Game Day: Manly v Tigers [Round 17, 2020]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Game Information

Sea Eagles
Vs
Wests Tigers
32 Lottoland
05 Sep 2020 17:30
80th minute

Match Stats

Sea Eagles Player Statistics

# Player T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT/IT Pos DR H/M K/M AR/M E P
1 T.Funa 1 4 0 1 3 0 1 1/0 24 0 0/0m 0/0m 13/78m 0 2
2 J.Taufua 1 4 0 1 1 0 1 1/0 3 0 1/9m 0/0m 3/21m 0 0
3 B.Parker 0 0 0 0 0 0 6 3/2 10 0 0/0m 0/0m 5/50m 0 2
4 A.Hopoate 0 0 0 0 4 0 4 2/0 13 0 0/0m 0/0m 8/51m 0 0
7 D.Cherry-Evans 0 8 4 0 0 1 13 3/0 70 0 0/0m 9/433m 11/67m 0 0
8 A.Fonua-Blake 0 0 0 0 2 2 18 3/0 18 0 7/83m 0/0m 14/174m 0 0
9 D.Levi 0 0 1 0 0 0 25 4/1 88 4 0/0m 2/16m 5/37m 0 1
10 M.Taupau 0 0 1 0 3 1 19 2/0 16 0 8/82m 0/0m 14/145m 0 1
11 J.Gosiewski 1 4 0 0 1 3 10 4/0 14 0 3/22m 0/0m 11/65m 1 0
12 C.Sironen 0 0 0 0 1 3 25 3/0 24 0 5/43m 0/0m 21/135m 0 0
13 J.Trbojevic 1 4 0 1 1 1 30 2/1 26 0 1/7m 1/2m 5/40m 0 0
14 L.Croker 0 0 0 0 1 0 7 1/0 24 1 0/0m 0/0m 2/21m 0 0
15 C.Waddell 0 0 0 0 2 2 17 1/1 11 0 3/25m 0/0m 9/70m 0 0
16 S.Keppie 0 0 0 0 0 0 15 0/1 4 0 3/27m 0/0m 4/36m 0 0
17 T.Paseka 0 0 0 0 0 1 11 2/0 9 0 4/25m 0/0m 8/61m 0 0
18 J.Schuster 0 0 0 0 0 1 12 0/0 19 0 0/0m 6/101m 8/62m 0 0
19 M.Harper 2 8 0 2 8 1 17 3/3 16 0 1/6m 0/0m 12/111m 0 2

Wests Tigers Player Statistics

# Player T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT/IT Pos DR H/M K/M AR/M E P
1 M.Mbye 1 4 1 1 0 0 4 0/1 30 0 0/0m 3/96m 9/74m 0 2
2 D.Nofoaluma 3 12 0 2 9 1 2 1/0 31 0 1/9m 0/0m 17/153m 0 1
3 J.Leilua 0 0 2 0 3 1 8 1/0 15 0 1/10m 0/0m 6/64m 2 2
4 A.Doueihi 2 18 0 1 5 2 8 6/3 12 3 0/0m 0/0m 9/93m 0 0
5 A.Kepaoa 0 0 0 0 7 1 5 3/0 12 0 0/0m 0/0m 11/85m 0 0
6 B.Marshall 0 0 1 0 0 1 15 1/2 39 0 0/0m 6/138m 6/22m 1 1
7 L.Brooks 0 0 2 0 2 0 20 2/4 45 0 0/0m 6/112m 10/79m 0 0
8 J.Aloiai 0 0 0 0 0 0 17 0/2 12 0 8/68m 0/0m 10/89m 0 1
9 H.Grant 0 0 0 1 1 1 37 2/3 76 5 0/0m 0/0m 12/107m 1 0
10 T.Mikaele 0 0 0 0 0 0 13 1/0 3 0 1/18m 0/0m 2/25m 2 0
11 L.Garner 0 0 0 0 0 1 33 4/5 12 0 3/19m 0/0m 11/63m 0 2
12 L.Leilua 0 0 0 0 1 1 30 5/2 10 0 1/10m 0/0m 5/43m 1 1
13 A.Twal 0 0 0 0 3 0 23 0/3 10 0 7/70m 0/0m 9/88m 0 0
14 M.Eisenhuth 0 0 0 0 0 1 28 0/0 8 0 2/15m 0/0m 7/68m 0 0
15 E.Taylor 0 0 0 0 0 0 13 1/1 6 0 3/26m 0/0m 5/42m 0 0
16 J.Liddle 0 0 0 0 1 0 1 1/0 22 1 0/0m 0/0m 2/19m 0 0
17 S.McIntyre 0 0 0 0 3 0 16 0/1 7 0 5/50m 0/0m 7/63m 0 0
The Sea Eagles coach refused to blame yet another injury .....
That is the way it should be
This way you make the players that take the field accountable

