Media beatups will galvanise Manly

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
This squad compared to hasler's last year at manly is chalk and cheese.
If everyone stays fit we are a top 4 side.

Des will have a point to prove and you got to take in to account despite the poor ending there were some significant individual improvement this year
-koloa
-garrick
-harper
-croker
-shomole before the jersey saga
- saab before his acl

Des and Don have already shown their commitment to Schu and he has in turn by training still and not playing in the World Cup.

As long as penn and Mestrov don't **** up and either boot des or Piss him off to the point he leaves. I think we are in for a massive 2023. I think des would love to win a comp and they tell this mob to jam it.

Des will have a point to prove and you got to take in to account despite the poor ending there were some significant individual improvement this year
-koloa
-garrick
-harper
-croker
- saab before his acl

Des and Don have already shown their commitment to Schu and he has in turn by training still and not playing in the World Cup.

As long as penn and Mestrov don't **** up and either boot des or Piss him off to the point he leaves. I think we are in for a massive 2023. I think des would love to win a comp and they tell this mob to jam it.
I’d challenge the opinion that Saab and Harper improved in 2022. I’m not sure what you are benchmarking performance against but surely not 2021. Reserve graders at best.

This team ,(captained by Dce) is not mentally strong enough to be galvanised together through adversity .
We need a couple more tough ,polarising ,character type leaders to hold this team together.
I think a lot of it comes down to DCE's captaincy, he's not a natural leader and it's clear when we're in strife and he starts his headless chook impersonation that the team becomes increasingly lost, we need a leader who commands respect from his troops, one thing's for sure, DCE is not that person, perhaps Jake might be worth consideration, beyond him I really haven't got a clue

Would we rather be like the Warriors or Titans who , outside of their own areas, no one knows they exist.

I think a lot of it comes down to DCE's captaincy, he's not a natural leader and it's clear when we're in strife and he starts his headless chook impersonation that the team becomes increasingly lost, we need a leader who commands respect from his troops, one thing's for sure, DCE is not that person, perhaps Jake might be worth consideration, beyond him I really haven't got a clue
@eagleron I agree DCE is not a natural leader.

In terms of alternatives besides Jake the answer is clear...

"ok guys, just shut up and follow me" Tom Trbo 2023

I am sure Trbo benchmarks himself against Teddy and this is exactly his approach. Latrell, Pappy and even Queen Gutho take this approach too.

I am sure Trbo benchmarks himself against Teddy and this is exactly his approach. Latrell, Pappy and even Queen Gutho take this approach too.
I was going to throw Tom in but because of his recent reliability issues I didn't bother, I know when he's out there he's constantly geeing the troops up and has at least on one occasion been quite sharp towards players not performing as required, Paseka was the recipient of his venom on one of those times, Tom plays to win and would in my opinion make an excellent leader, perhaps both he and Jake could co - captain the side, we all know what winning means to them both

Bloody hell I hope things change in 2023 because those last 7 rounds were just painful to watch.

We need so mongrel. We need enforcers.

I've almost forgotten what Tom looks like.

Let's hope we see a totally different attitude next year.

It goes without saying, but I will say it anyway - long as he can stay on the field.

Gutherson could have been a very good Manly captain. You know the club is in long term decline when it forces a local junior of his calibre out the door.

I really like tom's no nonsense 'get 'er done' approach and think he'd be a great captain (see below)

It goes without saying, but I will say it anyway - long as he can stay on the field.

and there's the rub. But I think he will (happy thoughts).

Yet dce says that everyone he's spoken to is happy he is the captain (because when people in power ask others if they are doing fine, they always tell the truth. /sarcasm)

Anyway...tom for captain.

He pops up in those Musashi ads that are all over Fox Sports/Kayo. Although I'm pretty sure the footage they use in that is from an Under-21s game.
Why is he doing commercials for the old Imperial Japanese Navy? It ceased to exist in 1945.
20FADBC9-20F7-45D9-B667-79E14FCEA0E8.jpeg

;)

Oh well Fox are onto the Broncos and parra now. Might give us a reprieve for a week or 2. Note they are very gentle on Ikin though.

Oh well Fox are onto the Broncos and parra now. Might give us a reprieve for a week or 2. Note they are very gentle on Ikin though.
That maybe true and given the relationship between Fox and Ikin,it’s understandable,but Ikin is in the clear in this situation.He hasn’t been able to get his ideas across due to Walters’ insecurities.Ikin is weeding out the problems at the Broncos,so not sure there’s anything the Fox folk can throw at him.The Haas situation will define Ikin

That maybe true and given the relationship between Fox and Ikin,it’s understandable,but Ikin is in the clear in this situation.He hasn’t been able to get his ideas across due to Walters’ insecurities.Ikin is weeding out the problems at the Broncos,so not sure there’s anything the Fox folk can throw at him.The Haas situation will define Ikin
Ikin is in the clear???... how do we know, thats only what his buddies tell us.

The media carry on has been ridiculous in 2022
I realise negative press sells papers and that opposition supporters are jealous of "past" Manly success, but every opportunity the boots have been flying in and in fact, when there hasn't been a story, they've managed to make 1 up.
Sure there has been some tensions and pressure on the players, staff and Manly club in general including fans, this happens when a proud team with a successful history falls short and is consistently losing games.
There are many reasons, but anyone who doesn't see the injury crisis as the major and key factor has lost the plot.
In contrast, Tigers were a lost cause but little said and the way the Sharks crashed out in straight sets and played so poorly in the finals series the media could have called the old mutiny in the ranks and players are on the nose and unhappy....maybe even terrible coaching....but these low blows seem reserved for Manly.
The old "pride jersey" was pulled from pillar to post and let me add, Manly were on the way out well before that fiasco....and another thing, every side across the NRL would have had players sitting out in this exact situation, the noise just would have been less, but make NO mistake - regardless if you felt it was right or wrong how it played out, EVERY NRL team would have had those same "outsiders" who sat that game out.

