Post-Game Discussion Manly v Knights [Round 5, 2023]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Game Information

Sea Eagles
Vs
Knights
32 Glen Willow Stadium
01 Apr 2023 15:00
89:09 minute

Match Stats

I've been thinking this for a while and I don't think we have had a decent metre eater since Fonua Blake. Sure Paseka does some damaging runs, but AFB was similar to the sort of consistent yardage Taumololo would give to the Cowboys week in week out. Keppe, Aloai, Bullemor and Paseka are too inconsistent.
Im of the belief that Wiremu Grieg of the eels is off contract at the end of the season. I would let go of 3 of the above to sign him. He is of the warea hargreaves mould.

I've been thinking this for a while and I don't think we have had a decent metre eater since Fonua Blake. Sure Paseka does some damaging runs, but AFB was similar to the sort of consistent yardage Taumololo would give to the Cowboys week in week out. Keppe, Aloai, Bullemor and Paseka are too inconsistent.
Im of the belief that Wiremu Grieg of the eels is off contract at the end of the season. I would let go of 3 of the above to sign him. He is of the warea hargreaves mould.
Paseka went missing in first half. Keppie was best of them today

Thanks for nothing DCE. Did nothing with the ball in hand all game, missed an easy tackle for Youngs 4th try, didn’t take 2 easy field goal attempts in extra time.….
‘Your “best” players who are paid an obscene amount are supposed to make differences in these games. DCE is always crap-mediocre vs good teams, and he frequently isn’t good enough versus average teams.

Overall, a Real lack of intensity, execution, attacking passing game was a joke, stupid mistakes, and that reserve grader Parker was given a bath by Gagai.
Parker & Ben Turbo in the 1st team, proves that Manly are not serious. Both are lucky to be in reserve grade.

Jerbo D was and is amazing, but his runs/attacking game is non-existent. Ball in hand he gets the team zero advantages. It’s like the team only gets half a player every game.

Compare that to a player like Huomole who gives the team plenty in attack & in Defence.
And I don’t want to hear about mistakes, Jerbo is so often offside at marker that it’s still shocking at this age that he still does it.

Every player in our backline. Including turbo. Is playing injured. And it’s coming back to hurt us
Ruben and yes turbo too.
They both look a shadow of themselves from previous years, turbo that's obvious he is not fully fit yet but Ruben he got badly torn apart yesterday.

The other thing which is very evident compared to other teams this week how slow we look compared to other teams, we just don't attack with much speed.

Here is a fun fact.

Both AFB and Paseka have played 4 games this year.

Paseka has 601 run metres from 57 runs equating to 10.54 metres per run

AFB has 571 run metres from 51 runs equating to 11.19 metres per game

We are splitting hairs here. Paseka is playing well this season, has really stepped up

Hastings was the difference IMO, he helped them play to their strengths and target our weakness, he had time with the ball in hand and caused us trouble on the edges off depth all day.

Our D was terrible, leaking 32 points, we missed 48 tackles with 14 more deemed ineffective, 62 defensive errors, hardly 1st grade standard.

We lacked energy and effort and in the end I though we were extremely lucky to come away with a point.

Seibs has to own a fair chunk of it, said early in the week the side had a regressive feel to it. He even failed to manage the game well with the side he picked, he should of injected Weekes earlier and given him more minutes, he added spark and creativity and helped get us back in the game.

There’s some really bad reading amongst our stats from yesterday and plenty to work on, we could of fielded a very different side, Lawman and Weekes would of added the energy we needed and a couple positional changes could of strengthened the side.

I hated yesterday, it lacked so much from a coaching perspective, the result was not surprising, hard to spell it all out in a forum thread, but we slaughtered yesterday and slaughtered the opportunity to improve and carry momentum into next week, not really looking forward to next weeks team sheet now and it’s hard to see us building anything positive out what of happened.

Last edited:
Once again that potent defence and hitting with venom and intent simply was not there, at all, not even in the beginning when they were enthusiastic. How can it be we looked like that was our new “thing” and then it just completely vanishes

Once again that potent defence and hitting with venom and intent simply was not there, at all, not even in the beginning when they were enthusiastic. How can it be we looked like that was our new “thing” and then it just completely vanishes
Almost like they had a really good off season, had good intentions to play that way but after a few weeks realised it was bloody hard to keep it up!

Hastings was the difference IMO, he helped them play to their strengths and target our weakness, he had time with the ball in hand and caused us trouble on the edges off depth all day.
Yep, compared to our halfback who literally has no control over the game and hasn’t been able to do it for years. The intercept tries and odd 40/20’s here and there cover up the serious deficiencies in his game and it’s killing us out there. We obviously have quite a few issues in the team but no one has remained a constant quite like DCE has.

Look at the Broncos right now. We have a similar young squad with no hooker, a gun fullback and an extremely talented 5/8. Admittedly their pack is definitely better than ours, but the main reaaon they are getting the results right now is because Reynolds is pulling the strings and coming up with the right play almost every time. When was the last time DCE forced a repeat set? Set up a try for Haumole or Koula without them doing all the work? And I’m not even going to go into his defence because that part of his game is even worse

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4