Post-Game Discussion Manly v Storm [Round 21, 2021]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Game Information

Sea Eagles
Vs
Storm
18 Suncorp Stadium
07 Aug 2021 19:35
80th minute

Match Stats

Absolutely.
Back in the good ol' days, the ABC did.
Either Nein think we want to be close to the action or we don't need to know - under the carpet
Yeah I always enjoyed the ABC coverage back in the day. I think Vossy used to do the commentary - I'd say around late eighties to early Nineties.

Much better, and more like you see live, but close enough so you know who is holding the ball.

NYEagle

We put ourselves in the position to win the game but shot ourselves in the foot. We only beat ourselves last night. I know we conceded 28 points, but for the amount of field territory and possession they had, a team like Melbourne should've put 50 on us. Tells you how good was our defence last night, I was so happy and confident when the halftime siren went off. To shut them down so many times, and then manage to go into the sheds all square, we really can beat this Melbourne team when we play them again in the finals. And people on here were really concerned about our defence, I knew we would aim up, the defence we've shown in the last month or so isn't a truthful depiction. We played those games like training runs and let complacency creep up and let those lesser teams put numbers on us. In the finals, I'm sure our defence will be polished up and ready for the top teams.

All their tries came from our errors whereas besides that intercept, how easy did we score points when we got our chance in their 20. It was shelling peas. Imagine if we had more ball down there. Also not to forget about the dodgy calls we had to deal with: Garrick getting kneed to the face late, Welch knocking the ball on so obviously, Brandon smith milking a penalty. It is whatever, I'm so proud of the boys and know that if we clean up those errors and learn how to not beat ourselves, when we eventually meet Melbourne again this year, we will beat them.

They were without NAS kafusi and Finucane. Next time will be different those 3 are rep players. What a team they have the a-holes

There’s no doubt that Bellamy is indeed a master coach at doing everything to the absolute minute degree to win every game.

They are constantly pushing boundaries, and it would seem for most of the time the referee doesn’t see this, take from that what you will.

In relation to them being favoured ( throughout a season ) I think this is drawing a long bow.

Let’s face it surely the NRL would prefer to see say the Eels win , or the Panthers win ( they still might ) as western Sydney is where they are in the biggest fight v AFL.

No I just think Bellamy has them trained to an inch of their lives and pushing every boundary , every tackle , every set of six , every minute of the game.

We actually led last night , against the team running first BUT not for long.

Yes I know the penalty count was against us AND the “ six again “ counts but when you look back honestly at the game we made too many errors, and that’s why we lost !!

They are incredibly well drilled with each player doing exactly what they have to do to win ( yes even diving).

That’s been the Storm ever since Bellamy arrived and why he’s paid millions each year to see them continue.

I thought the retirement of Smith , Slater , Cronk would bring them back to the pack , nup , hasn’t made an iota of difference.

Sad to say but Bellamy is by a country mile the “ best “ ( driven to succeed like no other ) in the competition.

I hate saying that , but you have to be honest with what you see !!

Credit too Melbourne. They don’t let up even after 16 wins in a row. Dce should learn from Munster’s short kicking game.
Melbourne play smart and are very well drilled. It’s more the system than individual players. It’s no wonder they average over one strip a game. We had success out wide, we just need our defence to hold and cut out errors.
Saab needs to get down lower with his goal line defence.

There’s no doubt that Bellamy is indeed a master coach at doing everything to the absolute minute degree to win every game.

They are constantly pushing boundaries, and it would seem for most of the time the referee doesn’t see this, take from that what you will.

In relation to them being favoured ( throughout a season ) I think this is drawing a long bow.

Let’s face it surely the NRL would prefer to see say the Eels win , or the Panthers win ( they still might ) as western Sydney is where they are in the biggest fight v AFL.

No I just think Bellamy has them trained to an inch of their lives and pushing every boundary , every tackle , every set of six , every minute of the game.

Yes I know the penalty count was against us AND the “ six again “ counts but when you look back honestly at the game we made too many errors, and that’s why we lost !!

They are incredibly well drilled with each player doing exactly what they have to do to win ( yes even diving).

That’s been the Storm ever since Bellamy arrived and why he’s paid millions each year to see them continue.

I thought the retirement of Smith , Slater , Cronk would bring them back to the pack , nup , hasn’t made an iota of difference.

Sad to say but Bellamy is by a country mile the “ best “ ( driven to succeed like no other ) in the competition.

It's impossible to argue against the obvious. Everything you say about Bellamy and the Storm is true. A class above. The best NRL system ever devised etc etc etc

It is not because of their outstanding results that I loathe and detest the Scum. Their success is well deserved. Unfortunately that success is based on a scummy culture of lowlife grubbiness, rorting, manipulation of officials, corruption at all levels and unethical behaviour as a club.

I hate everything about this club, it's players, coaches, supporters etc. **** them. Go Manly.

Imagine if he trained them that hard to just play footy and not

• slide into players faces with knees and or studs
  • wishbone a player
  • chicken wing a player
  • cannon ball a player
  • crusher a player, then once outlawed
  • train players to spin around and go down clutching their own necks.
- (and an honorable mention to skill at hiding numerous contracts and third part deals).

guy was a failure at soo and only decent in his cult lair.