I would like to finish this post with a Positive note -
Have been a Manly fan many years and the best way to galvanise Manly is when we are written off, stomped on and under the pump....this Might footy club finds a way out and actually rises above.
Expect starting in 2023, with a fair bill of health this side suddenly fight back and start competing with the best and will be a dominant force in coming years.
It's the Manly way so those with heads down, lift ya chins and enjoy the show - these haters and media barons may well have done us a favour and galvonised Manly for 2023 and beyond !!
I don't think many opposition supporters are jealous of "past" Manly success especially those under the age of 40-45, it's more an old school let's feel proud about our "Great Club" mentality we pathetically cling onto that lacks any real substance as each year plays out.

There was a small revival of "hatred and jealousy" with the Delmege and Penn money flowing in that built a squad pretty much jam packed with rep quality players to compete with Melbourne but those days were short lived.

Until Manly has sustained success on and off the field and especially off the field that helps build a sustainable future empire we are merely just a team making up the numbers resembling more of a semi professional look than a modern team/club to fear.

Even the general fitness,physiques and mobility levels of much of our squad look a decade behind the times along with our poor off the ball movement in both attack and defence.

DCE still playing much like his previous 10yrs with not much development and composure, his leadership skills are non existent and we have players like Schuster that require a huge off season of fitness and being pushed by training staff to get him at a level sharp enough for a modern day 5/8. (too much effort for probably short term rewards with yoyo like weight issues throughout his career on the cards---i mean really is this the Manly we strive for player wise)

I would prefer we find a more sharp linkman through the middle to take up Jakes role and push both Schuster and DCE to the ballplaying edges, obviously the preferred route of DCE controlling and taking on the middles will never happen so it is the next best option.

-koloa
-garrick
-harper
-croker
- saab before his acl

I like your thread but I agree with Under The Sticks re Saab and Harper, I thought they were much better last year with the advantage Tom Turbo gave them.

I don't think many opposition supporters are jealous of "past" Manly success especially those under the age of 40-45, it's more an old school let's feel proud about our "Great Club" mentality we pathetically cling onto that lacks any real substance as each year plays out.

There was a small revival of "hatred and jealousy" with the Delmege and Penn money flowing in that built a squad pretty much jam packed with rep quality players to compete with Melbourne but those days were short lived.

Until Manly has sustained success on and off the field and especially off the field that helps build a sustainable future empire we are merely just a team making up the numbers resembling more of a semi professional look than a modern team/club to fear.

Even the general fitness,physiques and mobility levels of much of our squad look a decade behind the times along with our poor off the ball movement in both attack and defence.

DCE still playing much like his previous 10yrs with not much development and composure, his leadership skills are non existent and we have players like Schuster that require a huge off season of fitness and being pushed by training staff to get him at a level sharp enough for a modern day 5/8. (too much effort for probably short term rewards with yoyo like weight issues throughout his career on the cards---i mean really is this the Manly we strive for player wise)

I would prefer we find a more sharp linkman through the middle to take up Jakes role and push both Schuster and DCE to the ballplaying edges, obviously the preferred route of DCE controlling and taking on the middles will never happen so it is the next best option.
Nice Post TC, but make no mistake, there is plenty of jealousy about Manly and so there should be.
I can guarantee as a bloke from the Shire, where Cronulla are doing far better than us currently, they still have are envious of the rich Manly history.
That's not pretending in 2022 they thought we were the better NRL side, more an opportunity to put the boot in and personally knowing a large population of Cronulla, that's exactly what they done, along with most other fan bases.
The old saying true among footy fans - "We go for our team and anyone playing Manly"
And I love it, as makes it only sweeter when we fight back to the Top - which we will !!

Until Manly comes across as a wealthy team again most supporters especially under 45 wont be envious of Manly at all.

Not much recent consistent success when you really look at it, yeah a strong mid 90's team that was one from three in GF's( but i really enjoyed being the standout team all year in terms of minor premiers) then some success again from the mid to late 2000's to 2013 and that is it.

We haven't even won the minor premiership in over 22 years and even when we had half a chance Melbourne always was a step ahead in that department.(yes i know GF's are more important but it's about establishing a dominance to enjoy throughout the year also that creates hatred and envy)

Manly are far down the pecking order these days in terms of others being "envious" that is for sure.

Our supporters come across as living in the past too much, probably due to our older mature demographic. Until we come across wealthy and professional again we wont attract the youth market types that want to associate with a successful intelligent demographic type of team.

Manly was that team in the 70's,80's and 90's and you will probably recall the types that supported Manly back in your high school years had half a brain and liked the contrast of supporting a team others were envious of, the types that were not followers or blenders.

Getting our ground to a modern day standard and surrounding the place with a professional modern day look about it that is well run is where it all starts, build the empire up again, target the right demographics fan wise and build the envious brand from the bottom up.

Manly wont survive being an average toiler club that relies on cap handouts alone---there are plenty of other clubs to support who fit that bill.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8