Game Day: Manly v Penrith [Round 20, 2018]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Went and saw Mission Impossible last night. Confusing plot, just like the messaging (or no messaging) out of Narrabeen and Lottovale.

It co-starred Ving Tapau, a closet Manly fan who thought they could disarm the nukes and Manly could make the finals and win the big one.

I’m sick of dce’S defence in the line. He races up and then stands in no mans land while watching the ball player and has no idea what is opposite is doing. He ain’t stopping anyone.

What that does is try and force the play back to the middle where the forwards can hopefully stop them, kinda like the old umbrella defence that Warren Ryan used so successfully at the Dogs in the mid-80s. The problem is that while his side of the defence does that (or at least, he does), when the ball is then throw to our right, our line either misses tackles or retreats resulting in line breaks and tries.

And right now, when there are line breaks on our right, neither Suli nor Parker have the speed to catch anyone, and its obvious that Walks is both short of fitness and isn't quite as quick since his ankle/leg injury from late last year. In the past 2 weeks with our right side leaking like a sieve, Tom has faced some almost impossible 3 or even 4 on 1's to try and stop tries. Even Snake, Wombat and Ridgey weren't that good to stop most of those.

22 points in 7 minutes

22 points ...... in just..... 7 Minutes...... at Brookvale

t towel gough speech.jpg

Last week I was stunned at how poorly they played. This week for 70 minutes they had a title aspirant on the ropes. This team will change a little next year and it will be for many a year older and wiser, more experienced. There are some good signs coming through, it just needs some clearer coaching thinking, better defence co-ordination and one or two added tough forwards, and a damned less number of injuries.

Barrett needs to start experimenting with positions with a view to next year. Try Kelly at 5/8, get Tom W in the centre or wing, try out Funa in a game or two. Check out what we've got for next year. This year is of course shot. But I like the team coming through. Needs far more cohesion, and needs to sort out that 5/8 spot for next year. We lose having Walker at 5/8 even if he does a good job. But at this stage this isn't a bad side. Just needs confidence back, consistency, better defence, more inventiveness in coaching and sorting 5/8 out...bleeding obvious really and I wonder if Barrett realises this

Tom T/Anderson
Anderson/Suli
Walker/Funa
Kelly/T. Wright
Taufua
Kelly
DCE
Taupau/Paseka
Api/ Fainu
AFB/Tanginoa
Sironen/ Thompson
Jake T/Parker

The Trbojevics, Anderson, Funa, Tom W., Kelly, Suli, Fainu, AFB, Tanginoa, Paseka, Sironen and Parker are all still kids and will get better. Add a few tough nuts in the forwards...and who knows who will come through from the juniors...and we could be up there again next year#

Last edited:
What that does is try and force the play back to the middle where the forwards can hopefully stop them, kinda like the old umbrella defence that Warren Ryan used so successfully at the Dogs in the mid-80s. The problem is that while his side of the defence does that (or at least, he does), when the ball is then throw to our right, our line either misses tackles or retreats resulting in line breaks and tries.

And right now, when there are line breaks on our right, neither Suli nor Parker have the speed to catch anyone, and its obvious that Walks is both short of fitness and isn't quite as quick since his ankle/leg injury from late last year. In the past 2 weeks with our right side leaking like a sieve, Tom has faced some almost impossible 3 or even 4 on 1's to try and stop tries. Even Snake, Wombat and Ridgey weren't that good to stop most of those.
We are weak both sides. Parker is not a centre let alone wing. Good attacks will stand deeper and dce ain’t gonna be nothing but a speed bump if he’s flat footed.

For me the interchanges Barrett made prior/during to the try fest compounded the issues ie; no one new where they were supposed to be/marking or no faith in the player beside you ie; Hodko etc etc.

Fainu had made 30 tackles up until he is was taken off with NO missed tackles. Why?

Yes, the players need to aim up in defence but the interchange fiasco heralded our demise.

12 loses in a row 6 of them at home

We are a team that home does not feel like home anymore

The illawarra / Penrith joint venture is not working

This is unsuitable !!! unacceptable !!!, unsustainable!!!

We need Change !!! . We need to be made Great again !!!

Donald-Trump-angry.jpg

We are weak both sides. Parker is not a centre let alone wing. Good attacks will stand deeper and dce ain’t gonna be nothing but a speed bump if he’s flat footed.
The game he played in the trials at the start of the year he came off his man twice and let in 2 tries - I could understand what everyone else saw in him. Nothing has changed other than supporters opinion!

I think that our training has a lot to do with us crumbling under pressure

We rarely did ti when Donny was in charge as he would take the players to a very dark place in the off season so that they could cope when the going gets tough on the football field

Now that they just crumple like the bearded ex titan trains them to do
Hit the nail on the head there Tookey. We're mentally and physically weak thanks to that ex titans failure clown

I think Nathan Cleary's post game press conference summed it up... "You can't afford to play like that and win as a good team won't let you back in like that"

Boom - mic drop!

Max Delmege tweeted this after the game;

"Brings me to tears to see what is happening to the great club. I along with all the fans am distraught, disillusioned and saddened by the way the club is headed. When and how will it change? Start looking at the management right down to the players to figure out a solution! Fast"!

Max Delmege tweeted this after the game;

"Brings me to tears to see what is happening to the great club. I along with all the fans am distraught, disillusioned and saddened by the way the club is headed. When and how will it change? Start looking at the management right down to the players to figure out a solution! Fast"!

Will Penn have enough money left over for his manly sea eagles commitment after the divorce settlement? Hmm. Could explain why he's being so stingy of late

I don’t know if anyone has said anything yet . I’ve only seen 1replay of a few incidents that if I’m correct , turned the match.
1 . The bomb put up before Mansour try was a Penrith hand knocked the Ball forwards.
Penrith got the ball back ( somehow ) got a penalty and Mansour scored.
2 a hand knock the ball from Tommy T forward before Cleary cleaned up and scored.
3. Manly had a ball stripped with a couple of minutes to go and Penrith got the penalty....
4.Taufua had a hand strip the ball by a Penrith player and Penrith got the scrum/ feed.
Maybe I’m wrong because I only seen it all just once as I went by the TV . I can’t watch full games anymore as most are was decided by wrong decisions.
Fate can be a terrible thing.

Without the refs assistance even we couldn't have lost that, it was an all round effort.

Marty's hair was pulled with about a minute to go which used to be a penalty as well.

Just how factual is the whole 'young team' thing, compared to other teams? Or is this just a baseless excuse/propaganda?

Not sure about young but saw the numbers earlier in the year for experience, we had the least with 1100 odd games, tigpies were next from memory. Top teams were close to 3000 games.

Without the refs assistance even we couldn't have lost that, it was an all round effort.

Marty's hair was pulled with about a minute to go which used to be a penalty as well.
Well the official response from the Refs was that the Penrith player was in fact tightening Marty's braids as he noticed they were fraying slightly. They stated that the Penrith player was a part time hair stylist and chose not to charge Marty for the hair treatment, and so they too would not charge the Penrith player. Case closed. Next....

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 115 12
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 4 5 19 10
10 5 5 -13 10