Game Day: Manly v Eels [Round 1, 2017]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Its annoying when things like that happen. Totally changes the game. At times in the second half when we finally got some ball, the wide angle tv shot had the eels a mile offside. Blow the whistle ref and give us a chance. Parra get away with it all the time with the offside.

Then to compound it we get a bad call against us, puts them on the attack and then go 14 ahead. Its fustrating but the refs have been horrible for years now. Cant see it changing

You are spot on Simon, that was another thing that was incredibly obvious. the cheats were off side more often that not.

Quite a few times the worms were maybe 5 metres back, maybe less. it was excruciating to see and they were not penalised once. In one play there were at least two worms and the ref in line with Manly players, it was unbelievable.

We were never given a break and our attacking momentum was stifled almost every time. I realise we have some work to do, but I am just disgusted at the inconsistent officiating and the impact they can have in deciding who wins and who doesn't.

You are spot on Simon, that was another thing that was incredibly obvious. the cheats were off side more often that not.

Quite a few times the worms were maybe 5 metres back, maybe less. it was excruciating to see and they were not penalised once. In one play there were at least two worms and the ref in line with Manly players, it was unbelievable.

We were never given a break and our attacking momentum was stifled almost every time. I realise we have some work to do, but I am just disgusted at the inconsistent officiating and the impact they can have in deciding who wins and who doesn't.
They talked a bit about this on MMM.. when Poo got penalized for a little face rub and gave away 2 points, Girdler was giving it to Hollywood Harrigon who was banging on about how it was a "definite penalty". Girds fired back with "yeah maybe, but that entire set Parramatta weren't even close to onside what about that"?...."...............*silence*........"

So if Marty had done a bit better in his beep test he wouldn't have dropped the ball after bulldozing through defenders for 15-20 meters?
Arguing with you lot is like arguing with a drunk. Fitness is more than beep tests and shuttle runs. Believe what you like, I know what I think you won't be changing my mind.

Ok then, we were obviously dropping balls and doing dumb s hit for no reason at all, just a bad day my mistake.
Actually dropped ball from offside defence and hands on the ball....not being unfit....fitness was shown by defending the line for several sets in a row....plus attitude.
The 3 tries
A lucky Norman kick between 5 players like a pinball into his arms
A Ma'au pass that was a blind fluke - 1000/1
Blake Green missed Gutherson 1 on 1

Actually dropped ball from offside defence and hands on the ball....not being unfit....fitness was shown by defending the line for several sets in a row....plus attitude.
The 3 tries
A lucky Norman kick between 5 players like a pinball into his arms
A Ma'au pass that was a blind fluke - 1000/1
Blake Green missed Gutherson 1 on 1
Yeah you are right, we mostly lose cause of flukes, bad luck and refs. Same reason the good teams are in the top 4 We prob just need to buy better players, that will fix it.

Yeah you are right, we mostly lose cause of flukes, bad luck and refs. Same reason the good teams are in the top 4 We prob just need to buy better players, that will fix it.
Make up your mind
Is it the terrible players ?
Is it the shocking fitness ?

Arguing with you lot is like arguing with a drunk. Fitness is more than beep tests and shuttle runs. Believe what you like, I know what I think you won't be changing my mind.
Please don't change your mind, but understand I have a mind too and I think fitness isn't a problem. Case in point - watching right in front of me us defending our line repeatedly for umpteen sets, especially in the last 20 minutes with no let up.
I'm with @Eagleheart - its that certain players put in 100+%, whilst others putting in 25%.

Please don't change your mind, but understand I have a mind too and I think fitness isn't a problem. Case in point - watching right in front of me us defending our line repeatedly for umpteen sets, especially in the last 20 minutes with no let up.
I'm with @Eagleheart - its that certain players put in 100+%, whilst others putting in 25%.

I get what you guys are saying and the team put in a great effort in defence no doubt, but I noticed at the 20 min mark we were gassed and started to struggle and that is where we went backwards and started with the dumb footy pushing passes and dropping balls. Fatigued players make dumb decisions. Parra were rubbish and we made them look good. Better teams won't let us hold them out for 9 sets. We look better in defence so far which is a positive but jesus our attack was non existent and I put that down to yes having to defend so much but also a lack of fitness. In my opinion and mine only I don't think we have looked sharp in fitness since the new regime took over and probably part of the 15 season too. However we just come off a clean pre season with no injuries so we should all be firing on all cylinders. It is not an attack on our team just my perception of where we are going wrong.

Well if we can't beat Souths without Reynolds and Inglis then we are in trouble. I guess we'll find out soon enough if we are as bad as some people think.

No ones trying to change your mind, you just need to make a better argument. Most people watching that game today would be hard pressed to say we were beaten by a fitter team. There's just no evidence for it. Given our lack of structure, poor game management, some boneheaded plays and poor refereeing, there's a good argument that maybe our fitness actually prevented a cricket score.
Im sorry mate, I just see it differently. We probably survived a cricket score due to the fact that Parra were only marginally better in fitness. all of your points were a contributing factor also.

Parra aren't rubbish, they're a better side than we are, full stop! We've got a lot of new faces who've played a single official game together. We got caught in a vicious cycle early & it was impossible to get out. We were gassed, but any team would've been if they dropped balls, conceded consecutive penalties, had no possession & tackled almost twice as much as their opposition.

Comparing the halves today, I thought Norman played like the million $ player instead of DCE!

Having said that though, the Eels had all the luck and refs go their way which helped.

Chez is a great leader and was working his ass of all game actually. I also noticed him doing quite a bit of tackling, so this may have impacted his game.

Had a look at the stats and Chez did 30 tackles for 80minutes, overall a very close 5th for most tackles in the team. Winterstein did 26 for 70 minutes and Sironen did 34 for 80 minutes. Could be something for our numbers 11 and 12 to work on.

Buhrer however is a number 12 for the Knights and completed 42 tackles for 80 minutes today. Just thought I would throw that in there......!

Comparing the halves today, I thought Norman played like the million $ player instead of DCE!

Having said that though, the Eels had all the luck and refs go their way which helped.

Norman only had 11 tackles compared to Chez's 30, so that may be a factor.

And our lack of possession may not have helped either.

I love Chez, so can be biased when it comes to him, but I thought he was pretty good today and he was working really hard, so the effort was definitely there IMO. And as you pointed out the cheats had all the luck and refs go their way.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 115 12
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 4 5 19 10
10 5 5 -13 10