No excuses for Hasler despite another Manly injury
AuthorTroy WhittakerNRL.com Reporter

Des Hasler best summed up Manly's 34-32 defeat to Wests Tigers on Saturday: "We had that game won 10 times over but we found 11 ways to lose it".

The Sea Eagles coach refused to blame yet another injury – a torn calf suffered by winger Jorge Taufua in the 31st minute – on the team's capitulation at Lottoland.
They led 20-6 midway through the opening term and had a 10-point buffer with eight minutes to go, but two late Tigers tries stole the result.

"It's one we should have won, no matter how many excuses you make," Hasler said.

"Sure, we had a couple of debutants which freshened it up, we lost players, but still … We just panicked. We didn't need to panic but we did."

Hasler expected Taufua to miss the remaining three games, joining the likes of Reuben Garrick, Moses Suli, Brendan Elliot, Dylan Walker, Joel Thompson and Tom Trbojevic in the casualty ward.

Fullback Trbojevic is hoping to return before the season ends despite Manly being out of finals contention.

"I don't think we've got through the last six games without losing an outside back. [But we] should still find a way to win," Hasler said.

It wasn't all doom and gloom, with rookies Josh Schuster and Morgan Harper impressing. Schuster was on NRL debut while Harper played for Canterbury last season.

Schuster, a 105kg five-eighth, was solid - a highlight being his no-look pass in the lead-up to an early try - until severe cramps forced him off after 65 minutes.

Hasler believes the robust No.6, who is the nephew of former Knights and All Blacks player John Schuster, could be a future star.

"For his first game, I thought he acquitted himself really well, as did Morgan Harper," Hasler said.

"[Schuster] is going to leave an impression on the game and I thought he did that today."

Centre Harper bagged a double including a try in the fourth minute.

The point showed with Schuster and Harper that they made a difference in the backline and should have been there a lot earlier.

I know Des is being careful but this has been a serious mistake on his part to persist with players not up to scratch while kids like these two sit on the side line and end up underdone because of lack of game play. Not having the Reggies makes it hard, but he should have adapted. Metcalf is another example unused and even Burbo could have benefitted from a few games off the bench. The same also applies with Hopoate. If he had brought them through much earlier as so many on this site have been arguing, this season may not have ended in such a rabble.

All Des had to do was bring each on through the bench to get game time without having a full game straight off and they would have been match fit. Its not good enough for a top line coach to err in this manner, especially one with such a glowing reputation. I really hope Des has a good look at his performance over the off season, and shows some of the initiative he showed 10 years back, because its not just injuries that have brought this team down.

I know this sounds like an amateur telling a professional his job, but there are a lot of amateurs on this site who could see the errors. Its almost like he was too scared to take the risk in case of losing his reputation and in the end its done just that. He should have learned that at the Dogs. As has been said, he needs to seriously rethink his tactics over the off season.

The point showed with Schuster and Harper that they made a difference in the backline and should have been there a lot earlier.

I know Des is being careful but this has been a serious mistake on his part to persist with players not up to scratch while kids like these two sit on the side line and end up underdone because of lack of game play. Not having the Reggies makes it hard, but he should have adapted. Metcalf is another example unused and even Burbo could have benefitted from a few games off the bench. The same also applies with Hopoate. If he had brought them through much earlier as so many on this site have been arguing, this season may not have ended in such a rabble.

All Des had to do was bring each on through the bench to get game time without having a full game straight off and they would have been match fit. Its not good enough for a top line coach to err in this manner, especially one with such a glowing reputation. I really hope Des has a good look at his performance over the off season, and shows some of the initiative he showed 10 years back, because its not just injuries that have brought this team down.

