Game Day: Manly v Warriors [Round 13, 2020]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Game Information

Sea Eagles
Vs
Warriors
22 Lottoland
07 Aug 2020 18:00
80th minute

Match Stats

Sea Eagles Player Statistics

# Player T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT/IT Pos DR H/M K/M AR/M E P
1 B.Elliot 0 0 0 0 3 0 6 1/0 28 0 0/0m 0/0m 18/162m 0 1
2 J.Taufua 1 4 0 1 2 0 3 0/0 14 0 0/0m 0/0m 14/105m 1 2
3 T.Funa 1 4 1 1 0 1 15 1/1 9 0 0/0m 0/0m 5/52m 0 0
4 M.Suli 1 4 0 1 3 0 7 0/1 12 0 1/8m 0/0m 11/105m 0 0
5 R.Garrick 0 6 0 0 0 0 7 0/0 10 0 0/0m 1/37m 9/75m 0 0
6 C.Cust 0 0 1 1 3 0 20 0/1 39 1 0/0m 6/168m 12/84m 0 1
7 D.Cherry-Evans 0 0 1 1 0 1 16 1/0 73 2 0/0m 13/400m 14/98m 0 1
8 A.Fonua-Blake 0 0 0 0 0 0 11 0/2 4 0 4/35m 0/0m 4/35m 0 0
9 D.Levi 0 0 0 0 0 1 28 3/0 82 8 0/0m 0/0m 8/76m 0 0
10 M.Taupau 0 0 0 0 2 2 34 1/0 15 0 10/91m 0/0m 12/93m 0 1
13 J.Trbojevic 0 0 0 0 0 1 43 0/0 33 0 15/114m 0/0m 23/161m 0 1
14 L.Croker 0 0 0 0 1 1 19 2/0 46 2 0/0m 1/64m 3/16m 1 0
15 C.Waddell 0 0 1 0 1 1 35 1/0 15 0 5/45m 0/0m 11/77m 0 3
16 S.Keppie 0 0 0 0 0 0 13 0/1 8 0 4/34m 0/0m 7/55m 0 0
17 T.Paseka 0 0 0 0 4 1 24 2/1 18 0 12/110m 0/0m 19/176m 0 0
18 H.Olakau'atu 1 4 0 1 4 0 31 2/0 12 0 5/40m 0/0m 12/119m 1 0
20 M.Boyle 0 0 0 0 0 0 17 1/0 7 0 5/43m 0/0m 7/66m 0 0

Warriors Player Statistics

# Player T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT/IT Pos DR H/M K/M AR/M E P
1 R.Tuivasa-Sheck 0 0 0 0 3 1 11 1/0 40 4 0/0m 0/0m 22/204m 1 1
2 P.Herbert 2 10 0 1 0 0 1 0/1 25 0 1/7m 0/0m 19/142m 0 2
3 A.Pompey 0 0 1 0 0 0 15 4/0 10 1 0/0m 0/0m 8/68m 0 0
4 P.Hiku 1 4 1 0 1 2 11 2/2 24 0 0/0m 1/15m 13/102m 1 1
5 G.Jennings 1 4 0 1 3 0 4 3/0 15 2 0/0m 0/0m 15/148m 0 0
6 K.Nikorima 0 2 2 0 0 1 17 3/0 41 1 0/0m 16/536m 6/33m 0 2
7 C.Harris-Tavita 0 2 1 0 1 1 32 3/1 45 0 0/0m 6/213m 4/25m 1 0
8 J.Taunoa-Brown 0 0 0 0 1 0 22 2/1 8 0 6/52m 0/0m 8/67m 0 0
9 K.Lawton 0 0 0 0 2 1 40 0/1 73 5 0/0m 1/1m 6/46m 1 0
10 J.Hetherington 0 0 0 0 2 0 29 2/1 10 0 5/51m 0/0m 7/66m 1 2
11 E.Katoa 1 4 0 0 0 0 20 1/1 3 0 1/9m 0/0m 2/18m 0 0
12 T.Harris 0 0 0 0 0 0 41 0/1 25 0 13/111m 0/0m 20/177m 0 0
13 J.Tevaga 0 0 0 1 0 0 37 0/1 23 0 11/95m 0/0m 16/126m 1 0
14 W.Egan 0 0 0 0 0 0 18 0/1 35 1 0/0m 0/0m 1/11m 0 0
15 A.Blair 0 0 0 0 2 0 17 2/2 8 0 7/66m 0/0m 8/85m 0 0
16 D.Alvaro 0 0 0 0 0 0 26 1/0 4 0 4/38m 0/0m 4/38m 0 0
17 L.Burr 0 0 0 0 0 0 24 3/1 8 0 5/43m 0/0m 8/63m 0 0
From Post #1:

FULL TIME SCORE

Manly: 22
Warriors: 26

Team Victory Song: ... Not Tonight.

c620536e7a3a92d0858c6791b2d697cf.gif

Pressers:

Post Match Interviews: TBA

Match Report:

Match Highlights:

Manly Tries:

Game Pics:

Press Articles:
(Scroll past the Rabbits/Broncos bits)

Last edited:
Wasn’t just the last 5 minutes.
Their linespeed was good from the get go but all night it seemed like we were back 15m and they were back 5m.
It was magnified by Levi always stepping forward before passing too.
Levi has ruined us

great post. Distilles my scattershot ramblings perfectly.
Mostly agree but Eliot is not as safe as it seems - he's not quick enough for our up and in defence when other teams get around us. The whole comp can see this and now we are sitting ducks. Eliot is so stoked with himself for just catching the ball he can't actually do anything else.
Players that should be banned from wearing a manly jersey: eliot, taufua, levi, croker, waddell . at the very least

My heart sank watching the first play of the game! Zero awareness or urgency from the players around DCE to keep him in the field. We were starved of the ball and in reality never recovered from that initial lackadaisical moment.
Our players tried hard but never looked well organised, in attack or defence.

It occurred to me that when the Storm used to have a 'big 3', they would still be formidable if one was missing. We had 2 of ours in DCE and Jake yet did not look remotely formidable!

My heart sank watching the first play of the game! Zero awareness or urgency from the players around DCE to keep him in the field. We were starved of the ball and in reality never recovered from that initial lackadaisical moment.
Our players tried hard but never looked well organised, in attack or defen

It occurred to me that when the Storm used to have a 'big 3', they would still be formidable if one was missing. We had 2 of ours in DCE and Jake yet did not look remotely formidable!
To me that first play was a symptom of how out of sorts our team is. After last week you wanted to see a reaction and hope that they start on the front foot. Not dealing with a kick off and surrendering the ball meant that we were up against it and before we knew it, scoreboard says 0-16. You are dead right, attention to detail is everything in this game and we were on the wrong foot from that moment forward in this match!

Just don"t seem to have the footy smarts right now either , especially with just too much one dimensional and wrong optional attack . Even in the closing stages and Manly well within reach of jaging a win , just seemed to concentrate and direct the attacking plays down the less effective side Full credit to the Warriors , really put in for the full eighty and played with plenty of spirit and a good degree of skill . Can "t say that Manly lacked the commitment , terrible start and tried to hang in there but finding ti hard to put a complete and consistent full eighty together , Great input from Haumole , Marty back to what he does best , Paseka again a stand out . Time for young Hoppa to come into the mix , not sure if Schuster can be accommodated also but can not be too far away from serious consideration surely .

Our players tried hard but never looked well organised, in attack or defence.

Melbourne had a number of quality back line players over the period those three were playing. Folau, Inglis, Munster, Matt King, Chambers, Blake Green, Chris Walker, Steve Bell etc at different times in the Big Three's career. They had far stronger back lines than Manly has today. Easy to be formidable when you have such players outside you. The reality is that Melbourne have never been just a three man team. They have had some of the best around them.

Two weeks in a row that we f... up the first possession. How the hell do you explain that - we are really a dumb football team at the moment ! Plus 3 restarts in first 5 minutes conceded ! We had the ball for one tackle in first 8 minutes ! These guys are paid big money to CONCENTRATE but they have no idea really.
Hard to watch this anymore - only positive was the young guys , so Des bring them all in now.

I'm very concerned about our up and in style defence that Des loves (and has successfully executed for many seasons). If it's going to be successful it really relies on line speed which requires domination in the ruck - something we simply aren't doing. Without line speed our players are a step off and our edges are exposed.

The speed of the ruck since the rule change might have left our team behind. However, if you look at the good teams defensively they hit hard and tackle in numbers (often 3 players). With our compressed middle you would expect us to accomplish the same. Instead its too often the case the opposition forwards are getting one on one, being tackled low with a late guy coming over the top and rolling straight through us. We are panicking and giving away set restarts as a result.

