Media beatups will galvanise Manly

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
The media carry on has been ridiculous in 2022
I realise negative press sells papers and that opposition supporters are jealous of "past" Manly success, but every opportunity the boots have been flying in and in fact, when there hasn't been a story, they've managed to make 1 up.
Sure there has been some tensions and pressure on the players, staff and Manly club in general including fans, this happens when a proud team with a successful history falls short and is consistently losing games.
There are many reasons, but anyone who doesn't see the injury crisis as the major and key factor has lost the plot.
In contrast, Tigers were a lost cause but little said and the way the Sharks crashed out in straight sets and played so poorly in the finals series the media could have called the old mutiny in the ranks and players are on the nose and unhappy....maybe even terrible coaching....but these low blows seem reserved for Manly.
The old "pride jersey" was pulled from pillar to post and let me add, Manly were on the way out well before that fiasco....and another thing, every side across the NRL would have had players sitting out in this exact situation, the noise just would have been less, but make NO mistake - regardless if you felt it was right or wrong how it played out, EVERY NRL team would have had those same "outsiders" who sat that game out.

I would like to finish this post with a Positive note -
Have been a Manly fan many years and the best way to galvanise Manly is when we are written off, stomped on and under the pump....this Might footy club finds a way out and actually rises above.
Expect starting in 2023, with a fair bill of health this side suddenly fight back and start competing with the best and will be a dominant force in coming years.
It's the Manly way so those with heads down, lift ya chins and enjoy the show - these haters and media barons may well have done us a favour and galvonised Manly for 2023 and beyond !!

I realise negative press sells papers and that opposition supporters are jealous of "past" Manly success, but every opportunity the boots have been flying in and in fact, when there hasn't been a story, they've managed to make 1 up.
Sure there has been some tensions and pressure on the players, staff and Manly club in general including fans, this happens when a proud team with a successful history falls short and is consistently losing games.
There are many reasons, but anyone who doesn't see the injury crisis as the major and key factor has lost the plot.
In contrast, Tigers were a lost cause but little said and the way the Sharks crashed out in straight sets and played so poorly in the finals series the media could have called the old mutiny in the ranks and players are on the nose and unhappy....maybe even terrible coaching....but these low blows seem reserved for Manly.
The old "pride jersey" was pulled from pillar to post and let me add, Manly were on the way out well before that fiasco....and another thing, every side across the NRL would have had players sitting out in this exact situation, the noise just would have been less, but make NO mistake - regardless if you felt it was right or wrong how it played out, EVERY NRL team would have had those same "outsiders" who sat that game out.

Have been a Manly fan many years and the best way to galvanise Manly is when we are written off, stomped on and under the pump....this Might footy club finds a way out and actually rises above.
Expect starting in 2023, with a fair bill of health this side suddenly fight back and start competing with the best and will be a dominant force in coming years.
It's the Manly way so those with heads down, lift ya chins and enjoy the show - these haters and media barons may well have done us a favour and galvonised Manly for 2023 and beyond !!
Some positivity - I love it!! I don't want to read de press or be depressed. I just want see us get thru the World Cup unscathed, see a functioning Club with a management tream working as one, a strategic player pick up (or two), a committed squad during pre season and a coach with some fresh ideas. Now seriously, am I asking too much??!! Heads up - you're not allowed to say YES, damn it! ;)

“Little said” about the Tigers??What have you been watching and reading?Its been a Tigersfest ALL YEAR.As for the Sharks,well they at least finished second at regular seasons end,were 30 seconds away from a Prelim,have a new coach and no internal fractions.Overall,Manly are not a popular club,so they hardly “sell papers”

Mate, respect your view, but this playing group have shown they don't galvanize against the odds, but run / leave at the first sign of something they don't like or adversity (thinking back to Cowboys / Storm games).

It's Des Hasler's job to get the playing group all pulling in the same direction. It's the senior players role to help in that by building the relationships (Willow, Hicks, Walker did that in the past) - i.e. card nights, events, BBQ's etc..

We've heard from many teams opposition players, how the Manly crew should have behaved and acted differently.

“Little said” about the Tigers??What have you been watching and reading?Its been a Tigersfest ALL YEAR.As for the Sharks,well they at least finished second at regular seasons end,were 30 seconds away from a Prelim,have a new coach and no internal fractions.Overall,Manly are not a popular club,so they hardly “sell papers”
Probably don't watch as much news as I should and only watch footy games, not any footy shows.
Sometimes the Matt Johns show which at 1 stage seemed 80% Manly and 20% the rest.
Just in general I was mainly hearing about the Seaeagles issues, but when I hear about the problems at Tigers, NZ or other clubs its usually due to players being out injured or bad luck - just seems far harsher press on Manly with many stories that seemed fabricated without substance....maybe hits more as a supporter too to be fair.....but as stated I'm ok with it all, as think it will help Manly come good and pretty much that's what the thread was about.

