Matai free to play

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Matabele

Journey Man
Steve Matai has been cleared of a headbutt by the NRL Judiciary.

MataiI was facing a two-week suspension for an alleged headbutt but successfully argued that he did not intentionally make contact with his head and he was not the aggressor in the incident.

Matai argued he was bracing for contact when he lowered his head toward Heighington in their scuffle.

After a 40-minute hearing the NRL Judiciary panel took about five minutes to find Matai not guilty of the contrary conduct charge.

Same bloke that got Lyon off on the technicality.

Seems like he knows what he was doing.

Considering Matai was as guilty as sin with that headbutt.

I haven't seen the replay (didn't notice it at the ground), but fLIP, eveyone else is saying that calling it a headbutt is a stretch. Don't be soft.

There was no contact, you dont get a charge when a swinging arm misses a players head. The correct decision was made.

It was a headbutt by the strictest definition, he leant in trying to make contact using his head, but it was slow and soft and didnt really mean much

I have no doubt he had a brain explosion and led with his head but there was no connection that I could see.

I like the defence used by Bellew. He avoided contesting the actuality of the contrary conduct charge
(ie the headbutt ), & instead successfully argued that wether contact occurred or not, Mattai simply reflexed by bracing for impact. Such an argument proposes the dual themes, that there was no headbutt at all even if there was contact and neither was there harmful intent as the contact (if any at all) was self preservation rather than aggression. :clap:

It was a headbutt by the strictest definition, he leant in trying to make contact using his head, but it was slow and soft and didnt really mean much
Thats how Maori's shake hands, Matai was just being a good sport.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4