I know Elliot isn't great, but we could get away with him just catching bombs if the rest of the team was good enough. However, his kick returns are the worst I've seen, he can't pass or break tackles in set plays and is never supporting the big guys when they get an arm free. Not good enough. He should be following Paseka around like a bad smell.

Jorge has become a liability in kick defence and the opposition are scoring too often down his side from kicks. I don't think the defensive lapses are his fault, he is just following the edge defenders in. On the 5th near the line he needs to stay out on the opposition winger and only look to jam in if they are committed to running it.

Funa was great last night other than the one lapse which allowed Hiku to get around him. He was really committed in defence, hit hard and looked polished with the ball in hand. I would like to see him look for some more work, especially when we are down on troops. If he could work on a good dummy half carry with some speed out of trouble he should lock down a spot.

Waddel's mistakes were bad. What was worse was the lack of work he got through, especially after AFB went down. He should have been looking for more carries to help get us out of trouble. He only look half committed on his runs and didn't hit any holes. I don't know if he has got what it takes to play on the edge - he looks lost.

I've made my feelings on Jake's poor form known elsewhere. I hope he can turn it around. Guac looks like he could be a gun. I really like what I saw. Perhaps he could play lock with Jake moving to prop while AFB is out and provide some defensive starch and determined running in the middle. If not, he has to get good minutes on the field on an edge somehow.

I wish Paseka would stop putting a step on just before the line, it kills his momentum. He needs to either run hard and straight between defenders (or isolate a half or small man) or get the ball a bit deeper and wider - if he does step he should do it early in his run to gain momentum at the line ALA Taumalolo. I really like how he is coming on though.

Boyle also looked good while he was on the park last night. Falls on his guts well for speedy play the balls.

I'm no Levi fan but his service was pretty good last night. His tackling is not great though and he allows far too fast play the balls or gives away a penalty too often. He could do with some help.

I think we can turn it around, even before Turbo gets back. Maybe it is time to run Hoppa, but if we don't we really need to sort out our defence with the lack of points we will score with Elliot at fullback.

I'm very concerned about our up and in style defence that Des loves (and has successfully executed for many seasons). If it's going to be successful it really relies on line speed which requires domination in the ruck - something we simply aren't doing. Without line speed our players are a step off and our edges are exposed.

The speed of the ruck since the rule change might have left our team behind. However, if you look at the good teams defensively they hit hard and tackle in numbers (often 3 players). With our compressed middle you would expect us to accomplish the same. Instead its too often the case the opposition forwards are getting one on one, being tackled low with a late guy coming over the top and rolling straight through us. We are panicking and giving away set restarts as a result.

I know Elliot isn't great, but we could get away with him just catching bombs if the rest of the team was good enough. However, his kick returns are the worst I've seen, he can't pass or break tackles in set plays and is never supporting the big guys when they get an arm free. Not good enough. He should be following Paseka around like a bad smell.

Jorge has become a liability in kick defence and the opposition are scoring too often down his side from kicks. I don't think the defensive lapses are his fault, he is just following the edge defenders in. On the 5th near the line he needs to stay out on the opposition winger and only look to jam in if they are committed to running it.

Funa was great last night other than the one lapse which allowed Hiku to get around him. He was really committed in defence, hit hard and looked polished with the ball in hand. I would like to see him look for some more work, especially when we are down on troops. If he could work on a good dummy half carry with some speed out of trouble he should lock down a spot.

Waddel's mistakes were bad. What was worse was the lack of work he got through, especially after AFB went down. He should have been looking for more carries to help get us out of trouble. He only look half committed on his runs and didn't hit any holes. I don't know if he has got what it takes to play on the edge - he looks lost.

I've made my feelings on Jake's poor form known elsewhere. I hope he can turn it around. Guac looks like he could be a gun. I really like what I saw. Perhaps he could play lock with Jake moving to prop while AFB is out and provide some defensive starch and determined running in the middle. If not, he has to get good minutes on the field on an edge somehow.

I wish Paseka would stop putting a step on just before the line, it kills his momentum. He needs to either run hard and straight between defenders (or isolate a half or small man) or get the ball a bit deeper and wider - if he does step he should do it early in his run to gain momentum at the line ALA Taumalolo. I really like how he is coming on though.

