Game Day: Manly v Raiders [Round 7, 2019]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Very interesting challenge for us today. Everyone's been talking about our newly found defensive grit and resilience and boy do we need it today. Probably need to try to restrict the Raiders to under 20 points because I don't know if we have much more than that in attack. High completion rates, playing field position and a really good kicking and chase effort required too. If we win the boost for the players and supporters would be MASSIVE and huge for our top 8 aspirations too. Go Manly!

Spot on.

We really need to aim at limiting the Raiders to 2 tries. With the firepower we have out, I think 3 tries is about our limit...especially against a good defensive unit like Canberra.

Shut down Hodgson and their attack is stifled. Api and Fainu need to be on a mission today.

I think some on this forum are under rating the Raiders they are a good team. I'll take a 1 point win but I must say our record over the last 5-6 years at Brookie is dreadful as if we think we just have to turn up and win,if we front up with that attitude today we will be smacked big time.
Agree

Jorge and Parker better be prepared for aerial and ground level assault today. Same goes for Garrick and Suli but they seem a little more certain with ball in the air and grubbers.
Williams ain’t no star but he has a great pinpoint bomb and short kicking game plus Rapana and Cotrick are best wing pairing in game for mine.

Raiders main play is getting Leilua early ball and backing him to break line and feed great wingers or drag in defenders for second phase. Need to niggle him early as he’s still capable of brain explosion. Parker has defended well out there. His biggest test in defence to date, along with Jorge and Thommo.Keep him quiet and we win I think with a big Brookie crowd behind us. If he runs riot we get smashed as we haven’t got much more than 20 points in us.

Should be a great game. Manly by 2.

Also the same goes for Dogs next week. Playing some good open footy and dangerous if you give them a sniff by being overconfident. They are not predictable like the Dogs of the first two rounds. Meany, Martin, the big winger and the Penrith backrower have given them some good strike and Martin is best goalkicker in comp so 4 = 6.

Last edited:
What is it with everyone saying we don’t have many points in us? We’re doing quite fine in attack & are up there with some of the best defensive stats! Bloody hell give the boys some credit! We’re a positive points difference & can go into 5th with a good win & 6th at worst! Show some bloody faith instead of constantly doubting! Many talking about watching this player & that player.....they should be watching & be concerned about some of our players!

We are currently in 8th spot, a win will see us 6th on for and against.

Very important game, and they will have to be be at their best to beat Canberra.

MATCH OFFICIALS:

Gerard Sutton
Referee

Adam Gee
Referee

Dave Munro
Touch Judge

Nick Morel
Touch Judge

Ben Galea
Video Referee

Ashley Klein
Senior Review Official

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please DO NOT post any Pre-Game Discussion in this thread.

If you have any Pre-Game Discussion that you wish to post then post it in the 'PRE-GAME DISCUSSION: Manly v Raiders [Round 7, 2019]' thread by clicking on the link below:

https://silvertails.net/threads/pre-game-discussion-manly-v-raiders-round-7-2019.56718/

Thank-you :)
Suck it Munro..

What is it with everyone saying we don’t have many points in us? We’re doing quite fine in attack & are up there with some of the best defensive stats! Bloody hell give the boys some credit! We’re a positive points difference & can go into 5th with a good win & 6th at worst! Show some bloody faith instead of constantly doubting! Many talking about watching this player & that player.....they should be watching & be concerned about some of our players!
It’s not a criticism it’s just fact. And it’s because two of the best attackers in the league are out injured. Sharks never looked like scoring last night minus their attacking leaders.All teams would struggle and our boys have played with huge resolve.

We have the lowest points in attack out of the top 11 and that includes 50 against Warriors in one game..! Take out that and we average two tries a game in the rest.
I personally love the old school way we have adapted to the adversity of being minus Walker and Tommy and AFB last week.It’s so good to have resilience back. I enjoy those games more than points fests.Just making the obvious comment that we will need to defend well to win as our attack is not lethal atm for obvious reasons.

And after that diatribe I fully expect us to put 50 on the Raiders to make a total fool of myself. I hope so anyway.

Last edited:
It’s not s criticism it’s just fact. And it’s because two of the best attackers in the league are out injured. All teams would struggle and our boys have played with huge resolve.

We have the lowest points in attack out of the top 11 and that includes 50 against Warriors in one game..! Take out that and we aversge two tries a game in the rest.
I personally love the old school way we have adapted to the adversity of being minus Walker and Tommy. It’s so good to have resilience back. I enjoy those games more than points feats.Just making the obvious comment that we will need to defend well to win as our attack is not lethal atm.

And after that diatribe I fully expect us to put 50 on the Raiders to make a total fool of myself. I hope so anyway.

