Game Day: Manly v Eels [Round 22, 2016]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
A well coached team over comes adversity from dropped balls , injured players , inner club turmoil etc and that is why Arthur's team won and Barrett's team lost
You may think that Barret is a great coach but from what I have witnessed he is an average coach who does not have the foresight to take us to another premiership win .

Have never said Barrett is a great coach, never even said he is a good coach. Just don't see the need to bag the bloke and blame every single nonsense on him.

Simplistic statements like no excuses and well coached teams win are puerile and childish.

By your logic our 40-0 win over Melbourne is proof Bellamy can't coach, or was the fact Smith didn't play an acceptable excuse.

We can't blood anyone
Knight has already played in first grade so he should be able to play .... I didn't think AFB showed much against the slimeys ... not that he was given much time or good ball

Have never said Barrett is a great coach, never even said he is a good coach. Just don't see the need to bag the bloke and blame every single nonsense on him.

Simplistic statements like no excuses and well coached teams win are puerile and childish.

By your logic our 40-0 win over Melbourne is proof Bellamy can't coach, or was the fact Smith didn't play an acceptable excuse.
Bellamy has a proven history that he can coach . Use your logic Woodsie ! The 40-Nil win for us was a win from a primed up team and Smith would not have made a difference to us wining that day . The fact is excuses don't improve teams only solutions do . I am and have been a financial member of our great club for years and I am entitled to my opinion as you are feathered friend .
Some things in life are really that simple Woodsie , like Walker is a liability at 5/8 but after 21 rounds Barrett still cant see that .
untitled.png

Bellamy has a proven history that he can coach . Use your logic Woodsie ! The 40-Nil win for us was a win from a primed up team and Smith would not have made a difference to us wining that day . The fact is excuses don't improve teams only solutions do . I am and have been a financial member of our great club for years and I am entitled to my opinion as you are feathered friend .
Some things in life are really that simple Woodsie , like Walker is a liability at 5/8 but after 21 rounds Barrett still cant see that .
View attachment 4098

But according to you, no excuses, a well coached team would have overcome us and won in 2008.

If DCE, a veteran half, a SOO and Australian rep, couldn't work out he was too shallow and the defence racing up and adjust, I blame DCE, not Barrett. And as some suggest Barrett didn't notice is too stupid for words.

But according to you, no excuses, a well coached team would have overcome us and won in 2008.

If DCE, a veteran half, a SOO and Australian rep, couldn't work out he was too shallow and the defence racing up and adjust, I blame DCE, not Barrett. And as some suggest Barrett didn't notice is too stupid for words.
In 2008 when we won the comp we were coached by a great coach in Hasler and not Barrett and the other great coach who's team made another grand final was Bellamy and not Barrett
You blame DCE and I blame Barrett's game plan and his inability to motivate his team . What did he say to his players at half time against the Eels and how affective were his words ???
BtouBbFCYAAKz0Y.png

Last edited:
In 2008 when we won the comp we were coached by a great coach in Hasler and not Barrett and the other great coach who's team made another grand final was Bellamy and not Barrett
You blame DCE and I blame Barrett's game plan and his inability to motivate his team . What did he say to his players at half time against the Eels and how affective were his words ???
View attachment 4101

OK, tell me what Barrett's game plan was, and we can analyse it together.

Also tell which players you don't think were motivated.

Well, Arthur just re-signed with the Eels and extended, so Bozo missed his target.

What surprises me, is if a Bellamy, Hasler or Bennett team lost on the siren, after the play was made dead, for a match winning penalty, the league world would be up in arms.

Manly, it's just business as usual.

Really pisses me off when watching a game, if the penalty count is heavily against us, it's ill discipline. If the penalty count is against the opposition, the commentators give a running tally continuously.

Make no mistake, for about the 5th game straight under him, we got Chechinned.

Well, Arthur just re-signed with the Eels and extended, so Bozo missed his target.

What surprises me, is if a Bellamy, Hasler or Bennett team lost on the siren, after the play was made dead, for a match winning penalty, the league world would be up in arms.

Really pisses me off when watching a game, if the penalty count is heavily against us, it's ill discipline. If the penalty count is against the opposition, the commentators give a running tally continuously.

No mate we got Barretted

Aren't you the same @BOZO who tried to soothe the angst of so many here when we thought things were going bad? Keep the faith feathered friend, etc etc?
Now you are laying the boot in deluxe.
Wonder what has changed...?

