Milking Penalties ( 2022)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Simple solution. The area of the body between the knees and the armpits is declared as the acceptable tackle zone and all uniforms are coloured appropriately. For example our outfit would be maroon up to the armpits and white above. The arms can be hit with the shoulder but not held. The legs can not be grabbed or held below the knees. Any tackle outside that zone is an automatic penalty and 10 in the bin. No more crushers. No more head high tackles. No more cannonballs. No more chicken wings.

No, of course I'm not being serious. But it would be interesting to see how Bellamy would get around it.

After seeing that cat Fergo last night , lying on the ground crying and holding his neck and next minute up ready to fight one of the Panthers I think I’d like to see the penalty reversed when this situation happens.

I’d also like to see a penalty going against a player who’s clearing trying on a milked situation.

You sometimes here the ref yelling “ milking “ , fair enough , but “ milking penalty the other side “ would be better.

Thoughts everyone ??
Can't do that. From time immemorial insurance companies have hired private detectives to try to catch out people pretending to have chronic back injuries and the like. You can't be sure if someone is hurt, it's simply not a black and white situation.
Fergie's looked pretty funny but who's to say he didn't feel a crack or some pain and be in fear for a short time? And the fact he leapt up frankly proves nothing. I think Ritchie Fa'aoso played on for a while in that 2013 semi before going off to hospital and having a broken neck confirmed.
The penalty is for putting the player in a dangerous position, not for causing a serious injury.
As for not in the spirit of the game, the tactic of duping a ref to gain an advantage has always been in the game, it wasn't invented by Josh Reynolds or Brandon Smith. Even Fulton did it.

^ Boooo!

That's frustratingly correct.

I wish there was something solid that can be done. I thought that ok...if the player stays down like ferg, then a quick 2 min off the field hia but that's complicated.

Maybe.. if the player stays, not necc a penalty unless.. the bunker...

...play on... unless the player needs to go off then a penalty...

wait..

sheesh

sigh

The only way to crack down on it would be post match - too tough to judge during the game.

Fine players who fake, wink at the camera etc then you will see it stop.

Also did anyone notice how when Cleary kicks there is often a panther blocking near the ruck to stop the markers running through?

The only way to crack down on it would be post match - too tough to judge during the game.

Also did anyone notice how when Cleary kicks there is often a panther blocking near the ruck to stop the markers running through?
Constantly!!

And block plays are supposed to be illegal!!

Simple solution. The area of the body between the knees and the armpits is declared as the acceptable tackle zone and all uniforms are coloured appropriately. For example our outfit would be maroon up to the armpits and white above. The arms can be hit with the shoulder but not held. The legs can not be grabbed or held below the knees. Any tackle outside that zone is an automatic penalty and 10 in the bin. No more crushers. No more head high tackles. No more cannonballs. No more chicken wings.

No, of course I'm not being serious. But it would be interesting to see how Bellamy would get around it.
He’d find a way.

Proposing time off the field to assess "milking" is tough in some situations.

When we played the Storm, Garrick almost went over in the corner and if I recall, Jarome Hughes slid in late and collected Reuben in the face with his knees.

I was critical of Garrick at the time for not milking, as that was a blatant foul if we are still singing the 'protect the players' narrative. Hughes off for a 10min spell would have impacted the game in a huge way, although I expect it wouldn't have changed the result.

Garrick to his credit bounced back up after at first clutching his face for a brief period - but he was OK to play, so having him have to go off for a period of (HIA) assessment might have been playing in his mind when he didn't go on with the milkman run perhaps?

Crusher Tackle penalties where the player turns in the tackle to offload though are a tough call - we don't want crushers, but at the same time I feel there are too many penalties/suspensions/fines given out when there is both no intent by the defender, and also action taken by the attacking player to put themselves into the position in the first place. Dunno what they can do about it, but I hope they do something.

Imagine getting suspended for a Grade 1 Wink. ;)

Steve Brule Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

They'd defend it a the Judiciary, get a downgrade from reckless wink to careless wink. Hey I got something in my eye!!

I would like to see some particular Manly players who get up slowly, looking at the ref when they know no penalty is going to be blown, and instead quickly play the ball. The amount of times we lose momentum doing that ****s me.

Players and coaches calling out people will open the gates for unfair call outs, so no. But the obvious ones like last night, let the media at them.

On a side note, the game wants this ridiculous microscope on refereeing from the punters gone, but the media have a responsibility with this also, like the Tele's headline of 8 mistake calls in lasts night parra/penrith game. Why don't they also highlight the amount of total missed tackles, lost balls, poor kicks etc.

Society likes to whinge. Remember the good old days when you either just won or lost.....
Couldn't agree more .... the number of times I yell , 'just get up and play it ' at the TV when that sh*t happens ..... unfortunately I don't think they can hear me ovrer the crowd noise

The crusher should be null as soon as an attacking player reverses into the defensive line as they would contribute to it. Christian Welch is the main offender.

I despise all the milking and “gamesmanship” that is rife. It’s always been there, but it’s an actual tactic now. The referees and bunker need to be much better at identifying legit play and playing for penalties.

Biggest scourge on the game

I agree re the crusher.

99% of the time it's the ball carrier's fault for backing into the tackle. The tacklers never had any intention of putting pressure on the neck. The rule was bought in to combat yet another grubby Storm tactic.

We need the soccer rule where the player who takes a dive gets yellow card for simulation. Make it 10 in the bin. It's a bad look when there are enough legitimate injuries without players bunging it on.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4