No credit from me, ever. footy will be better off without him.

Imagine if he trained them that hard to just play footy and not

• slide into players faces with knees and or studs
  • wishbone a player
  • chicken wing a player
  • cannon ball a player
  • crusher a player, then once outlawed
  • train players to spin around and go down clutching their own necks.
- (and an honorable mention to skill at hiding numerous contracts and third part deals).

guy was a failure at soo and only decent in his cult lair.

No credit from me, ever. footy will be better off without him.
Bellamy's a dramatic contrast to Des. Even without my maroon and white glasses on I don't think that Des has ever encouraged, let alone trained, a player to break a rule or take an unfair advantage on the field. Yet the NRL hold Bellamy in high regard and the broadcasters rave about him.

I can stretch my memory back to when Des started with us as a player. The first time he played half-back the opposition kept winning the scrums. Someone had to take Des aside and explain that even though the rules said he should roll the ball into the middle of the scrum to ensure a fair contest in REALITY he was suppose to roll it in the direction of his own team. Cheating just doesn't come naturally to Des.

That's true! But we do have Saab and his unique abilities, that is the sort of play he can make.
I think 10 points was a reasonable reflection of the difference. Even this year 10 points is a clear margin, but shows it was competitive.
It's quite an interesting aspect of rugby league that a side can dominate in most ways yet still go off at half time 8-8!
Back in our last 'golden age' there was a season, may have been 2009 or 2010, when we had a number of games physically dominating sides, yet somehow they'd sneak back and score some points and the game would be close or we'd even lose. Many ways to achieve it, but in the end its only about who scores more points.
Sounds like 2010.

Absolutely.
Back in the good ol' days, the ABC did.
Either Nein think we want to be close to the action or we don't need to know - under the carpet

I think most of us would have preferred the old ABC coverage, albeit with today's wide screen and HD technology. I'd take the commentary team of Warren Boland, Arthur Beetson, John Peard (sideline) and Debbie Spillane (sideline) over what we get today from either 9 or Fox. The ABC team was nowhere near as biased.

Never really been much fazed and pretty indifferent to footy commentators , only tend to focus on the footy but sometimes the bias is fairly revealing . Used to like John Peard 's well considered take on things , bit like Brandy in more recent times . Warren Boland had a distinct dislike to Manly even if he could not always make it obvious and no doubt plenty of other instances from other commentators over time with a similar disposition . As for the Storm , probably a bit of 50 , 50 over time, well coached footy side with good systems , good recruiting policy, plenty of financial advantages over time and being a one city [ and a bit isolated ] based side but have to take most awards in circumventing and rorting the normal order of things both on and off the playing field irrespective of how unethical and against the spirit of the game is or was concerned .

I think most of us would have preferred the old ABC coverage, albeit with today's wide screen and HD technology. I'd take the commentary team of Warren Boland, Arthur Beetson, John Peard (sideline) and Debbie Spillane (sideline) over what we get today from either 9 or Fox. The ABC team was nowhere near as biased.
oops, just saw you beat me to Debbie Spillane (figuratively speaking)

The fox league team have become unbearable for me. Listening to the likes of Sampson, Ennis the menace and Paul "Who was he?" Kent encouraging the poor sportsmanship, grubby and unAustralian behavior of Chambers is the last straw. If Chambers pulled those stunts 30 years ago the likes of Roach would have knocked him out. It is cowardly behavior when you know that the recipient cannot retaliate. Comments that he is winning the psychological battle on the field when his side is losing the matches is simply stupid. Our kids shouldn't been seeing that rubbish on television at the top level. Talk about sending the wrong message to our kids. When he ran 10 metres and threw the boot into the stands he should have been sin binned and charged with unacceptable conduct. I feel like the NRL and Fox Sports Team are in the twilight zone and have lost the plot. Shame shame shame.

Never really been much fazed and pretty indifferent to footy commentators , only tend to focus on the footy but sometimes the bias is fairly revealing . Used to like John Peard 's well considered take on things , bit like Brandy in more recent times . Warren Boland had a distinct dislike to Manly even if he could not always make it obvious and no doubt plenty of other instances from other commentators over time with a similar disposition . As for the Storm , probably a bit of 50 , 50 over time, well coached footy side with good systems , good recruiting policy, plenty of financial advantages over time and being a one city [ and a bit isolated ] based side but have to take most awards in circumventing and rorting the normal order of things both on and off the playing field irrespective of how unethical and against the spirit of the game is or was concerned .
Is it any wonder Boland had a distinct dislike for Manly, he come from West during the Fibro’s v Silvertails era, that says it all, I’m sure you knew anyway.
Jim Cody used to do some work for me, his a top bloke and a die hard Wests man, he used to give it to me over being a Manly fan big time, the old west boys do really hate our club. It was always good to hear stories from Jim about his playing days, Chambers wouldn‘t of lasted long I can assure you of that.

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 56 16
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8
8 3 5 -55 8