You beat me to it lol

In 6 games, the only times we have really scored points were in Rd.2 after the Chooks clocked off once they got to a 26-0 lead, Rd.3 against the Warriors which happened to be the only full game Tom Trbojevic has played this year, and Rd.5 against a Knights side who have not even gotten close to living up to the pre-season garbage about them suddenly being a top 4 contender.

We struggled to score against the Tigpies, struggled to score against Souffs (despite having Tom for half a game at least), and struggled to score last week.

Facts are that we are a team, especially without Tom and Walker, who are going to struggle to score points. And it think that is a lot of reason why we have been so focused on defence. Limit what the opposition can do knowing that your own scoring opportunities won't be great either.

If you take a look at Manly's backline for today's game (1-5)....it makes for depressing reading on the try scoring front.

Brendan Elliot has not scored an NRL try since 2016.
Jorge Taufua has scored 5 tries in his last 18 games.
Moses Suli has scored just 4 tries in his 36 games of first grade.
Brad Parker has scored 7 tries in 31 games.
Reuben Garrick has scored 2 tries in only 6 games played.

Last edited:
Thought the same mate , not much wrong with our attack.

It’s not a criticism it’s just fact. And it’s because two of the best attackers in the league are out injured. Sharks never looked like scoring last night minus their attacking leaders.All teams would struggle and our boys have played with huge resolve.

We have the lowest points in attack out of the top 11 and that includes 50 against Warriors in one game..! Take out that and we average two tries a game in the rest.
I personally love the old school way we have adapted to the adversity of being minus Walker and Tommy and AFB last week.It’s so good to have resilience back. I enjoy those games more than points fests.Just making the obvious comment that we will need to defend well to win as our attack is not lethal atm for obvious reasons.

Lowest of the top 11? Yeah & they have all payed one game more than us! Just sayin’ we should show more faith......it’s game 7 with plenty to go!

Lowest of the top 11? Yeah & they have all payed one game more than us! Just sayin’ we should show more faith......it’s game 7 with plenty to go!

Nobody saying we are lacking points ATM is bagging the team.

Take Tom T out and you are at LEAST a try down. Add Walker to that and the momentum AFB adds and thats another try worth there.

Pointing out three of the players who lead to a lot of our momentum and points being unavailable, is not potting the team.

So taking 10 to 12 points out of a teams attack plays a massive part in your expectations on what you need to restrict the opposition to.

Last edited:
  • 🏆
Reactions: Sue
Raiders main play is getting Leilua early ball and backing him to break line and feed great wingers or drag in defenders for second phase. Need to niggle him early as he’s still capable of brain explosion. Parker has defended well out there. His biggest test in defence to date, along with Jorge and Thommo.Keep him quiet and we win I think with a big Brookie crowd behind us. If he runs riot we get smashed as we haven’t got much more than 20 points in us.

Fully agree.
I know it’s all supposed to be won in the forwards, but for me it’s all about the 4&5 today. There’ll be no better match up on the park. I never thought I’d say this, but I think (desperately hope), that Parker can contain Leilua. Garrick will have had no bigger test than Rapana (who, I love watching.....and I still pronounce Rapana as in banana!@:D ). As you say @Sue , they’ve got to put Leilua off his game (Walker would’ve been the perfect taunter), God knows Ricky’s lost ten years watching Leilua lose his shiit. But he has been good so far this year, hopefully that changes today.
Have a great day to all that are lucky enough to be at Brookie today. Hopefully you’ll all be dancing to Eagle Rock at full time.:rock:

• 🏆
Reactions: Sue
Nobody saying we are lacking points ATM is bagging the team.

Take Tom T out and you are at LEAST a try down. Add Walker to that and the momentum AFB adds amd thats another try worth there.

Pointing out three of the players who lead to a lot of our momentum and points being injured, is not potting the team.

So taking 10 to 12 points out of a teams attack plays a massive part in your expectations on what you need to restrict the opposition to.
Oh, no, bagging the team. You don't wanna be doing that! You don't need a severe rebuke by one of the forum sherrifs.

Need to unleash the offloads today with players pushing up. We need points against raiders and our strikeless back 5 won’t be enough to beat the raiders. Taupau and Jake have clearly been told not to offload by des, we are going to need to throw everything at them this week. Conservative won’t get it done.

Carn boys,

Bozo is sitting in the Stands with Sticky psyching him out

giphy.gif

If we win big and the Knights somehow beat the Eels we could be 4th

I'm still hoping Elvis is alive too, and it was all a conspiracy @:D.

My hope is that we.come through unscathed, for another 3-4 rounds, get Walker, Trbojevic and AFB back, and we have a late season run.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8