SPot on mate, that last penalty was disgusting, we have every right to be filthy

Aren't you the same @BOZO who tried to soothe the angst of so many here when we thought things were going bad? Keep the faith feathered friend, etc etc?
Now you are laying the boot in deluxe.
Wonder what has changed...?
Yes I am the Same guy who patiently suffered in silence for 21 rounds but enough is enough . I have lost faith in our coaching staff as I am a proud Manly supporter who is used to Manly being a premiership force and after 21 rounds I can not see this happening with Barrett feathered friend .
My hero Bob Fulton stuffed up big time with this rookie coach

No mate we got Barretted

Sorry @BOZO. I completely disagree mate. Last night the team played flat / lethargic. Every one of the commentators were saying the performance was disappointing. Like I say, after looking at the previous weeks, the energy levels were right down - it looked out of character mate. The players were that bad, I actually called it suss (interesting given the earlier Parramatta round 7 claims that have just come out). I hope our players aren't white anting Barrett to line their own pockets.

That's not Barrett's fault. The players have to be accountable for not playing like they have been.

That's the disappointing thing. If they executed the game plan, and ripped in, we'd have won that, and easily. Remember, we only allowed 10 points against.

I thought Tommy Trbojevic was awful. Same as DCE. Api did try his guts out, but his execution was down.

Compile that on Matt Checchin doing what Matt Checchin does to Manly. There were two OBVIOUS no tries that dickweed called tries (as Barrett said). If Toovey were here, he'd be calling for an investigation:

SPot on mate, that last penalty was disgusting, we have every right to be filthy
What was truly disgusting is that we were favourites for that game for good reason and we should have won well and not rely on a refs last minute call . The player was clearly belted without the ball and that is a penalty .

Sorry @BOZO. I completely disagree mate. Last night the team played flat / lethargic. Every one of the commentators were saying the performance was disappointing. Like I say, after looking at the previous weeks, the energy levels were right down - it looked out of character mate.

That's not Barrett's fault. The players have to be accountable for not playing like they have been.

That's the disappointing thing. If they executed the game plan, and ripped in, we'd have won that, and easily. Remember, we only allowed 10 points against.

I thought Tommy Trbojevic was awful. Same as DCE. Api did try his guts out, but his execution was down.

Compile that on Matt Checchin doing what Matt Checchin does to Manly. There were two OBVIOUS no tries that dickweed called tries (as Barrett said). If Toovey were here, he'd be calling for an investigation:

Barrett could not get his players up for the winnable win .
We will agree to disagree feathered friend :)

This time last year…if someone told you that we would have a crunch away game with no Snake, no Lyon, no Matai, and instead we'd be counting on the likes of Lussick, Vave, Nathan Green, Koroisau, Lewis Brown, Matthew Wright, Brayden Wiliame, ... would you have said…Good Luck?

Actually more depth would have given the attacking player more time on the ball to run an inside lane, turning the outside defenders feet inwards , allowing extra space out wide plus, execute that final pass instead of being shut down...depth also ensures the attacker can hit the ball at speed, not flat footed creating more urgency & poor decision making by the defence.
If....as you say being deeper in that red zone is not advantageous in the wet conditions, also invalid, as turning a late deep runner under in slippery conditions is also a key option in slippery conditions....being flat on a wet pitch is not ideal...as shown tonight.
I'm talking about depth in general not just the red zone. The wrong way to create depth is by playing deeper than normal, it is a win for the defense once you do so.
The best way is to create time and space by off the ball movement or sucking in an up and in defense with what seems a telegraphed play but use a power straight option to bring the defense up and strike on the next play as they struggle back.

The general depth of any play that allows an attacker or forward to run onto the ball at speed should never really change, if players don't know how to set themselves up by now in that department under any conditions they shouldn't be playing NRL.

Yeah a slight re-tweaking under wet slippery conditions is understandable but nothing overly drastic as it just makes a team play sideways and more easily read.

Bringing players inside to change the point of attack is useless if the wrong players are doing so and there is no plan behind why and when they are doing so.

The telegraphed second man play to a halfback on a slippery wet deck against a well drilled up and in defense is a dumb play to continue using, the smart way is to setup as if you are using the play still pass out the back but hit a power forward who can potentially create a fast play the ball then hit the back pedaling or lacking forward movement defence on the next play.

Coaches are too set in their ways in relation to creating decoys for the sole purpose of getting the ball to the most dangerous attacker or space for the halves, when actually using such players as the decoy for the second option is just as dangerous or feeding off the next play so your ball-player or attacking weapon can take advantage.

How many times for example does Jake pass to a lurking inside run from his brother, the danger now is in it's telegraphed nature, there should be a second inside runner with Tom as the decoy giving a second option.

This time last year…if someone told you that we would have a crunch away game with no Snake, no Lyon, no Matai, and instead we'd be counting on the likes of Lussick, Vave, Nathan Green, Koroisau, Lewis Brown, Matthew Wright, Brayden Wiliame, ... would you have said…Good Luck?
If I were also told we were playing a Parra team with no Foran, no Norman, no Junior Paulo, no Peats and Scott off injured early PLUS all the off-field dramas for their club this year, and the run of momentum going into the game.... yeah, nah.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8