• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
The mail seems to be getting stronger he may move on to allow us to keep the big names. Would hate to lose him, mind you I say that about quite a few of them

IMO he is quite an important cog in our side these days, especially coming out of our own end with his strong running and also lifting the side with a hit when needed. Have enjoyed watching the bloke grow from a very, very raw player into what he has become the past couple of years.

He has already turned down bigger offers last year to stay with us, and the passion in him was clear to see after we won the GF last season. He is certainly a guy I would hate to see playing against us after mentioning some of the above

I have got to agree Kiwi. We haven't had any thrust from the play the ball or in the centres since he's not been there. I would still like to think we could keep him, and use him as a drawcard from NZ.

I'm still hopeful of keeping Matai with the imminent increase in the cap.

I think we all underestimate the appeal of playing in a winning side as well. Can you imagine giving your guts every week and getting beaten. That would get old real fast.

simon64 said:
I'm still hopeful of keeping Matai with the imminent increase in the cap.

I think we all underestimate the appeal of playing in a winning side as well. Can you imagine giving your guts every week and getting beaten. That would get old real fast.

I would prefer Matai to stay.

Kiwi Eagle said:
The mail seems to be getting stronger he may move on to allow us to keep the big names. Would hate to lose him, mind you I say that about quite a few of them

And that's an understatement. Yes, we've certainly seen him develop over the years at Manly and IS an important cog we can ill-afford to lose.

I still can't believe he's going to be released as I was under the impression his contract expires end 2013 or 2014 (??) and IMO we should be releasing other players rather than him - namely Lussick and Rose and, I hate to say, Joe as well.

I for one will be devastated if Stevie goes this year.

Matai deserves a big paycheck, and if he is to go, then thank you Steve for staying for less money. Can't imagine him in any other jumper than the Manly one.

We are much more dangerous in attack with Matai on the paddock, always draws a couple of defenders.
Would hate to see him go. A must keep IMO.

Nooooo not Matai. It really sucks that we may lose some club favourites. Would hate to be the one making the decisions.

He has been one of our best for a really long time. Love to see Unleash unleash. Whare is learning but if Steve did go we seem to have one of a similar mould coming in.

Matai gives 100% even with the horrendous injuries he has carried for so long. Just having him take the field, focuses the opposition on him:p

Any 2008 GF winner should be given the courtesy of a refusal - if they want to go, then bless them in their new venture, otherwise find a way to keep them.

That 2008 Team of oldies, unknowns and unwanteds showed what desire to win against against the odds (or is it odds * 2 of the cheating Scum) is - the Manly Culture was cemented in history. :heart:

So who do you lose?

Foran
Ballin
Brett
or Matai?

Assuming we are going to lose Darcy as well

I would hate to see him go but would rather we kept Brett, Ballin and Foz

Oh how we have missed Matai over the last couple of weeks, I believe we would have won last week if he had been in the team.
I love that the majority of people are applauding cronk for staying at the scum for less money. Well why wont our players stay at Manly for less money, surely it Manly should have a similar appeal.

MissKate said:
I love that the majority of people are applauding cronk for staying at the scum for less money. Well why wont our players stay at Manly for less money, surely it Manly should have a similar appeal.

A report in the Herald today says Cronk actually DID sign with the Titans first but got cold feet and backed out, so perhaps he wasn't quite as selfless as they're making out.
But yes, as Choc keeps saying, the boys probably will stay for less money, as long as it's not substantially less.

May as well say what I think and cop a few sprays as opposed to sitting on the fence.
I would prefer to keep Matai and T-Rex and let Foran go....my reasons being, Matai is a dead set gun centre who puts fear into opposition players.
T-Rex will be almost impossible to replace and really gives our aging forward pack some grunt.

Foran is a champion half (5/8) no doubt, but we've already have just re signed one of the best halves in the game for big dollars and I don't think any club can afford the luxury of having 1.1 million dollars in the halves alone.

manlyborn said:
May as well say what I think and cop a few sprays as opposed to sitting on the fence.
I would prefer to keep Matai and T-Rex and let Foran go....my reasons being, Matai is a dead set gun centre who puts fear into opposition players.
T-Rex will be almost impossible to replace and really gives our aging forward pack some grunt.

Foran is a champion half (5/8) no doubt, but we've already have just re signed one of the best halves in the game for big dollars and I don't think any club can afford the luxury of having 1.1 million dollars in the halves alone.

Very tough decision, Gift could run the attack on Forans side should we lose him but Foran has a lot of years left in him and is just so competitive it must have a flow on effect to the other players. Glad it's not my call.

My favourite player is Matai, would like to see nothing more than him finish his career with us. I hope the club can actually work something out and the players themselves work with management to ensure they all stay together.

lsz said:
So who do you lose?

Foran
Ballin
Brett
or Matai?

Assuming we are going to lose Darcy as well

I would hate to see him go but would rather we kept Brett, Ballin and Foz

Dare I say it - Brett.

Unfortunately 1 or 2 have to go.

To pick which.. is obviously the hard part.. they are all great players but we cant replace them with anyone on mega bucks either.

So we have to look to our juniors.

If you let go:

Brett Stewart - Gutherson? Is he ready? probably not. Must Keep.

Tony Williams - Fabian Goodall (Sp) is T Rex 2 supposedly. Few other forwards we have... same impact? probably not. Keep.

Ballin - Liam Foran? Higgins? Maybe. Ballin is a tackling machine but probably more replaceable than we think.

Matai - Whare. Ready made replacement. Not as good yet.. but thats why hes cheap. Sad but Logical.

G Stewart - Buhrer in a few years.. however we must keep him.

K Foran - Riccardi. Kid has plenty of wraps. Melbourne seem to get by with decent 5/8's over the years... we maybe dont need to keep him.

Matai Ballin and Foran seem the most logical. Depends on how much we need to shred. George Rose, Lussick, possibly Kite to England before we lose any.

We did have a ready made replacment for Matai, but he's already gone. Young Hoppa. Whare has been playing pretty well, but he can't yet bring to the table what Matai does.

That being said, surely someone will get forced out.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7