered daily
  8. Probably many more

Interesting that the Gorman haters from 12 months ago have gone very quiet. Many saying he hasn’t delivered a thing, not setting the club up for success, hasn’t signed a player etc etc.

8. Probably many more
100%
It seems that Gorman is an achiever. Co-incedently bozo has butted out and is not interfering with the CEO.
Oh and Penn has been very quiet.

100%
It seems that Gorman is an achiever. Co-incedently bozo has butted out and is not interfering with the CEO.
Oh and Penn has been very quiet.
My guess is that Penn is happy to leave it alone, as long as things are improving on the financial bottom line and he isn't needing to put out fires caused by his uncle. Hopefully with a few decent results and some good weather he can make a few bob on the gate takings and just be happy to Let Des and Lyall take care of things. To Penn's credit he appointed Lyall. I wont mention the 10 others he sacked before him though.

8. Probably many more
Don’t want to poop on your parade but as we’ve learned on Brookie, I’ll hold off on the praise until I see some construction happening. The rest is all true and worth the plaudits...

Not a Gorman hater ... I have simply pointed out in the past that in a small family owned business .... there is only one boss ... and that any CEO can only do either what the owner lets him do ... or tells him to do .....

... and to be fair ... until Macquire told Penn he was dreaming and Penn subsequently "disappeared" .... Gorman hadn't done anything other than make nice noises ...

However, now with the reins firmly in Dessie and Gorman's hands, I am expecting great things .......

I don't see that much has changed Wheel.

Off the field:
* Nominal to no signings.
* Appeals failed (Cap, etc)
* Brooky: Still nothing started apart from talk
* Membership cost me a little more this year
* Got 0 extra benefit (one less game @ Brooky)
* Same levels of social media to me (but I'm not on FB or Messenger & things)
* Fan engagement? Haven't heard from the club once

On the field:
* Walker still outstanding
* Poor win/loss in all 3 Flegg, Cup, 1st grade
* Still have Barrett on the books
* Failed appeals (AFB)
* Poor depth in the backs

As others have alluded to, a lot probably is at the mercy of Penn. I just take it for what it is though. If / When actual tangible improvements happen, I'll be delighted.

We need to catch a break though, and start winning some damned games.

Off the field:

On the field:
* Failed appeals (AFB)

As others have alluded to, a lot probably is at the mercy of Penn. I just take it for what it is though. If / When actual tangible improvements happen, I'll be delighted.

Take heart Ryan ... the longer Penn is in Coventry ... Sorry ... I mean the States ... the more time Gorman and Dessie will have to accomplish things ...

Off the field:

On the field:
* Failed appeals (AFB)

You are right Ryan, the place is still a mess.

Let’s get back legends like Perry, Kelly and the school teacher. While we are at it let’s get Zorbs back the media was great in his day!

And if only we could get Recruitment back on track so we can get immortals like Hasson, Hodges, The Wright brothers in the team. Also our juniors are mess- the Ball and Matthews teams are diabolical.

The artist impressions of Brookie over the last 20 years are so much better that a soon to be submitted DA and the $37.4m in the bank!

#sackgorman

You are right Ryan, the place is still a mess.

Let’s get back legends like Perry, Kelly and the school teacher. While we are at it let’s get Zorbs back the media was great in his day!

And if only we could get Recruitment back on track so we can get immortals like Hasson, Hodges, The Wright brothers in the team. Also our juniors are mess- the Ball and Matthews teams are diabolical.

The artist impressions of Brookie over the last 20 years are so much better that a soon to be submitted DA and the $37.4m in the bank!

#sackgorman
Hasson is still at the club mate hehehe.

No idea why all the other CEO's got hosed or pantsed. Well, some I've been told things.

How long ago did you and I do that 10k people signed petition ? Still haven't seen a cent of that money Iemma promised us ($10M), and MANY CEO's later.

Zorba being out is a huge plus, but he retired didn't he on his terms? That's what the paper reported anyways, and I know you can't believe everything there.

Recruitment wise, being honest, Matt Wright and others are on the same level as Elliott and Garrick. BUT, I'm really looking forward to our recruitment in the coming 12 months. Hated that we released Kelly, and are using Parker, Suli (although both are improving, I really feel).

I also hope the latest artist impression wasn't spot on, because it looked pretty ordinary. Wish we had a lot more tbh. Look at Bankwest Stadium, The Storms home ground etc. We need a true upgrade, but I'm sure they'll do the best they possibly can. Hopefully a local contract, where by you get a 5% discount on labour or something.

Ball and Matthews. Mate, you know the % of those kids that thransfer from that level to the same first grade team? I think Jersey Flegg, Cup and first grade is what we should be focusing on..and probably not even wins / losses in Flegg and Cup, but more so development. Look at our 1st grade team:

01. Tom Trbojevic
04. Brad Parker
07. Daly Cherry-Evans
13. Jake Trbojevic

Are players who went through our ball and cup, and I'd say we are 50% better off there than almost every other team.

Hasson is still at the club mate hehehe.

No idea why all the other CEO's got hosed or pantsed. Well, some I've been told things.

How long ago did you and I do that 10k people signed petition ? Still haven't seen a cent of that money Iemma promised us ($10M), and MANY CEO's later.

Zorba being out is a huge plus, but he retired didn't he on his terms? That's what the paper reported anyways, and I know you can't believe everything there.

Recruitment wise, being honest, Matt Wright and others are on the same level as Elliott and Garrick. BUT, I'm really looking forward to our recruitment in the coming 12 months. Hated that we released Kelly, and are using Parker, Suli (although both are improving, I really feel).

I also hope the latest artist impression wasn't spot on, because it looked pretty ordinary. Wish we had a lot more tbh. Look at Bankwest Stadium, The Storms home ground etc. We need a true upgrade, but I'm sure they'll do the best they possibly can. Hopefully a local contract, where by you get a 5% discount on labour or something.

Ball and Matthews. Mate, you know the % of those kids that thransfer from that level to the same first grade team? I think Jersey Flegg, Cup and first grade is what we should be focusing on..and probably not even wins / losses in Flegg and Cup, but more so development. Look at our 1st grade team:

01. Tom Trbojevic
04. Brad Parker
07. Daly Cherry-Evans
13. Jake Trbojevic

Are players who went through our ball and cup, and I'd say we are 50% better off there than almost every other team.
Hasson is playing club rugby now - definitely not at the club or Blacktown

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8