Pre-Game Manly v Storm [Round 16, 2022]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
GAME ON! Head over to the Game Thread!

V

36 30
4 Pines Park
30 Jun 2022 07:50 PM

Team Lists

I really hope schuey starts on Thursday but doubt it given he just played today. If he doesn’t start we need to use him more effectively off the bench not just bring him in because of injuries and with 10 mins left

I really hope schuey starts on Thursday but doubt it given he just played today
It's five days turnaround and assuming Schuster doesn't have any injuries, he should have gained match fitness by playing eighty minutes today. It also depends on whether Des wants to stick with his losing formula from the Cowboys game :)

Aloiai is a huge loss, hopefully just one week out (bye round will give him extra time to recover so should be right for rd18)
The only positive is that we will see Paseka return finally

Aloia is a massive out annoyingly - he’s been our best big man by far. Hopefully Paseka can step in and step up. I actually give us half a chance against the storm - especially if they have a few out from origin. If you look at our form line it’s not bad. Two reasonable wins (against lower teams, granted) and a very close game against one of the top teams. We had the cowgirls for 70 mins and apart from a brain explosion by DCE and a few lucky (and some great) plays from them we would’ve won. Not saying we’ll win but I think we should make it competitive.

Being 100% honest, I can't see us beating them at full strength even SOO weary.

Need a couple of outs, Preferably Grant, Hughes, Munster....but I see Bellamy playing them for 65 min, then taking them off, unless we are within 12 points.

They don't fall into a heap and allow 3 late tries in 5 minutes.

The Kiwi test was a reminder of the quality of the Bromwichs, Smith, we already know from Origin that the likes of Munster Grant and chief thug Kaufusi are at the top of their game, so it will once again be a huge challenge against Storm.

Which, to look on the bright side, would make an upset victory all the more significant. Could even be season defining.

I'm not as confident as I was for the Cow game, it will all depend on whether Des can revive confidence after such a deflating loss.

Losing Aloia makes it harder. On the plus side, Haumole didn't play long minutes.

Just have to wait see the respective line up 's before a reasonable assessment although the Storm would naturally be favorites regardless . Didn 't seem to measure up too bad in defence and stopping their go forward last Storm game but recall also the errors and some undisciplined play with limited possession really hurt . Even with Alioia unfortunately out [ or looks like it ] still a good Manly side individually , got it together for the most part of the Cowboys game and surely must be capable of getting to that standard or competitive standard again with the right preparation and outlook . Cowboys outcome could go a few ways from Manly 's perspective for performances in the near term but really hope that it can be a catalyst to steel them better for a full game application and not just on a part time basis .

Need a better go from the ref "s too with off side play when Manly has been pressuring opposition sides on their own line . Not saying all are unwarranted and has been a bit better lately but previously this season and especially against the better sides , some very dubious calls against Manly 's defence in the oppositions 10 meter zone or so . Often and really knocks the stuffing out of any defending side when they have an opposition side under pressure and then they get a piggy back up field from a penalty on a questionable call . Manly have seemed again to be on the receiving end more then most .

Yep I can't disagree with a lot of what you say. Yet for all his faults I'd still say he's Manly's best player after Turbo.
The idea of a Foz/Schu halves pairing has some appeal but our kicking game would suffer, and just look at tonga yesterday, the lack of a top kicking game meant they were rarely in the game.
The other thing is despite his massive talent and potential Schu isn't ready yet. Yesterday he made a couple of errors that Storm would use to strangle us out of the game, not critical against Cook Islands but at top level that's all it takes.

The Kiwi test was a reminder of the quality of the Bromwichs, Smith, we already know from Origin that the likes of Munster Grant and chief thug Kaufusi are at the top of their game, so it will once again be a huge challenge against Storm.

Which, to look on the bright side, would make an upset victory all the more significant. Could even be season defining.

I'm not as confident as I was for the Cow game, it will all depend on whether Des can revive confidence after such a deflating loss.

Losing Aloia makes it harder. On the plus side, Haumole didn't play long minutes.
Watch out , @Terry Zarsoff will be on your back for negativity !!

Is it just me or has anyone else thought about Schu for centre?
Yes I've mentioned it here before, last year I think. Main problem is, the further out wide you are the more likely you can be isolated one on one and his mobility would probably be exposed a bit by the best sides.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8