Pre-Game Manly v Eels [Round 21, 2022]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
GAME ON! Head over to the Game Thread!

V

20 36
4 Pines Park
05 Aug 2022 07:55 PM

Team Lists

Schuster has been disappointing & all the hype about him seems to have gone / dwindled since the "i wanna play 5/8" demand from his manager. I mentioned in a post not that long ago that I have a feeling he won't be with Manly next year & to be honest, i'm not really bothered anymore.
Yes - I believe he is uber talented but he doesn't put in the work obviously and seems to be all about him. Seems to be a few of the Boycott 10 who are all about them!

Schuster has been disappointing & all the hype about him seems to have gone / dwindled since the "i wanna play 5/8" demand from his manager. I mentioned in a post not that long ago that I have a feeling he won't be with Manly next year & to be honest, i'm not really bothered anymore.
Yeah, it hasn't helped his cause being injured a month out from Rd1, then compounding this getting injured again and in a moon boot, witch means no running hence the weight problems. We really need Schuster to kick on in 23, as much as we all like Foran he's only one bad injury away from having significant time on the sidelines. Schuster's our future, what we saw in 21 can surely be replicated again in 23.

Think that on balance and in regard to Josh [ shu ] his form and undoubted talent for a good part of last season had him among one of the better edge forwards going around . Can clearly remember even suggestions of fringe S O O consideration . Mentioned before that his end of season drop off in form seemed to coincide with a noticeable weight increase and a bit less mobility and fitness level . Then the injury problems at various stages this season and not much improvement on the weight and fitness aspects . And still some injury concerns right now again apparently . Only way for a better situation all round for him and Manly , obviously being relatively injury free , get a bit of weight off and the fitness improvement and improved mobility and form should be expected to return . Still signed until 2024 , surely every prospect with a bit of luck [ but certainly the weight or slight weight reduction will help the most ] he can get the opportunity to full fill all of his potential and skill level in what ever position for Manly .

I'd rather see the Des gone. We have a recent history of keeping an under performing coach and letting stars go. I suspect that this issue isn't about form it's about the relationship between player and coach. Its clear Des didn't make the decision regarding the retention of Foran and thus this could just be an up yours to the decision makers. Sadly it will have a significant ongoing effect on our club and is affecting this player's short term career. Our playing group does not even resemble a happy playing group. I suspect the group is fractured by more than just religious beliefs. We should be looking actively and covertly for a new coach as IMO we will not win another premiership under Des. We need a younger fresher coach such as a Fitzgibbons or Payton style of coach.

I'd rather see the Des gone. We have a recent history of keeping an under performing coach and letting stars go. I suspect that this issue isn't about form it's about the relationship between player and coach. Its clear Des didn't make the decision regarding the retention of Foran and thus this could just be an up yours to the decision makers. Sadly it will have a significant ongoing effect on our club and is affecting this player's short term career. Our playing group does not even resemble a happy playing group. I suspect the group is fractured by more than just religious beliefs. We should be looking actively and covertly for a new coach as IMO we will not win another premiership under Des. We need a younger fresher coach such as a Fitzgibbons or Payton style of coach.
At some point,a coach has to take a stand against these players/managers,that try to dictate what goes on at a club.Whether you think Des is the right man to take the team to the next premiership,is a different argument.The next coach that comes in would still have the same problem with the player/manager anyway.I’m not sure if Des is trying to teach Schuster a lesson re his attitude and fitness,or not but if he doesn’t nip it in the bud now,Schuster is likely to be the next Feleti Mateo and every contract year,his manager will try and bend the club over with threat of leaving.Schusters manager by all reports,is not the most upstanding citizen going around(are any of them really) and he’s not doing the best for his client

Think that all Des and the coaching staff can naturally do is to try and select the best 17 or 18 guys available and having to take into account injury factors in the process . Shu really could not be put ahead of Davey on recent form and can only assume that he is carrying an injury and for Burbo to be included above him now . Taking into account that Burbo can cover centre as well , but so can Walker , i would still think more injury based considerations in relation to Josh . Hasn 't really been that bad a run over recent weeks baring that relatively poor effort against the Dragons and almost getting the Cows Fairly committed effort against the Roosters . Nothing that i have picked up to indicate any dissatisfaction with Des or lack of unity or harmony and should be able to put to one side last weeks shenanigans . Still a bit mystified with some of the tactics against the Dragons but overall , think that Des has still got his act together and obviously more then him responsible for the coaching and preparation input

I’m not sure if Des is trying to teach Schuster a lesson re his attitude and fitness
Hopefully someone is. Schu has talent but I am not sure he has the mentality needed to be a star at NRL level. It's possible he just doesn't want it enough. Not blaming him in any way, just a comment. In NRL, fitness fanatics with only a quarter of Schu's talent will quickly surpass him, no-one knows this better than Des.

Hopefully someone is. Schu has talent but I am not sure he has the mentality needed to be a star at NRL level. It's possible he just doesn't want it enough. Not blaming him in any way, just a comment. In NRL, fitness fanatics with only a quarter of Schu's talent will quickly surpass him, no-one knows this better than Des.
He won’t find two better examples of getting the most out of your talent by hard work than Des and Croker

still would be on the more optimistic side with josh , showed what he can do previously . just has to knuckle down again and get his fitness in order and extended and quality time on the field again . Sure that he was playing the full 80 in some games last season . Again inclined to think that it not beyond him .