I know this sounds like an amateur telling a professional his job, but there are a lot of amateurs on this site who could see the errors. Its almost like he was too scared to take the risk in case of losing his reputation and in the end its done just that. He should have learned that at the Dogs. As has been said, he needs to seriously rethink his tactics over the off season.
You make some good points . I like your passionate post

How's THAT for soft? Tigers score 16 points in NINE minutes to steal victory from Sea Eagles
Wests Tigers have produced one of the most remarkable comebacks of the NRL season, scoring 16 points in a crazy nine minutes to steal victory from the hands of the Sea Eagles.
Manly looked certain to win until the Tigers scored three tries after the 70th minute to pinch victory.
Adam Doueihi scored two of those and knocked over two conversions, while winger David Nofoaluma bagged a hat-trick and also scored one of those three late tries.
The loss for Manly was compounded by a serious Achilles injury to veteran winger Jorge Taufua, while debutant playmaker Josh Schuster also left the field with bad cramp.

“We won that game 10 times over, but we found 11 ways to lose it,” Manly coach Des Hasler said.

“It’s one we should have won. No matter how many excuses you make... up by 14 points and by 10 at the end, you hang on.”

Tigers coach Michael Maguire was thrilled with the victory.

“Their belief got them the win. It’s great,” he said.

“I do see the resolve in the group, it’s just about being able to do it for long periods of time.”

Daly Cherry-Evans put young centre Morgan Harper over the stripe in the opening six minutes, and they backed it up with a shift left to put Jorge Taufua over soon after.

Cherry-Evans missed both the kicks from out wide and it was 8-0 after less than 11 minutes at Lottoland.

Teen debutant Josh Schuster had a hand in the second try.

The Tigers hit back with a freakish try to David Nofoaluma, assisted by Benji Marshall, and the Adam Doueihi kick from the sideline made it 8-6.

But the Sea Eagles took no time responding with a Jack Gosiewski try only minutes later to extend the lead.

Tevita Funa then crossed the stripe in the 29th minute and the conversion made it 20-6.

Manly then lost Danny Levi to a head injury assessment, and Jorge Taufua to an ankle injury.

The Tigers managed to hit the board again before half time when Joey Leilua produced a magical assist for Nofoaluma to get his second.

Doueihi’s conversion made it 20-12 at the break.

The Tigers were next to score, too, when Moses Mbye found the line in the 55th minute to make it 20-18.

The Sea Eagles staved off the comeback momentarily when Jake Trbojevic scored under the posts only minutes later.

Manly then lost debutant Schuster to injury but moments later Cherry-Evans put Harper over for his second and the score was 32-18.

Doueihi crossed the stripe in the corner in the 79th minute to ensure the Tigers were still in with a chance of running down their opponent.

They then produced some magic, setting up a great team try finished by Nofoaluma for his third.

They missed the kick but made it 32-28 with six minutes remaining.

Then with less than three minutes left on the clock Doueihi latched on to a Luke Brooks chip kick and scored, then kicked the conversion to steal the lead 32-34.

Told my daughter before the game we would need to be in front by 30 after 30 minutes so we don't get run down in the last minute. Due to the back inexperience and lack of match fitness.

But for FK sake, it was half in jest,I was really thinking that, how can we lose 14 points up with 11 to go...

Oh that's right we are stupid and play stupid. Everyone is yelling for speed speed speed, give me some brains and a zombie anyday

Well....

That was disappointing.

So... the last 12 hours:

Manly lose an unlosable game
Aust cricket team lose an unlosable T20 match
Canucks lose valiantly in game 7 against the #1 ranked western team and are out of the finals.

what a ****ing great ****ing weekend to be ****ing alive!

ps Happy fathers day you promiscuous buggers

Well....

That was disappointing.

So... the last 12 hours:

Manly lose an unlosable game
Aust cricket team lose an unlosable T20 match
Canucks lose valiantly in game 7 against the #1 ranked western team and are out of the finals.

what a ****ing great ****ing weekend to be ****ing alive!

ps Happy fathers day you promiscuous buggers
Look on the bright side GE, at least we've got some sport to watch! :)

For whatever it's worth:

SET RESTARTS

1st Half:

Manly: 3 - Tackle Number: 2, 2, 1
Tigers: 3 - Tackle Number: 1, 2, 3

2nd Half:

Manly: 1 - Tackle Number: 1
Tigers: 3 - Tackle Number: 1, 4, 1

GAME TOTAL:

Manly: 4
Tigers: 6

From Post#1

FULL TIME SCORE

Manly: 32
Tigers: 34

Team Victory Song:
c620536e7a3a92d0858c6791b2d697cf.gif

Pressers: TBA

Post Match Interviews:

Match Report:

Match Highlights:

Manly Tries:

Game Pics: TBA

Press Articles:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You know, I honestly don't know why people think DCE should be or can be a game manager. He never has been and never will be. He's the type of halfback who plays what's in front of him. He's at his best when we are on the front foot and he can get his running game going. But expecting him to be a game manager is just not his style of play and whenever he does do it, it always looks forced and it never seems to work. That's why he has always looked better when he's had that managing 5/8 next to him. Players like Foz and Blake Green.

Remember the 2014 Origin Series when he replaced Cronk? That Qld team over the years was basically run by Lockyer until he retired, Smith and Cronk, while Thurston was given free reign to use his talents. When Cronk broke his arm and DCE replaced him, Meninga had him playing Cronk's managing role and it didn't work. Even with Smith there he looked all at sea in that series. And its the same thing today with Manly.

DCE has never been and never will be the game managing type halfback. To expect otherwise is to set yourself up for failure. He needs a halves partner (and/or a hooker) who can carry that load for him so he can play his what's in front of him style.

Sea Eagles ahead in every stat except tackles missed (35 v 28), conversions (4 v. 5) & final score.
Heaps of those missed tackles were on the one play when wests went side to side and got their second last try. I recall hoppa falling off a critical one that would have stopped the play over on his side, then Parker fell off one over the other side.

Told my daughter before the game we would need to be in front by 30 after 30 minutes so we don't get run down in the last minute. Due to the back inexperience and lack of match fitness.

But for FK sake, it was half in jest,I was really thinking that, how can we lose 14 points up with 11 to go...

Oh that's right we are stupid and play stupid. Everyone is yelling for speed speed speed, give me some brains and a zombie anyday
You should have told Des!

You know, I honestly don't know why people think DCE should be or can be a game manager. He never has been and never will be. He's the type of halfback who plays what's in front of him. He's at his best when we are on the front foot and he can get his running game going. But expecting him to be a game manager is just not his style of play and whenever he does do it, it always looks forced and it never seems to work. That's why he has always looked better when he's had that managing 5/8 next to him. Players like Foz and Blake Green.

Remember the 2014 Origin Series when he replaced Cronk? That Qld team over the years was basically run by Lockyer until he retired, Smith and Cronk, while Thurston was given free reign to use his talents. When Cronk broke his arm and DCE replaced him, Meninga had him playing Cronk's managing role and it didn't work. Even with Smith there he looked all at sea in that series. And its the same thing today with Manly.

DCE has never been and never will be the game managing type halfback. To expect otherwise is to set yourself up for failure. He needs a halves partner (and/or a hooker) who can carry that load for him so he can play his what's in front of him style.
Exactly right and now the reason why we've had nothing but failure since he was resigned on that ridiculous over priced contract. Probably the biggest mistake Bob Fulton has ever made at this club and it's hog tied us for a decade. Then they back it up by throwing another $2mil at a slow plodder lock and a lame fullback. What else do they expect ,??? This is the result. FUKING insane.

Exactly right and now the reason why we've had nothing but failure since he was resigned on that ridiculous over priced contract. Probably the biggest mistake Bob Fulton has ever made at this club and it's hog tied us for a decade. Then they back it up by throwing another $2mil at a slow plodder lock and a lame fullback. What else do they expect ,??? This is the result. FUKING insane.

The problem with the length and size of DCE's contract and how it came to be that way has been done to death. We all know why the club ended up throwing everything including the kitchen sink at him and there was a lot more to it than just him wanting that money. A lot more. Remember, he was all set to sign the $750k offer they put in front of him until other factors that weren't of his doing saw the club pull that original offer. It was a big stuff up all round not helped by all the behind the scenes ownership crap that was going on between the Penn side and Quantum side. Decisions made badly affected the football side which saw us lose Gifty, Foz and Choc in basically one foul swoop and it caused a lot of disharmony, and caused a club legend (Tooves) to be treated very poorly.

The way I see it is if Schuster reaches the level I think he will over the next season, he'll be the player the game revolves around, leaving DCE to do what he does best

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6