Boyle also looked good while he was on the park last night. Falls on his guts well for speedy play the balls.

I'm no Levi fan but his service was pretty good last night. His tackling is not great though and he allows far too fast play the balls or gives away a penalty too often. He could do with some help.

I think we can turn it around, even before Turbo gets back. Maybe it is time to run Hoppa, but if we don't we really need to sort out our defence with the lack of points we will score with Elliot at fullback.

All good points but let’s face it we are dusted for 2020.

We might ( agree that’s a might) not have our front line props and second rowers plus our front line 9,6,1 for next week, potentially 7 of our best players.

It could get very bloody ugly over the next month.

Thank **** I’m going Bush for 3 weeks on Wednesday ( and maybe that’s a good thing ),

**** this year has been shxt. On top of all the other **** going on watching Manly play each week is like asking for extra **** on a foot long **** sandwich. **** sandwiches don't taste that good and I don't want to eat anymore.

My heart sank watching the first play of the game! Zero awareness or urgency from the players around DCE to keep him in the field.

you can watch that first 10 seconds til the cows come home......it was Garricks ball.....

let Garrick take it and then we win the game........@;)

Last edited:
All good points but let’s face it we are dusted for 2020.

We might ( agree that’s a might) not have our front line props and second rowers plus our front line 9,6,1 for next week, potentially 7 of our best players.

It could get very bloody ugly over the next month.

Thank **** I’m going Bush for 3 weeks on Wednesday ( and maybe that’s a good thing ),
Thank fk for that best news I have heard in the past 2 weeks.
Boys, Get ready for a Manly resurgence

** this year has been shxt. On top of all the other ** going on watching Manly play each week is like asking for extra ** on a foot long ** sandwich. **** sandwiches don't taste that good and I don't want to eat anymore.

Felt the same, but all good, didn't you hear, Marks going Bush .

I can cop a loss, but I can't stand this one or 2 off BS in attack, for 5 tackles then a medium length grubber every set. Regardless of outs. We have looked relatively dangerous on the very few times we actually pass wider yet we only do it rarely.FMD
So boring, so predictable.

Melbourne had a number of quality back line players over the period those three were playing. Folau, Inglis, Munster, Matt King, Chambers, Blake Green, Chris Walker, Steve Bell etc at different times in the Big Three's career. They had far stronger back lines than Manly has today. Easy to be formidable when you have such players outside you. The reality is that Melbourne have never been just a three man team. They have had some of the best around them.

Chris Walker played 7 games for the Storm. I had to check to see if he actually played for them. Folau and Inglis were part of a massive salary cap breach. Unlike our top three, Cronk, Slater and Smith were very durable and their performances hardly varied from week to week. Bellamy also seems to get the most out of discarded players from other clubs, or QLD Cup. If I was a player, from the outside looking in, I certainly would not like to screw up with Scam next to me on the field and Bellamy in the stands.

From Post #1:

FULL TIME SCORE

Manly: 22
Warriors: 26

Team Victory Song: ... Not Tonight.

c620536e7a3a92d0858c6791b2d697cf.gif

Pressers:

Post Match Interviews: TBA

Match Report:

Match Highlights:

Manly Tries:

Game Pics: TBA

Press Articles:
(Scroll past the Rabbits/Broncos bits)

Same old stuff in the presser. The worry there is one, I thought he should’ve mentioned how well Gauca and Funa did. And I was hoping that he might’ve mentioned giving more of the kids a go. But you just know it’s going to be more of the same shiit team selections. If he doesn’t play Gauca in the 17 next week, he can get fuked.

Chris Walker played 7 games for the Storm. I had to check to see if he actually played for them. Folau and Inglis were part of a massive salary cap breach. Unlike our top three, Cronk, Slater and Smith were very durable and their performances hardly varied from week to week. Bellamy also seems to get the most out of discarded players from other clubs, or QLD Cup. If I was a player, from the outside looking in, I certainly would not like to screw up with Scam next to me on the field and Bellamy in the stands.

Moops, I was giving them as examples, mate. I was trying to get across that the Storm has always had a healthy squad. Whether they breached the salary cap, or exploited TPAs is irrelevant, because its the outcome on the field I am talking about. I could rattle off a number of other names, especially in the forwards, but that is really unnecessary, if you've paid close attention to the players they have had over the years, above and beyond the big three. They've never had a team as pedestrian as Manly has had in the last few years.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2