This whole issue began two years ago when Manly decided to bring over Foran, while they had what seemed an outstanding young five eighth on the rise, then being as a result pushed into a less effective role of second row. Now this is no disrespect for Foran, who, surprisingly has done a great job for us. That's not the issue. The issue is that this kid has stuck with Manly obviously for a chance to play in a role most observers recognise he is very well suited to. He stuck with Manly for that chance. He could have gone elsewhere, and been ensured of a 5/8 spot, but he showed loyalty with Manly having come through the ranks after being tempted by the Fultons to leave the West.

Now many suggest he has spat the dummy. But why not? He could be with another club showing his outstanding skills playing in the role he knows he is best at. And this is not just about loyalty and obligation. Its about doing the best for yourself, and anyone would be mind numb not to look after your own interests. Some suggest he should be pleased that he has a role in first grade. Sorry, I dont buy that. He knows he's good enough to hold the 5/8 spot in almost any other team. Why shouldnt he be annoyed. I would be if I had that much talent and I knew it was being stiffed and could play that role almost anywhere else in the comp.

I think early this year he lost interest because it seemed Hasler had decided he was going to stick with Foran and Schuster just had to stay at second row. If he was an average footballer who was a fringe first grader, I would say suck it up and take what you are offered just for the opportunity. Schuster is not a fringe first grader and there are many sides who would grab him in an instant with an assurance of the 5/8 spot. My sense is that he's fallen out with Hasler, possibly because Foran was forced to leave. Meanwhile Schuster stopped showing interest, put on weight, suffered injury, and now is struggling to get back to what he was. My fear is that he is being forced out, which for Manly would be far worse than having lost Gutherson. Just hope Mestrov does something about this mess.

Gutho playing 6 ? - From Eels Team news:

Their is some news coming through that King Gutho will go in the halves with Dylan Brown and Hayze Perham to full back this weekend with Moses dealing with a finger injury which he will miss the rest of the regular season and Jakob Arthur is dealing with his own sternum injury unfortunately!

Schuster has been copping it left and right from everyone at the moment but I think people need to go easier on him. Agree that he appears lazy and disinterested right now but he’s only 21 and played just 31 games. He’s probably carrying the extra weight because he was expecting to play 2nd row this year, and he’s obviously been carrying an injury which hasn’t helped.

Remember that he played 5/8 for most of his junior career and has excelled every time he has played in the halves for us in first grade. It would be best for him to play out the season at 6 for Blacktown, rather than the 15 minutes off the bench where he’s on a hiding to nothing. People need to be careful what they wish for as he’s the exact type of player who could end up elsewhere and dominate - just need to show some patience and hope he has a big off season and gets into shape

This whole issue began two years ago when Manly decided to bring over Foran, while they had what seemed an outstanding young five eighth on the rise, then being as a result pushed into a less effective role of second row. Now this is no disrespect for Foran, who, surprisingly has done a great job for us. That's not the issue. The issue is that this kid has stuck with Manly obviously for a chance to play in a role most observers recognise he is very well suited to. He stuck with Manly for that chance. He could have gone elsewhere, and been ensured of a 5/8 spot, but he showed loyalty with Manly having come through the ranks after being tempted by the Fultons to leave the West.

Now many suggest he has spat the dummy. But why not? He could be with another club showing his outstanding skills playing in the role he knows he is best at. And this is not just about loyalty and obligation. Its about doing the best for yourself, and anyone would be mind numb not to look after your own interests. Some suggest he should be pleased that he has a role in first grade. Sorry, I dont buy that. He knows he's good enough to hold the 5/8 spot in almost any other team. Why shouldnt he be annoyed. I would be if I had that much talent and I knew it was being stiffed and could play that role almost anywhere else in the comp.

I think early this year he lost interest because it seemed Hasler had decided he was going to stick with Foran and Schuster just had to stay at second row. If he was an average footballer who was a fringe first grader, I would say suck it up and take what you are offered just for the opportunity. Schuster is not a fringe first grader and there are many sides who would grab him in an instant with an assurance of the 5/8 spot. My sense is that he's fallen out with Hasler, possibly because Foran was forced to leave. Meanwhile Schuster stopped showing interest, put on weight, suffered injury, and now is struggling to get back to what he was. My fear is that he is being forced out, which for Manly would be far worse than having lost Gutherson. Just hope Mestrov does something about this mess.

Bear ... you're dreaming ...

Gutho playing 6 ? - From Eels Team news:

Their is some news coming through that King Gutho will go in the halves with Dylan Brown and Hayze Perham to full back this weekend with Moses dealing with a finger injury which he will miss the rest of the regular season and Jakob Arthur is dealing with his own sternum injury unfortunately!
Just have to apply pressure on Gutho. Up in his face in the first half, then watch the Eels game plan disintegrate before our eyes.

Just have to apply pressure on Gutho. Up in his face in the first half, then watch the Eels game plan disintegrate before our eyes.

We need to stop RCG and Paulo more than anything, Mahoney plays well off the back of their go forward . If We stop them , Parra will go sideways and apart from Sivo ( 10M out from Tryline ) their backs are average. We have the pace to worry them all over the park .

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
11 7 4 59 14
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 -10 14
11 6 5 107 12
11 6 5 -9 12
10 5 5 -56 12
11 5 5 30 11
10 4 6 15 10