Modern game - mobility is everything

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
The big man will Always have a place in a physical contact sport like rugby league
But too many bigs without speed and versatility even in the middle, will have you caught out....
Players like Cam Murray, Creighton, Liam Martin, Yeo, Nanai are where it is at.
While everyone keeps mentioning needing an extra forward and centre, which has merit and I'll take Klemmer, Best and Young.....we lack pace in the middle and the mix needs changes.
If only we could bring back Watmough, Gartner, Kosef and Menzies would thrive in the modern game.
I get plenty on here saying there is no excuse and to a degree - I agree.
But the cattle needs to be right in the the lightning fast game today or you will be eaten inside out like a spider, as your middle is destroyed and this compromises the backs who then get in trouble for letting in most the tries.
Opposition 9's like Cook, API, Grant must lick their lips as our defensive frailties are picked apart down route 101 and it's mostly been the tempo that's killed off Manly due to a lack of mobility to control the contest in the middle
Tom will make a massive positive input in denting opposition defence to help take thrust from their attack, but how many hats can Tom wear, particularly only averaging a handful of games each season
Anyways watch the quicks this weekend roll the middle to set up their halves and in contrast, the versatile defensive middles who are able to control the momentum and setup the win - the best defensive middles will decide both outcomes even though Cleary, Gutho, Walker and the usual suspects will get the credit

Last edited:
Completely agree speed leg speed and doing everything with pace is the modern forwards game. So then ask urself why the Bull couldn't get more than 1 game in the middle and why AOA can do everything twice as quick as the rest of our lethargic pack.

Wasn "t so bad for Manly when a fit Josh Schuster and Haumole were regulars in the back row last season , Jake just enough mobility at the back and the enthusiasm of Walker then . Alioia " s mobility not totally missed even with his limited appearances , Marty Keppie and Sipley not that exposed . Paseka has the necessary mobility when he is available . Probably not helped this season with many a game 's low completion rate but can 't be any doubt the lack of overall forward mobility with the modern trend , starting to hurt now . Davey was not lacking in general and expect Tuilagi to hopefully offer a bit more . Tuitavake seems to have that drive and mobility but whether he can keep it up for extended periods may be another matter , some indications apparently that the lower grade prospect Fifita is not too bad on his feet . Bullemor has the attributes , like Burbo really needs to get that harder and more aggressive edge to their game . Young Fulton may be able to go to another level , Syked has potential . Wish that there was a bit more certainty to have that right mix in the mobility stakes with the forward line up going forward , Could turn out better next season with the exiting squad but definitely will need some improvement from some individuals to make it happen

Wasn "t so bad for Manly when a fit Josh Schuster and Haumole were regulars in the back row last season , Jake just enough mobility at the back and the enthusiasm of Walker then . Alioia " s mobility not totally missed even with his limited appearances , Marty Keppie and Sipley not that exposed . Paseka has the necessary mobility when he is available . Probably not helped this season with many a game 's low completion rate but can 't be any doubt the lack of overall forward mobility with the modern trend , starting to hurt now . Davey was not lacking in general and expect Tuilagi to hopefully offer a bit more . Tuitavake seems to have that drive and mobility but whether he can keep it up for extended periods may be another matter , some indications apparently that the lower grade prospect Fifita is not too bad on his feet . Bullemor has the attributes , like Burbo really needs to get that harder and more aggressive edge to their game . Young Fulton may be able to go to another level , Syked has potential . Wish that there was a bit more certainty to have that right mix in the mobility stakes with the forward line up going forward , Could turn out better next season with the exiting squad but definitely will need some improvement from some individuals to make it happen
Yep - I like the potential of young Fulton who brings mobility, which automatically incorporates more energy to the team also...I noticed when young Fulton came on apart from some aggro, he used speed to cut down Teddy in goal and these type things bring energy to the team and give a lift that was often lacking....also as hoops suggested above, Bull offers some pace and was suprised he was playing in NSW cup in comparison to a few plod types who got the gig ?

Yep, and our forward group contain Condon, Tuilagi, J Trbojevic, Sipley, Boyle, Schuster, Kurt De Luis, Keppie, Paseka - imagine these guys in a 200m dash !

Yep - I like the potential of young Fulton who brings mobility, which automatically incorporates more energy to the team also...I noticed when young Fulton came on apart from some aggro, he used speed to cut down Teddy in goal and these type things bring energy to the team and give a lift that was often lacking....also as hoops suggested above, Bull offers some pace and was suprised he was playing in NSW cup in comparison to a few plod types who got the gig ?
Ironic that grandpa pursued a ‘western solution’ to the player production line. Then along comes his grandson, to remind us (if we needed reminding) that the solution lies at home, with real local juniors who want to play for their district club.

Ironic that grandpa pursued a ‘western solution’ to the player production line. Then along comes his grandson, to remind us (if we needed reminding) that the solution lies at home, with real local juniors who want to play for their district club.
Think Zac might’ve grown up playing in Moree.

The club's bio says he was born in Manly and lists junior clubs as Woy Woy Roosters and Beacon Hill Bears.

I think if the team played more controlled footy, concentrated on possession rates mobility would be less of a factor. Evening up posession in the second half once the game is done is not adequate, and screws with the rotation,

it certainly impacts stats for starting forwards as when you play, as opposed to how you play helps determines outcome due to momentum

it is a concern , mobility, but our attitude and control of possession, when the game is on the line, and the lack of mental toughness highlight our lack of mobile forwards , who regularly have to contend with large defensive workloads under fatigue ,early in games

its both or why bother

We don't have any props with the body shape of players like Cotter, Fisher-Harris, Leota, Leniu. They aren't giants like most of ours but seem to go at 100mph, in both defence and with the ball. Bullemor is probably the closest we have to that style but I'm not even sure if he's going to be used as a middle. Hasn't been yet. We have the bigger-bodied props but ours often don't seem to play with the impact of Paulo, NAS, RCG Burgess, JWH & Co.

The club's bio says he was born in Manly and lists junior clubs as Woy Woy Roosters and Beacon Hill Bears.
He did play MJRL for a very short while , but yes I’d say the above two clubs would be where he played the majority of the games.

His father did he play for the Moree Boars , and they were involved in the juniors there for a while

I’d say only at a very young age for Zac.

For the record, I DO think a team can comfortably carry two / three primary power forwards who may lack the speed, but make plenty of post contact metres. I actually think that balances a rotation. For us, that would be: Aloiai, Keppie and Paseka.

But agree @maxta - from there you need explosive speed, a good step, aggression, intensity, mobility.

For quite some time, we've gone for the lumbering power forward type.

The big man will Always have a place in a physical contact sport like rugby league
But too many bigs without speed and versatility even in the middle, will have you caught out....
Spot on feathered friend

The moral of the story
Big without Speed and Agility is just a mere mass

Kent mentioned an interesting stat on 360 - the Riff have the lowest post-contact metres of any side in the comp!
Apparently because they are more focussed on getting to ground with a quick ptb than struggling to make a few extra metres...
Helps when you have big ass props with excellent skills I guess...

They had
Kent mentioned an interesting stat on 360 - the Riff have the lowest post-contact metres of any side in the comp!
Apparently because they are more focussed on getting to ground with a quick ptb than struggling to make a few extra metres...
Helps when you have big ass props with excellent skills I guess...
Four million post contact meters in the GF

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4