Post-Game Discussion Manly v Storm [Round 7, 2023]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Game Information

Sea Eagles
Vs
Storm
18 4 Pines Park
14 Apr 2023 20:00
78:07 minute

Match Stats

Great win and congratulations to those that backed the team to win this week .We are on to round 8 and our team has not hit top gear yet .We knew what the boys can do after the preseason games and showed bits of what they can do in the first 7 rounds .Cannot wait when they put it all together and play consistently to keep everyone happy .Let's go Mannnnnnnly .

That last 30 seconds mayhem (2 points & sin bin) of the first half favouring the Storm should not have eventuated.

When Turbo got hit in the head & didn't lay down, at the end of that set the bunker should have got the referee to go back to the spot & give Manly a penalty and probably put the Storm player in the bin.

But even worse, when instead Storm trapped Manly in their own ingoal, the referee immediately called time off I think with 62 seconds to go. He ordered Tom to the head bin & put the Storm player on report. Then when DCE took the drop out, the clock had 60 seconds to go.

What happened to Manly being allowed 30 seconds run off on the clock to take the drop out? It should have been halftime well before Munster got whacked.

Instead Manly were further punished for Tom being hit on the head.
It has something in the rules for last 2 mins of the game

Wish the team played like that every week. Best performance in a long while. THe best for me because the score was tight they kept the enthusiasm in defense all game., the hits were insane and great to watch.

DCE had a dig.

Even Harper had a great game.

Does anyone know if the team was drug tested after the game? That could be a nervous wait.

That's what happens when the forwards play hard. Let's see if they can back it up next week against a team that will be hard to "fire up" for or if we go back to trying to play fancy.

Team on a mission last night and most importantly got that serious level of resilience back . Aiming up in defence , getting most of the reads right , some great touches emanating from D C E who was back to his S O O 2022 period club form . Not ideal that some of the attacking plays were still a bit disorganized , especially on the opposition "s line but the positive being that any more then manageable improvement there can really boost the side even more . Storm a bit down on form but generally a very hard side to beat and Manly really took it to them virtually all game to restrict their opportunities . A week can be a long time in footy outcome fluctuations but bounced back last night in a great manner . Jake "s energy and enthusiasm level is something else again , whole side deserves a wrap but really good to see Alioia going so much better , Saab showing some excellent touches also and in a really competitive and torrid type game and against a better pair of centres on paper , Harper and Parker having a real dig as well .

It has something in the rules for last 2 mins of the game
I not sure if that includes robbing teams of the 30 seconds they are allowed for a drop out.

I can only find the 2020 document and it says (page 21/28 pdf) time off is only in the last 5 minutes of the second half and its only talking about after points are scored and conversions.

It also says under 'drop out clock' (page 14/28) that if the referee calls time off, when he calls time on the drop out clock starts counting down.

Maybe the problem was DCE not realising once the referee called time back on, he could let the drop out clock burn some more seconds off the clock.

What the heck happened? I missed the game, expecting flood gates. What, did the Storm drop from a Cat. 5 to a -1. How did Johns go? Remarkable result. Congrats and as usual DCE stands up tall. Can never understand any suggestion that we should sell him off.

Really pleased with the win but on reflection, our attack was very clunky. Back in 2021 we’d have Turbo sweeping out the back, attracting attention. The multiple options this created was why, he along with Garrick and Saab all had over 20 tries each. Then there were the switch back/inside balls thru the centre of the ruck. I know it’s a different coaching group but where is that stuff?
Perhaps much of the attack is based around Schuster? Looking forward to hopefully having him back next week 🤞

Really pleased with the win but on reflection, our attack was very clunky. Back in 2021 we’d have Turbo sweeping out the back, attracting attention. The multiple options this created was why, he along with Garrick and Saab all had over 20 tries each. Then there were the switch back/inside balls thru the centre of the ruck. I know it’s a different coaching group but where is that stuff?
Perhaps much of the attack is based around Schuster? Looking forward to hopefully having him back next week 🤞
Think Johns and Weekes got a bit muddled with the plays at times.
That said Johns put in some really nice short kicks last night.
Hope we can have all four of our spine on the park next week.
Need to put in two really strong performances against Tigers and Titans and that will prepare us well for the Broncos at Suncorp.

Great to wake up proud and happy after a Manly win

That was a Character Building Win

Its was a win that we gained Credibility

And Now we strive for Consistency in Competing and Winning against the top Contenders

Not surprising is it? We are missing three of our starting backline......

Wish the team played like that every week. Best performance in a long while. THe best for me because the score was tight they kept the enthusiasm in defense all game., the hits were insane and great to watch.

DCE had a dig.

Even Harper had a great game.

Does anyone know if the team was drug tested after the game? That could be a nervous wait.
In saying that, to maintain that sort of intensity, every game is darn hard to achieve. But we know what we are capable of now and getting ourselves up for the really big games hopefully shouldn't be problem anymore.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8
8 4 4 -60 8