Against popular opinion, we aren't unfairly targeted in the media....we just notice it more when we are mentioned negatively compared to other clubs.

Tigers have copped it all year.

Broncos getting a run this week with the Kevvie/Ikin "bust up", Parra and the whole pathways nepotism report.

Saints and Hook.....now Sloan wanting out.

Rugby League is a soap opera and we all have our time on stage.

Last edited:
Against popular opinion, we aren't unfairly targeted in the media....we just notice it more when we are mentioned negatively compared to other clubs.

Tigers have copped it all year.

Broncos getting a run this week with the Kevvie/Ikin "bust up", Parra and the whole pathways nepotism report.

Saints and Hook.....now Sloan wanting out.

Rugby League is a soap opera and we all have our time on stage.
Maybe so
But they don't all bounce back like Manly
I reckon it's good for the soul judging by history, when we are copping it and written off, always come back Stronger and general have a period of domination
Some are doubting the resolve of this group and based on 2022 - have every right, but I predict a fight back and a strong team for the coming years

Have to say no offence @maxta but this reads like one-eyed, wishy-washy baseless optimism and denial lol

I think our club got off light in the media when you consider, not only such a fall from last season, but the absolute **** show of the pride jersey saga. On that level, it was literally unprecedented in Australian sport. They are using this as a case study in ethics lectures at universities apparently. We now have religious part of society labelling us bigots for being against religion, and the secular other half labelling us bigots for homophobia! Add to that a player we have publicly supported for years is convicted of stabbing a man, and you're crying the blues that the media actually had something to write about for a change? Please. We have been a disgrace this year, and I also don't see how you think that this same playing group all of a sudden has the ticker and unity to be galvanised by adversity.

Have to say no offence @maxta but this reads like one-eyed, wishy-washy baseless optimism and denial lol

I think our club got off light in the media when you consider, not only such a fall from last season, but the absolute **** show of the pride jersey saga. On that level, it was literally unprecedented in Australian sport. They are using this as a case study in ethics lectures at universities apparently. We now have religious part of society labelling us bigots for being against religion, and the secular other half labelling us bigots for homophobia! Add to that a player we have publicly supported for years is convicted of stabbing a man, and you're crying the blues that the media actually had something to write about for a change? Please. We have been a disgrace this year, and I also don't see how you think that this same playing group all of a sudden has the ticker and unity to be galvanised by adversity.
Definitely 1 eyed, but not wishy washy...
I back all my quotes and believe them including past history
I realise after such a season like 2022 it seems a BIG stretch, but past history will support my claims and I feel IF we keep a healthy 17 - will suprise in 2023.
Also it won't be the same playing group as for starters Tom back is as important in lifting the side as Lockyer, John's and Cam Smith were to former great sides and add Schuster who imo will be red hot at 5/8- there's already a massive shift in dynamics.

I agree @Pete W 2022 has been a complete cluster****. The worst thing about that though is that almost all of the above has been both predictable and self-inflicted.

As I’ve been saying for the last month or two UNTIL we know the final makeup of “ team 23” we are going off half cocked.

Whilst it’s doubtful we have the funds to sign 2 or 3 superstars, we may well be signing 2-3 very good first graders.

We have lost a LOT of players from this year , and we’ve signed 1 and rumoured to be signing another , both not expensive superstars, we are still short about 6-7 players to make up the 30.

We need to revisit the “ doom and gloom” if all we are doing is elevating a few Neville’s from Blacktown.

I’m hopeful that the 30 next year won’t look too bad!

Success won't come unless we make change. If Penn, Despicable and the majority of the squad remain in 2023 then the same issues that brought us undone this season will repeat the trauma.
Whereas, the Tuggers have at least instigated a major change with the Benji coaching plan and a different mindset to the way they will play and recruit.
If I was a Tuggers fan I'd be living in hope. Unfortunately, as a Manly fan, I see no hope for improvement unless Mestrov the Maestro can weave some magic.

Mate, respect your view, but this playing group have shown they don't galvanize against the odds, but run / leave at the first sign of something they don't like or adversity (thinking back to Cowboys / Storm games).

It's Des Hasler's job to get the playing group all pulling in the same direction. It's the senior players role to help in that by building the relationships (Willow, Hicks, Walker did that in the past) - i.e. card nights, events, BBQ's etc..

We've heard from many teams opposition players, how the Manly crew should have behaved and acted differently.
Mate, agree, we suck .......

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4