Matt Ballin steps down

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Just goes to show that playing the game at the highest level does not translate to being a good coach. Some coaches of successful teams in other codes never played the games they are coaching. Its a totally different skill and has nothing to do with the ability to play the game..

Watched the Illawarra SG Ball side that beat us get flogged by Tweed in the National final.There’s a centre in that Tweed side that is an absolute total star Xavier Coates and he’s signed to the broncos. Talk about a man among boys.Best junior outside back I’ve seen for years.
Ironic that the Tweed side is actually a NSW side too but play in the Qld comp.

ISC Rep side also flogged the Canterbury Cup Rep side.

Who do people truly believe could be the next ‘Hasler’ as in former Manly great to emulate and pass on the Manly greatness as a first grade Coach?

Michael Monnas will go down as one of my favourite people to be involved with the Manly club but despite my favouritism I cannot claim him to me a Manly ‘legend’ or ‘great’ like other former players.

Wonder whose the most likely next Hasler..?
Looking at the training pictures I think Monnas may be being prepared as Des’s replacement. If so we will probably see him replace Cartwright as assistant over the next couple of years. Don’t mind at all as he was an intelligent player.

If Des solidifies this squad, he could be here for another 20 years like Bennett was with the Broncos.

The initial Broncos squad could not be replicated by Bennett though.:shake:

I feel that Des has a real chance to win a few more Manly premierships building up this new core group :happy:

He doesn't look it but Des is nearly 60... another 20 years might be a stretch!

We have seemingly made great organisational improvements recently, but there is also no guarantee that the club will not eventually fall back into the same type of dysfunction and misguided decisions that caused Hasler to quit in the first place.

I genuinely think we are about to hit our window for premiership #9 soon. Let's win that first and hope the rest will sort itself out.

We have seemingly made great organisational improvements recently, but there is also no guarantee that the club will not eventually fall back into the same type of dysfunction and misguided decisions that caused Hasler to quit in the first place.

I genuinely think we are about to hit our window for premiership #9 soon. Let's win that first and hope the rest will sort itself out.
Bennett is 69, so Des has 9 years to get 6 more to beat the old bastard :D

Who do people truly believe could be the next ‘Hasler’ as in former Manly great to emulate and pass on the Manly greatness as a first grade Coach?

Michael Monnas will go down as one of my favourite people to be involved with the Manly club but despite my favouritism I cannot claim him to me a Manly ‘legend’ or ‘great’ like other former players.

George Rose

Looking at the training pictures I think Monnas may be being prepared as Des’s replacement. If so we will probably see him replace Cartwright as assistant over the next couple of years. Don’t mind at all as he was an intelligent player.
Would also like to see Gifty come back to the club. One of our best in the last 2 decades and was a very intelligent player as well. I could see him partnering Monas as assistant at some point in the future.

I'd love to see Matty be the water boy :giggle:

giphy.gif
Looked at this post and had to scroll up to see who posted it. Sorry @niccipops but I was wrong;+)

Monna's has done a fair bit of coaching in super league. He coached Catalans Dragons for a while. He's had a few gigs as assistant coach. I reckon you're right - groom him as a Des assistant..

The initial Broncos squad could not be replicated by Bennett though.:shake:

There is a fairly simple explanation for that though.

After the other Qld sides came into the NRL, as well as Melbourne, the Drongos no longer get first and just about only choice of the best junior talent coming out of Qld. Those kids coming through have other options now.

Back in the 90s, playing for Brisbane was almost a guarantee for Origin selection. Not any more, and their results over the past 20 years (just 2 GF's for 1 premiership) reflect that.

Last edited:
  • 🤝
Reactions: R3
Imagine for a moment the sexes in this reversed and how much trouble I'd be in for posting it

The world is awful right now
I do get your point.
It's a pretty tame gif though. I'm sure the female Silvertails on here would not be up in arms if similar, mild content was reversed.
Here's one for you Cherry P. :p
PlumpSnoopyLangur-size_restricted.gif

Des just turned 58, nearly 60 is a bit premature, he still has nearly 2 years left in his 50's to be fair.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
9 6 3 57 14
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10